PDA

View Full Version : ebay tp grinder, what gives?

rockrat
02-19-2006, 09:14 AM
The subject does not quite describe it, but...

What is it with the way things sell on the bay? Example, a few months back I decided to look for a tool post grinder. I had needed one now and again but always got by. I had some x-mas $$ left over and thought I might try my luck at bidding.

Then, all of the Dunmore stuff was hitting $120+ for equipment missing pulleys and belts etc. I watched for about a month and gave up. Today, I saw the search in my favorites and thought that I would look again. There are a few on there for in similar condition for $50 (right now).

Had another similar incident with gear cutters 6 months ago.

It almost seems that everyone gets the same ideas at the same time and poof, all of the sweet deals turn sweet for the sellers and not the buyers.

I'm not saying that there is a conspiracy or something. It just seems like the tool gods are against me at times.

But, if your having a good run, and need a tool post grinder, start looking. Now might be the time for you. One listing had a TPG that would fit a SB lathe nicely.

rock (if it weren’t for bad luck, I'd have no luck) rat

wierdscience
02-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Rock,hide that money!

Awh heck it took me six months to find a reasonable price on a NT40 collet holder.Everybody wanted $180+ for them when I started looking,but after awhile I found one NIB for $56,the week after I bought mine they dropped to $35 http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Rustybolt
02-19-2006, 11:04 AM
Some economics student should write a paper on buying cycles on Ebay.

JCHannum
02-19-2006, 02:16 PM
Track the grinders, even though they may be sitting at $50.00 right now, chances are slim to nothing that that is what they will sell for.

Typical low end final price for a smaller, reasonably good Dumore will be $250.00, up from there. I just did a quick search, there are very few in the $50.00 range.

Bare motors, missing many parts may go cheaper, but you will be stuck with completing them.

Most things on eBay sell in the final two minutes or less any more.

CCWKen
02-19-2006, 06:24 PM
Yep, it happens to me all the time. I see a good deal for $10 on something and when the smoke has cleared, the final sale price is $150. It's usually available brand new for $100. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//rolleyes.gif

I just waisted a week waiting when I could have just ordered it from McMasters and it would be here already. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif

IOWOLF
02-19-2006, 07:13 PM
Just a theary here, somewhere there is an article where some one praised a tool or a machine.Now every one has to have that tool or machine I have seen it happen here.We may not even be aware we read such an article, but our mind knows and now we want one.IMHO

------------------
The tame Wolf !

doug931
02-19-2006, 11:49 PM
Rock, please stay away from the gear cutters for the next two days. I am bidding on some right now. Doug

Alistair Hosie
02-20-2006, 05:03 PM
There are certain times of the year when people don't have spare cash to spend on unneccasery items .For example before Christmas there is plenty of money directly after Christmas and for a few months things are tight in the summer people are going on holiday and are saving all there brass for spending on holidays so don't spend on other things wifes won't let them at other times they are really waiting to offload all spare cash on anything they want.Alistair

rockrat
02-20-2006, 05:44 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by doug931:
Rock, please stay away from the gear cutters for the next two days. I am bidding on some right now. Doug</font>

Ha ha ha....... I am bidding on one! I have about 2 days as well. Sorry for goofing it up for ya! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Alistair Hosie:
There are certain times of the year when people don't have spare cash to spend on unneccasery items</font>

Tax time is comming up. Thought it might be a good time to look around. Maybe a bit early still.

rock-

[This message has been edited by rockrat (edited 02-20-2006).]