PDA

View Full Version : Every once in a while you're in the right spot at the right time !!

Your Old Dog
02-24-2006, 09:15 PM
Scored this grey 3x5 filing cabinet from my employer today! It's very heavy duty. Now that just about everything is computerized I asked them if it was going to be used now that all the remodeling is done in the offices. It will sure be nice to have a place for the myriad of screw/bolts and whatnot that needs organized!

http://www.raysstuff.com/shop/hsm/cabstorage.jpg

TECHSHOP
02-24-2006, 09:22 PM
I will not covet your shop storage,

It's going to be too small, now I feel better http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

------------------
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

SJorgensen
02-24-2006, 10:16 PM
You will soon know why you really need 5 more. And you'll be compelled to pay retail!

WJHartson
02-25-2006, 12:47 AM
Since it doesn't match you red tool box you should sent it to me freight prepaid.

Nice score.

Joe

Millman
02-25-2006, 02:49 AM
YOD, Been looking for something similar you lucky dog! I could use 2 of those; still looking!

------------------
BFH

model a
02-25-2006, 05:32 AM
I bought 6 of the letter size file cabinets from CA state surplus sale for $15 each. They had the metal dividers in them so I welded the dividers to the sides of the drawer, to make a deep drawer. On other drawers I made a sliding shelf from 2 bottom bracket on the dividers. I bought some of those plastic bins from HF and have a double decker small parts storage drawer. A lot cheaper than a Vidmar.

Your Old Dog
02-25-2006, 07:29 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by model a:
I made a sliding shelf from 2 bottom bracket on the dividers. I bought some of those plastic bins from HF and have a double decker small parts storage drawer. A lot cheaper than a Vidmar.</font>

Thats a neat idea and it gives me the ability for even more small parts storage. These drawers are about 4 1/2 inches deep. If they were filled with bolts they'd be too heavy for safety concerns. Your idea allows me to "double-deck" Half of a drawer which would add little more than 1 1/2 sqft of flat space.

I mentioned this here once before but a few years ago the wife and I were $aleing over in Warsaw NY and this guy had two of the heavy duty map filing cabinets with about 10 drawers each about 1 1/2 inch deep. MARKED "SOLD" at $50.00 each! One other year I missed a 250 Yamaha dirt bike that still had the tits on the knobby tires. I thought it was in remarkable shape considering it was on second set of tires and looked so clean. Actually that was still the first set of tires. It had 35 miles on the speedometer and sold for $250.00. It was 8 years old and evidentally some one fell down go boom and never got back on it. They lost the title and didn't want to fool with it. Soooooo as the post id goes, Sometimes you aren't in the right place at the right time and someoone else is !! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 02-25-2006).]

nheng
02-25-2006, 07:45 AM
YOD, That's a nice looking cabinet with decent drawer height for drill chucks, shorter collet sets, etc. too. Depending on the actual height, some plastic storage containers (tackle storage boxes) make good drawer organizers when you rip the covers off them.

Another, even older file unit that might be convertable for drills, reamers and small hardware is the old flip card files where the account cards lie flat. The things are deceptively heavy for their size.

Den

Lew Hartswick
02-25-2006, 10:10 AM
Looks like a 2 wide Punched card file. We have
one at school that I have used for odds and
ends hardware, pins, rivets, shim stock, etc.
Very handy.
...lew...

PTSideshow
02-25-2006, 10:48 AM
Just a bit of info if you live near a medium to large school systems. most of the big ones have a office that sells stuff deemed surplus. Having worked for a school system for over 30 years as an engineer. I was able to come up with all kinds of buys that boogle the mind.
They sell the stuff so cheap so they can get rid of it at the lowest cost to them.
As it was explained to me if we do it any other way with all the cost involed with it and the paper work for bidding. Holding a garage type sale with walk in people/buyers.
they still make some money on them.Because if the junk it they still have to pay fopr dumpsters haul away or dumping fees. so give them a call. you may be surprised at what you might be able to pick up.

