PDA

View Full Version : OT- a skunk under the house.

Scottike
08-17-2001, 08:10 AM
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Got that Sucka! Pulled the trap Yesterday morning to take back to animal control, the dirty skunk stole the bait! Rebaited a little differently and reset the trap. Checked it this morning and I got the little guy! I loaded him into the back of the truck and dropped him about 6 or 7 miles up in the state forest(and across 6 or 7 creeks). I reset the trap and will keep set through the weekend just to make sure there isn't more than one. Went real smooth, no spray, no muss, no fuss. (Thank God!) http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Scottike
02-28-2006, 08:01 PM
OK so does any body have any experence their willing to share on this topic? Home made traps, prevention, how they handled it, etc.?
I might have to move.

Evan
02-28-2006, 08:02 PM
Throw in a bunch of mothballs. It got rid of the skunk in my barn.

torker
02-28-2006, 08:10 PM
I had a dirty little bugger under my house once. He sprayed under it too when my dog tried to chase him out.
This all happened at 2 am.
I got my paint sprayer out and sprayed a bunch of smelly cellulose lacquer under where he was. He couldn't get out of there fast enough http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
The lacquer smell went away in a couple days. Helped mask the skunk smell also.
I killed the rest of the smell with a couple of treatments of enzymes.

Scottike
02-28-2006, 08:21 PM
What Kind of enzimes did you use Torker?

CCWKen
02-28-2006, 08:25 PM
Evan is right. Get a bunch of mothballs and pitch them in around where you can get. If you have an access panel behind the tub, open that and drop some in. Also check for openings around any plumbing locations. (Sink drains, etc.)

Don't try to trap or bait him. If he feels threatened, he'll spray and you'll have a stench for months. I say "he" but it might be a she looking to set up house. Many times, they'll just leave on there own to look for food. Don't leave any dog food out and put trash in the garage or secured storage.

torker
02-28-2006, 08:28 PM
It's some stuff that our big garden center sells in the pet/livestock section.
You mix it with water and spray it with a sprayer. It works great on skunk and cat smells.
We run a 40 room motel and sometimes people sneak cats in and you know what happens sometimes.
The enzymes get rid of the smell(for good) in a day or so.
I can't remember the name but can find out.

lugnut
02-28-2006, 08:29 PM
After reading your post I made a search on google for "skunk removal" and there is lot of good info there! We had a skunk under our house once and the fire dept chased it out with a smoke bomb. Hope you don't have to get him excited so he thinks he has to defend himself.
LOL
Mel

TGTool
02-28-2006, 09:16 PM
A friend of mine had a cabin up by the Mississippi that had a family of skunks move in under it. He said he tried everything he could think of to move them out, short of dynamite, but without success. Finally, in desperation or maybe inspiration he tossed a bunch of lutefisk underneath, lutefisk being a dried codfish which is reconstituted with a lye preparation and much esteemed, I'm told, in Nordic areas.

Well, it worked like a charm to get the skunks to move out but it created one other problem for him - then he couldn't get rid of the Norwegians. LOL

spope14
02-28-2006, 09:22 PM
Mothballs. Worked for me, and I hit the edges of the yard with them once in a while to keep the cats out of the yard and garden.

J Tiers
02-28-2006, 10:33 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TGTool:

Well, it worked like a charm to get the skunks to move out but it created one other problem for him - then he couldn't get rid of the Norwegians. LOL</font>

Didn't he know to decoy them out with lefsa and lingonberry jam?

Do that and then slam the door. After a week or so they'll get tired of looking for that hole in the wall and go away. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

charlie coghill
02-28-2006, 10:51 PM
Ok here is my experience with skunks under the house.
Set a live trap where they are getting under the house. When the skunk is in the trap get a blue plastic tarp with a couple of long sticks in the cornors. Keep the tarp in front of you and move the tarp over the trap very slowly. Make sure the trap is covered with the tarp so he can not see out. Than slip a pipe under the tarp that is big enough to go over the exhaust pipe of your car. Idle the car about 30 minutes.

