PDA

View Full Version : unsolicited eBay offer on Diacro Bender?

mikem
04-11-2004, 03:04 AM
Lost a bid on a Diacro #1 Bender on eBay tonight and got two offers from guys wanting to sell me different ones. What are the chances that one of these is legit? Anyone have any luck buying outside of eBay? One guy's user ID is imsteamer. I would really like to have a #2 or #3, but they are really mucho dinero. Thanks--Mike.

SJorgensen
04-11-2004, 04:37 AM
I won't say that it doesn't happen and sometimes buyers and sellers come together because they became aware of a potential customer by observing Ebay purchases. There is much more risk because your only recourse if the deal is bad is our legal system. It is better when you have a public forum to air your grievances among the peers in the market. Still if you can get assurances that you are satisfied with and the money risked isn't too high, and your gut feeling is right, go for it!

Burn me once shame on you. Burn me twice shame on me. I've made more great deals than bad ones, and I still have faith in people. I would suggest that you do a little research to see if there is some independent information you can verify. Like the persons address or phone book listing. You need at least one or two verifiable pieces of information that will not evaporate after you send your money.

Good luck.

Spence

JCHannum
04-11-2004, 09:57 AM
I think I have seen imsteamer sales, and he might be a good seller. Check his feedback.
eBay makes it difficult to contact someone you are not dealing directly with to prevent this from happening, and I am surprised that two sellers have been able to contact you.
There is a second chance feature that will allow a seller to offer a duplicate item to another bidder for his last bid.
Take a close look at both sellers, and their feedback, they may be reputable, and it wouldn't be any different than buying from any other used equipment dealer.

Spin Doctor
04-11-2004, 11:16 AM
I've been getting them every so often and I never ever open the email (well almost never). But I absolutely never open any attachments. Often these are the result of bids made on a lark. See something neat and I figure, what the heck, $xx plus shipping.

coles-webb
04-11-2004, 11:41 AM
If you want to keep it as an e-bay deal as the seller to list it on e-bay at a prearranged price (he may charge a little more to cover e-bay fees) as a three day auction. It can be listed named as simply a tool or anything else and listed under something other than industrial and not post the photo until the last hour or so (most people don't like bidding on something they can't see). The goal here is to hide the item and obscure it so no one else can find it. The luster would then tell you where to look and hopefully no one else will find it. You would wait until the photo is listed and then put in a bid. If no one else finds it and they shouldn't as a search engine won't find it as it won't be listed as a bender and searching by category won't work as it will be in a different category (something that most guys won't look in) and without a photo until the last hour people won't know what it is. This way you are now both protected by e-bays policies.
I sometimes sell items outside of e-bay by finding people through e-bay and sometimes people are receptive and sometimes they are not. Personally if I had a Diacro Bender I would put it on e-bay as it is a guarantee sale item, the only question is how much I can get for it. Unless the person selling it to you is charging his buy-it-now price he is better off selling at an auction on e-bay he stands a chance of making more money. Myself, I would not purchase a high ticket item directly from someone without something to protect me from crooks. As they say "Buyer Beware"

Mike

wierdscience
04-11-2004, 02:10 PM
Agree on a price and have him post it as a "buy it now" at that price.

CCWKen
04-11-2004, 09:49 PM
Ditto what WS says plus, The seller can make the item viewable only to you.

mikem
04-12-2004, 12:29 AM
Checked him out and his +feedback is 360. He says he has tons of used tooling, including a diacro #2 and #3 benders for sale. What would be a fair price for these? They are really expensive as new but maybe they are going out of fashion since CNC is growing.

Maybe I should try to build one myself if they are too expensive. Thanks--Mike.

tonydacrow
04-12-2004, 12:34 PM
My view? Run as fast and far as you can. Someone willing to cheat E-bay is willing to cheat you. (Amazing how we are often willing to over-look someone's immoral conduct when we may benefit from it!)

Many of these guys are actually off-shore and you will never get your stuff or your money back. It's also very easy to inflate good feed back with bogus sales of small $ items. My three biggest recommendations are RUN, RUN, and RUN! If you still want to go ahead with it, I think Weird's idea is the best way to execute a bad idea...

ponytl
11-20-2004, 10:14 PM
I have 3 of these benders 1#2 & 2 #3 and no tooling except a few pins... if you need a #3 (i think it's a #3) it's about 18" or so outside dia. with the factory stand/storage area under make me a fair offer i was think'n of putting it on ebay... only found this site & this forum in my search for tooling/dies for my unit... these jokers are heavy... the ones i have were used in a public school shop class and even they couldn't tear em up... ur welcome to email me tell me whats a fair price... (don't know that any price is worth me move'n it around and pack'n for shipping...but i'd rather someone that would use it have it) let me know i'm in memphis tn... so if ur anywhere close it'd be great if u could pick it up...
ponytl@aol.com

CCWKen
11-20-2004, 10:24 PM
Ebay allows a seller to set up a private sale to one individual. There's no need to try and hide it. The only person that can see it is the named buyer. Do it that way or take the risk alone.