------------------
Glen
Been there, probally broke it doing that

Wirecutter
02-25-2006, 11:27 AM
I've fantasized about scoring one of those old card catalogs from my old elementary school library. They look nice (despite contact with the grubbies of thousands of kids), they're the right size for storing any number of "whatsits", and there are lots and lots of drawers.

YOD - how old is that big red Craftsman? I got one that looks a lot like it (but slightly smaller) a couple of years ago. I've been a bit disappointed with it - the construction seems a bit - well - Chinese. I'm much happier with the big stainless job I got at Costco a year or so earlier, but they don't have it anymore.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TECHSHOP:
</font>

-M

Evan
02-25-2006, 11:41 AM
Nice. Has it ever occured to anyone else that ceilings are an incredible waste of horizontal flat space?

Milacron of PM
02-25-2006, 12:01 PM
Just to be the one sourpuss in all this, I can't resist pointing out that I've owned some of those cabinets over the years and looking back on it now, they sucked !

Why ?

1. Drawer bearings being designed to hold paper, didn't roll very well with heavy weights

2. Drawers designed for punch cards had annoying cut outs in drawer bottoms

3. Drawers just never seemed to fit what I wanted to fit in them very well, and no dividers unless you made some custom somehow.

4. Too narrow overall (see no. 3)

But mostly it was no. 1 that was the largest annoyance...just don't roll very well compared to a proper Lista/Vidmar, etc cabinet.

But if free or nearly so, what the heck..

Milacron of PM
02-25-2006, 12:17 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">ceilings are an incredible waste of horizontal flat space? </font>

Not always...the doctor in Maine I bought my Schaublin 160 lathe from, had a 12,000 lb Mazak machining center in his home *basement* where he cut out the ceiling just enough to receive the head of the VMC as it rose. He arranged it so the head rose in his bedroom closest upstairs.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

kc5ezc
02-25-2006, 03:40 PM
Hey Guys: Look at www.publicsurplus.com (http://www.publicsurplus.com) for used school stuff. Most will not ship but you can search for your state and school.
John Burchett
in Byng OK

wierdscience
02-26-2006, 10:47 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wirecutter:
I've fantasized about scoring one of those old card catalogs from my old elementary school library. They look nice (despite contact with the grubbies of thousands of kids), they're the right size for storing any number of "whatsits", and there are lots and lots of drawers.

YOD - how old is that big red Craftsman? I got one that looks a lot like it (but slightly smaller) a couple of years ago. I've been a bit disappointed with it - the construction seems a bit - well - Chinese. I'm much happier with the big stainless job I got at Costco a year or so earlier, but they don't have it anymore.

-M</font>

One tip on those card files,if you intend to fill one with bolts,you need to add two pieces of 3/4 plywood to the bottm and one to the back,don't ask how I know http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Wirecutter
02-26-2006, 11:40 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wierdscience:
One tip on those card files,if you intend to fill one with bolts,you need to add two pieces of 3/4 plywood to the bottm and one to the back,don't ask how I know http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif</font>

Cripes! Well there had to be a reason someone else didn't already do it. Now that I remember correctly, right - those things had just a rod going through the cards, but not really a bottom.

lwalker
02-27-2006, 11:56 AM
I had my eye on one at a garage sale but the wife saw it first and won't give it up :-) It's nice, too: brass pulls on the drawers. Paid $5 for the thing and to make matters worse, I missed out on a Delta Shopmaster drill press for $15 at the same garage sale by about 30 seconds.

I guess the take home lesson for me was "you snooze, you lose!"

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wirecutter:
-M</font>

Milacron of PM
02-27-2006, 10:17 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Cripes! Well there had to be a reason someone else didn't already do it. Now that I remember correctly, right - those things had just a rod going through the cards, but not really a bottom.</font>

There are different varities of the punch card cabinets...some have a full bottom but most I encountered at state surplus had an open slot about 3/4 inch wide below where the rod went. So, a 1/4 plywood insert for the bottom would generally be fine.

Some are one piece drawers and others have two sections per drawer that you can pull out seperately...kinda handy for setting the contents down somewhere else temporarily. But I still don't like them much for reasons previously stated.