In my case I used the lawn mower, he was not dead at that time so I picked up the trap and skunk, loaded them in the back of the truck and removed the skunk to other parts of the country, opened the trap dumped him out and left.

Bet you thought that I was going to get skunked, didn't you? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif You may not have the luck that I did. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Jpfalt
03-01-2006, 12:56 AM
My neighbor caught a skunk in a live trap and shot it twice with a .22 pistol. Betwen the first and second shots the skunk let him have it with both barrels. The skunk died and Carl wished that he had.

tattoomike68
03-01-2006, 01:46 AM
I shot a skunk in a live trap , the yard stunk for weeks.

putting the trap in the truck and dumping it was the worst , I damn near puked.

If I were sprayed by a skunk I would die , I know I would puke to death.

Rustystud
03-01-2006, 07:11 AM
Skunks:

It is best the skunk does not spray under the house, period. You need to make them want to leave without exciting them. You what to make then not want to come back.
Dogs, cats, and personal contact are not good ideas. Live trapping should be done away from the premises. Skunks are nocturnal. If your basement or crawl space is dark then light it up. They don't like light. They will leave. You may want to smoke them out as well. You don't want to kill them while they are under the house. You also don't want to kill your family or pets. Smoke will dissapate in a couple of hours. The combination of light and smoke usually runs them out. Then seal up the space to keep them out. You may want to add a radio on a talk show to also keep them up on their feet. Skunks sleep during the day.
If you disturb their metabolisim they will leave.
Good luck stinker...
Rustystud

paulgrandy
03-01-2006, 07:45 AM
When I was a kid I used to trap Bobcats. I'd catch a lot of skunks. So me and my buddy took my kid brother along. We'd shoot the skunk and then have him go get the skunk out of the trap. Then we'd make him ride in the back of my buddies truck all the way home. My mom would give us hell. I'd just say, "Sherm was skunked again".

Just get a Havahart trap and catch the skunk, and then have someone else take it and release it somewhere else. Preferably in someones yard that you don't like.

hdacman
03-01-2006, 09:03 AM
If you use a small, live trap, one that is small enought that the skunk cant get his tail up, he wont be in a hurry to spray.

I had a friend end up with a skunk in his basement last summer. It ripped through a screen and crawled through the window. Was in the basement for 3 days before they finally trapped him. Used small live trap and Cheetos cheese balls for bait. Never sprayed.

JoelM
03-01-2006, 09:17 AM
I accidentally made my own pepper gas a while back. I think I was going to cook some green beans. Put on a pot of water, a little salt, and about a teaspoon of crushed red pepper for a little zing. Went on the computer, forgot about the pot. suddenly I couldn't breathe, my eyes watered, I was choking and couldn't figure out what was happening. My throat had almost completely closed off. There was no odor. I checked the pot which was almost dry, and turned it off.
It took almost an hour to air the house out.
I haven't had reason to try it yet, but sometimes a field rat will take up residence in the crawl space. Maybe I'll cook him a pot of green beans if he shows up again. Just a hot plate, an old pot and a drop cord should do it.

Kansas_Farmer
03-01-2006, 10:25 AM
LOL....skunks....bah..

I made a huge mistake one day during wheat harvest. See, back in the day, we cut all of our own wheat. We had a Deere 7720 Titan II machine. It was say, close to 7 in the evening, and Dad said it was my turn to run the combine while he ate supper. So, just as he was on his way back to trade with me, I ran one through the combine. I caught my first sight of him just as he rolled under the platform auger and into the feederhouse. I knew this was a bad idea.... You can imagine whats going to happen when there's only 1/16th an inch clearance between the cylinder bars and the concave. Well, I didn't say anything to Dad..he got in the machine, and I tried to get away in the tractor...that didn't work. He hollered at me on the radio and told me that I could have the pleasure of runnin the combine for the rest of the night.

That stunk and cost me supper that day...My day was going well until then...

I miss farmin....lol

yf
03-01-2006, 11:01 AM
Many years ago somone told me that skunks love chocolate.

I was upstate at the time.