Amity
11-21-2004, 12:10 AM
Cant ya just call the guy? Get a mailing addy? I mean Ebay is great, but it is not immoral to buy outside it? Is it?

Just because someone knows how to find a customer does not make them a thief, just smart?

CCWKen
11-21-2004, 12:35 AM
1. The process is against Ebay policy. (Using ebay to solicit off-site buys.)
2. You increase your chances of being ripped-off with no recourse.
3. Con artist are VERY good at finding customers.
4. If the seller is willing to break with policy, he probably has little regard for your satisfaction.

Tinkerer
11-21-2004, 12:48 AM
I don't know crooks are quite clever.. are you sure that the offer came from the person you think it did. Or is it some Cyber Con using a good ID to victimize to both of you... something to think about. Got to be careful.

If it is the guy just have him list it as a BIN and send you the item # because it takes a couple hours for a newly listed item to get into the general search.

[This message has been edited by Tinkerer (edited 11-20-2004).]

chief
11-21-2004, 08:18 AM
I have sold things in the same manner if I happen to have more than one or done want to fool around with ebay, tell him to send pic,phone and address.

JCHannum
11-21-2004, 08:52 AM
This thread was started six months ago. It has been reopened by someone huckstering his tools.

The advice given is good, but it is in response to someone selling where it is not appreciated.

Toolmaker Extrodinair
11-21-2004, 08:57 AM
ebay will not do anything for you, lost money before on crooked deal. seller said he did not receive money order, then cashes it 6 months later. never received merchandise and USPS came after me for refund of money order. so ebay is no safer.

Caradoc
02-25-2006, 11:53 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JCHannum:
[B]This thread was started six months ago. It has been reopened by someone huckstering his tools.

Well, it's now been more than a year and I found it interesting reading, including the guy who has 3 benders and no tooling for them. I just picked up some tooling at what seem to be absurdly high prices on Ebay but not as high as the 2 grand that was recently paid for a Di-Acro #2 with tooling.

I disagree with the idea that these will become cheaper because of CNC. More likely, having a bunch of baby boomers retire and start messing around in their home workshops will keep the price up. A fellow could make a living by producing tooling for these benders.

Caradoc

Too_Many_Tools
02-26-2006, 01:05 AM
"I disagree with the idea that these will become cheaper because of CNC. More likely, having a bunch of baby boomers retire and start messing around in their home workshops will keep the price up. A fellow could make a living by producing tooling for these benders."

LOL...I too laughed when I saw that comment....or should I say "wishful thinking".

The Diacro line of equipment is top notch construction and there is always a need for a setup that does the one of a kind custom jobs that a commercial shop or a HSM shop constantly has.

Diacro equipment does hold its price and will continue too...just check Ebay for the proof.

TMT

MikeHenry
02-26-2006, 09:16 AM
If one of the offers came from imsteamer21 it is probably legitimate. I've dealt with him before and he seems like a decent sort. He also advertises in HSM.

There have been a number of #2 Diacro benders on Ebay recently, but shipping is probably a killer. I just bought two #2 benders and drove from Chicago to the Twin Cities to pick them up - the gas or the 800+ mile round trip was less than shipping would have been and the seller wouldn't have shipped anyway.

Diacro seems to be undergoing some financial problems - their web site only says "Di-acro will reopen January 2006". That might drive up prices, or maybe the reverse since accessories will no longer be available.

Speaking of accessories: you might want to grab whichever bender is best tooled. PKE just auctioned off a bunch of Diacro #2 tooling on Ebay and they brought more than the two benders I bought. Much of it looks pretty easy to make in a home shop, unless it needs to be heat treated. Does anyone know if that is the case?

Mike

tomb
02-27-2006, 11:53 AM
I have a friend who sells videotapes and CDs on ebay as a hobby. When he sees someone lost out on a bid for an item someone else was selling - he emails them with a lower offer if he has the same item in stock. I'm not sure what programs he uses - but I find it amusing. He tells me he does pretty well with this hobby. So, it could be a scam , or not. I'd take my chances on a $5 movie, not sure I'd do it on pricey tools or machines. Good luck.