PDA

View Full Version : Chuck jaws for wood lathe?

Alistair Hosie
02-25-2006, 03:59 PM
I have finished the woodoworking clamp I was working on and will post pics soon .As a next project I would like to make some extra chuck jaws for a woodowrking scroll chuck .These come with four jaws and are relatively similar in construction to an engineers chuck except the jaws are diiferent has anyone made these on the metal lathe for wooddturning chuck let me know Alistair ps see here
http://www.toolpost.co.uk/system/index.html

[This message has been edited by Alistair Hosie (edited 02-25-2006).]

CCWKen
02-25-2006, 11:09 PM
All I get from the link is a blank page. ???

Is the chuck a flat scroll or screw type? If I were to go to the trouble of making jaws, I'd make two-piece jaws. The tops would be reversible and you could make different shapes for various tasks.

I was wondering the same thing the other day. I'd have to see if my lathe crossfeed could be geared to the correct tpi to match a scroll thread. Plus, I hate cutting square thread. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif

Alistair Hosie
02-26-2006, 02:32 AM
It is a scroll four jaw. The main problem I forsee is that the chuck design is such that it has in reality four engineers jaws in which the steps have been removed so that they are flat and into this are drilled and tapped into each jaw two holes then the woodturning jaws are manufactured to bolt onto this and are so fixed .I am having difficulty in fathoming out how to match up the holes with the new jaws as I understand the easiest way would be to make the holes in a steel round blank before comencing shaping the jaws how can this best be done as you cannot easily measure the holes and transfer these to the new blank I hope this is clear Alistair

Yankee1
02-26-2006, 01:23 PM
Hello Alistair,
Just take a piece of heavy paper or gasket material and place it against the chuck, then tap the paper with a small ball peen hammer. This will duplicate the mounting holes in the paper. Now you have a pattern to use for laying out the holes in the chuck jaws.
Regards Chuck

Alistair Hosie
02-26-2006, 02:22 PM
Good idea I thought of usin perspex and laying that on top and marking the centre of each hole with an x seems to have worked as I am half way through my first one regards Alistair