He demonstarted by throwing a piece of chocholate covered doughnut off the fire escape towards the area where we had seen skunks earlier.

Less than a minute later a skunk appears and eats the doughnut.

Steel Wheels
03-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Years ago we had a skunk under the porch.At first it was a skunk.Then we found out it was a pregnant mama. she had 5 babies that followed my wife around like little kittens.We finally got the animal control people to get rid of them. They live trapped and took them away and put mothballs under the porch. They never sprayed.

Wirecutter
03-01-2006, 12:53 PM
We had skunks take up residence under a building where I once went to school. One of the braver (or more foolish?) kids got one to eat saltines from his hand. Suckers were pretty shy, but they were all about getting food.

The "administration" found out about this and set up a live trap. They put it outside about 8 feet from the building in an area of low human traffic. Some of the kids hassled the skunk in the trap, but it never sprayed. Finally, a group of us decided that it was mean to leave the thing in the trap. I was the one that reset the trap and chocked it open to set the little guy loose. The skunk looked around suspiciously for a minute or two, then waddled off. Still never sprayed.

Later, I think they trapped it again and whisked it away somewhere before it could be "freed". They were pretty mad over the skunk's liberation...

Carl
03-01-2006, 01:53 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v35/lathefan/53546ba8.gif http://www.stripersonline.com/ubb547/smilies/skunk.jpg

[This message has been edited by Carl (edited 03-01-2006).]

kf1002002
03-01-2006, 02:01 PM
We have a skunk living under the deck we live in mutual tolerance. It has never bothered us, it keeps the white grubs down and keeps the dogs out of the yard. I don't see what your problem is.

Ken

Lynn Standish
03-01-2006, 03:52 PM
Had a friend who liked to fish and hunt. He had a young shorthair pointer that he hunted pheasants with. The dog didn't have any formal training, but had pretty good instincts. Unfortunately, Ted didn't encourage the dog to hold a point. Instead, he would tell the dog "get it" when the dog went on point, causing the dog to flush the bird so he could shoot.

Several of us kept telling him that wasn't proper, and that when the dog pointed, he should move forward and flush the bird while the dog held the bird with his point.

Ted finally capitulated and promised to try it that way next time. He reported that he had taken the dog out to hunt a sugar beet (think giant turnip) field, and the dog had gone on point, whereupon he immediately moved forward to the spot where his dog appeared to be pointing, and began kicking at the beet leaves to flush the bird. Unfortunately, he kicked a skunk dead in the ass, and he and the dog got their just reward. His wife wouldn't let either of them in the house or garage when he got home, either.

Scottike
03-01-2006, 07:33 PM
I have no problem with "Live and Let Live" even with a skunk. But, when I smell'em when I walk in the door to the house, enough is enough. This skunk(s) got no respect for other folks. Time for 'em to go! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//mad.gif

Wirecutter
03-01-2006, 08:07 PM
Let me be clear - I was young and pretty ignorant. Nowdays, I don't mind skunk smell at a distance, but up close and strong, it's truly awful. If one took up residence anywhere near my house, I'd act to get rid of it, as quickly as possible. Humanely comes right behind that, and largely because if they go on their own, they seem less likely to stink the place up.

I think I'd start with the mothballs, then move on to the flamethrower.

TECHSHOP
03-01-2006, 09:03 PM
De skonk's territory ain't negoshable.

------------------
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Scottike
03-01-2006, 09:38 PM
With 3 boxes of mothballs scattered under the house, I think he might be getting the hint.
If not, maybe he/she will go for the bacon in the skunk trap I got from the animal control folks. I AM Smarter and More Determined than it. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//tongue.gif

Mcostello
03-01-2006, 10:09 PM
After a few years of trapping various critters, the only thing I can say is --we will have to see if the skunk is smarter or more determined. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif(You might not be-if its a citified skunk it may have gone to school!)

barts
03-02-2006, 12:34 AM
Skunks are like cats; they don't seem to like getting wet.

Arrange for their hideout to be in range of a sprinkler...

