PDA

View Full Version : timing belt specifications

snowman
02-24-2006, 08:49 PM
LX136

I need one that is longer. What exactly do the above letters and numbers mean?

it goes on a 7x14 mini lathe, I just want to put a different motor on it.

-Jacob

Leigh
02-24-2006, 09:34 PM
Hi Jacob,

I'm not familiar with that particular identification. McMaster-Carr http://www.mcmaster.com has a large assortment of such items. Perhaps you can find one by description and dimension.

------------------
Leigh W3NLB

sch
02-24-2006, 09:43 PM
McMaster has L series and XL series but not LX series. Maybe Chinese variant. Check the pitch (nominal 5mm or 5 tpi, they are the same) is most likely and tooth shape as per McMasters descriptors then measure the belt length on the outside. If it were L or XL it would 13.6" but who knows, may have nothing to do with that. None of the numbers on the Chinese V belts seem related to Western conventions so why should timing belts. With belt pitch, tooth shape, width and length you should be able to interpolate a timing belt from McMaster's tables to fit.
Steve

DancingBear
02-24-2006, 09:56 PM
I've been wondering myself, I've got a spare belt (got it at LMS) and it stamped "1,5 70". Neither designation really jibes with anything I can find in a catalog.

I'd been toying with the idea of putting a smaller motor pulley on mine to reduce the spindle speed. My first guess was .200 XL. I got a 16-tooth pulley (the stock pulley for the 7x10 is a 17-tooth)from a leading industrial supplier. It did NOT mesh with the spare belt. Further research (checked Stock Drive Product's web site) indicated, based on measurements of the spare pulley that it's really a T5mm. However, that's still a guess, I haven't bought one to confirm it. The tooth profile of my spare belt is less complex than that pictured in SDP's catalog. Then again, that could be due to it's pedigree... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//rolleyes.gif

If you find out anything more definite please post it. I plan on tearing into my lathe soon for maintenance so I may take the plunge on a pulley then (they're really pretty cheap). If so, I'll let you know how it goes.

Walt
Edit to add... SDP's web site:
http://www.sdp-si.com
No connection, just a customer, etc.
They have an online store that lists dimensions of pulleys, belts, etc.

And then edited again to add the url.

[This message has been edited by DancingBear (edited 02-24-2006).]

[This message has been edited by DancingBear (edited 02-24-2006).]

snowman
02-24-2006, 10:23 PM
interesting...

looks like it might be easier to just machine a new pulley for it and use a stocked part http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

-Jacob

TECHSHOP
02-24-2006, 10:47 PM
I found a China site, ChinaBelt?, Tempo International?

They have a 136XL listed

as near as I can figure:

Profile is XL
Pitch is 5.080 (mm?)
Thickness is 2.30(mm?)
Depth of tooth is 1.27(mm?)

pitch lenght is 13.600 inches
and has 68 teeth

If that describes your belt then, maybe you can figure out the what a longer belt would be on the charts

136XL and LX136 may be a "translation" error, working with Chinese speaking people at old work, they often confused N with the Cyrillic (Russian) mirror image.

EDIT fixed a mistake in my typing.
------------------
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

[This message has been edited by TECHSHOP (edited 02-24-2006).]

snowman
02-24-2006, 10:50 PM
It's LX, not XL...so that's where I get confused.

-Jacob

TECHSHOP
02-24-2006, 11:12 PM
snowman:

I fixed a mistake in my last post. I have a "feeling" that the belts are mark by some one who thinks he speaks "Enwish" because no one else around him does. He may not be realizing the "mirror effect" of printing, stamping, etc or the correct "word order" in translation, or the importance to US

EDIT: knock off the air earlier
US left to right reading and writing alphabet users.

Edit again: two screwups, in a row time to go to sleep.
------------------
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Rich Carlstedt
02-24-2006, 11:58 PM
What I believe you have is a tooth belt with a .200 pitch distance.
13.6 inch length divided by .2 is 68, the number of teeth.
so figure out what length you want by making it a multiple .200.
you may find that some lengths are not available ..like the next will be 72 or someother count.

TECHSHOP
02-25-2006, 12:27 AM
Looked over the T5 timing belt specs, and DancingBear post on pully, think that the 5mm being ever so smaller that 0.200in might just add up to one more tooth, and it is a standard metric size. But I just looking at specs, way to early in the morning. But know I am wondering whats in my (slightly bigger)lathe.

------------------