PDA

View Full Version : Document on Taper Turning

miker
08-17-2001, 03:21 AM
Glad it worked and you found the articles useful. The latest edition of that book published by TAFE (Technical And Further Education) devotes only a few paragraphs to the same topic.
What really prompted me to post it was fig 120 on page number 65. I was confused in an earlier post a few weeks back when setting a compound slide on an American lathe at 90 degrees meant the same physical setting on my lathe is 0 degrees. Need to keep this in mind when reading future posts.

model a ,the pages are in order, they just start from the bottom. TT1 - TT17. I liked the way that in the the Ford page TT17, they superimposed a right triangle on the drawing to clarify what was happening.

Gunna, Yes you have to rock it into gear using the chuck. I am used to it now. What I did do was print out a chart of the speeds starting with the lowest RPM and printing the gear lever combination next to that. Hung it on the wall. Now I just look at the speed I want and it shows me the gear lever combination rather than searching through the table printed on the front of the headstock.
rgds.

------------------
Michael

Australia

[This message has been edited by miker (edited 08-17-2001).]

miker
08-17-2001, 03:53 AM
retry last post didn't show up.

miker
03-03-2006, 10:24 PM
I just scanned 17 pages of info on Taper Turning that may be of use to other newbies.
It comes from a 1960's college text book and is quite detailed. I also added one page from the Ford shop Manual explaining the effect of setting the compound slide at 30 degrees.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v448/mikerr/

Unfortunately they came out a little light on Photobucket but still print off ok. The original scans in my computer are much better.
I hope the info is useful to someone.

------------------
Michael

Australia

[This message has been edited by miker (edited 03-03-2006).]

CCWKen
03-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Hmmmmmmmm. Might be nice but all I get is your login screen. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif

miker
03-03-2006, 10:55 PM
I hoped that I edited the URL before anyone tried it. Try the one that is there now. Sorry. First time I have done this.

------------------
Michael

Australia

CCWKen
03-03-2006, 11:15 PM
Nope. Ctrl/Refresh didn't bring it up either. Check to see if you have your albums public. It's the only way to let others see them.

Bill Cook
03-03-2006, 11:23 PM
Perhaps if you copy and post the url's for each scan. I haven't been able to figure out a way to post a link to any of my albums.

BC

miker
03-03-2006, 11:31 PM
Just made it public. Thanks for the patience. I am on very slow dial up.
Please try it now.

------------------
Michael

Australia

model a
03-04-2006, 01:57 AM
There is some good information in that article, once I figured out that the pages aren't in order. That is a great idea that Ford came up with using the compound for accurate spacer cutting.

Gunna
03-04-2006, 04:18 AM
Hi Miker,
You have the same lathe as me,how do you find it, mine is a pain getting into gear, no positive stops for feed speeds, I have maked them with felt pen. thanks for the taper turn info.
WA

Evan
03-06-2006, 10:00 AM
bump