- Bart

J. Randall
03-02-2006, 01:45 AM
Mothballs did not work for me. My mother had a family of five under her house one winter. After the mothballs failed we finally trapped them all. Her house smelled like skunk and mothballs for months. James

Kansas_Farmer
03-02-2006, 09:42 AM
"Her house smelled like skunk and mothballs for months"

Which is worse??

torker
03-02-2006, 12:50 PM
I remembered to check the name of the enzymes I use.
There isn't really a name. This appears to be a "house brand" that this comany sells.
The only manufacterer name is "Bio Engineering Enzyme"
It works well...sorry I can't give you more info.

Scottike
03-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Thanks Torker, Smells like things are getting better, Either the mothballs are working or the skunk is learning some manners. I haven't checked the trap yet this morning, but if I don't get 'em by friday I'll take it back to animal control and call it good. I'm just glad it's mating season and not birthing season. I'll give it month or so, and then get under the house and repair insulation, and find it's entrance/exit(s). http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif Barring any more activity. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif

HWooldridge
03-02-2006, 05:58 PM
They also don't like diesel sprayed around where they are living. Must smell like a skunk... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

I had to shoot one in the garage once. He wandered in and would not leave so I finally popped him in the head with a 22. My grandpa always said they won't spray with a brain shot and that proved correct but it did dribble. The odorant is a bright green - although only about a teaspoon came out and I treated the spot with bleach, the smell could still be detected a couple years later when the weather got damp. It finally faded after 4-5 years. I relate this story in case you need to shoot one.

spope14
03-02-2006, 09:26 PM
Skunks under the house, yeah, had one under my porch attached to the porch. 9 inch clearance, the thing was chased under the porch by my big old dog. Sprayed like crazy. Just two weeks before Christmas to boot. Skunk was chased under at 5:30 a.m., and by 6:00 a.m. the house was uninhabitable. The skunk hit the sill, the porch, and the front wall under the porch. The smell so bad it soaked into our clothes we were wearing. Daughters were sent home from school, I took the day off after the AHOLE boss of mine was himself and made tremendous issue about it - even after I changed. Took the week off in sic days after that because he was an AHOLE.

Dog got hit three times. Doig comes into house and rolls around on carpet and jumps on couch and then runs upstairs and hides under bed. STINK!!!!!!!!!

Wife starts to go to work, then goes to mother in laws about two blocks away - crying. Daughter gets 86'd from school - crying. Youngest gets sent home from nursery - crying. They spend next 12 days - until Christmas eve at mother in laws. I am pissed off beyond pissed off by this time. Dog gets five baths. Three needed, probably two more because i am so irritated. Bed - brand new queen size mattress - ruined. Couch, ruined cushions. Bedroom carpet and living room carpet - gone beyond repair, but washable I would have to find out. bed had to be thrown out.

next ten days - sprayed the sill, wall, and the porch underside with pure bleach and some skunk enzyme. Cleaned carpets, and everything I could fine nightly as well. All clothes out of closets and out of drawers needed washing, did this 4 times over.

Dog was a great help. Twelve days before Christmas, tree was up. Big old dog was mad we were all gone, he ate the tree, as well as the Christmas cards I had intended to send, and MY GIFTS to my wife and kids. Damed dog..... I stayed in the house, showered twice each day, and wore new clothes each day from Walmart - preventing smell.

Yeah, be careful.

Whole escapade cost me about 3K all said and done. My house was so clean it was crazy. Yeah, I "handled it" like crap. To this day, ten years later, I see a black and white cat, want to shoot it for mere association. I absolutely hate skunks.

[This message has been edited by spope14 (edited 03-02-2006).]

Scatterplot
03-02-2006, 09:40 PM
http://www.planethalflife.com/holywars/manual/images/chaingun.jpg

Kansas_Farmer
03-02-2006, 11:59 PM
^^^^^ I like the way this feller thinks!

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

J. Randall
03-03-2006, 12:55 AM
Kansas Farmer, the skunk smell is probably the worse, but the combo is terrible. James

Evan
03-06-2006, 12:06 PM
bump