PDA

View Full Version : drill chuck key

charlie coghill
08-17-2001, 06:50 AM
Rich I must have stole them than. Our local ACE hardware had them for almost $3.00.

sailor69
03-02-2006, 11:56 AM
I bought a new hitachi drill press from Lowe's two months ago and it does not have a chuck key for it. The chuck is a Jacobs knockoff and it says 1-16 mm J3 on it. anyone know where I can buy a chuck key for this? by the way, Hitachi does not, I repeat does not honor their warranties. Mine drill press also came with a damaged and unusable motor in freight and they are uncooperative in replacing it. I bought a new one myself. Beware.

jkilroy
03-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Bring that biatch back to Home Depot and tell them where they can stuff it.

sailor69
03-02-2006, 01:00 PM
yea, I went there and they pretty much told me to stuff it. It was Lowe's by the way. I would love to take it back but it was all could do to put it in the basement, it was in the box then. There is no way I will try to wrestle it back up and try to put it in my car assembled. Im 63!

John Garner
03-02-2006, 01:16 PM
sailor69 --

The Ace Hardware in my neighborhood has a good assortment of chuck keys, making me think an Ace in your area might have what you're after.

John

Tin Falcon
03-02-2006, 02:36 PM
Sailor:
I agree with John check your local Ace Hardware. The one here also has a good asorment of chucks and keys.
Tin

hitnmiss
03-02-2006, 03:00 PM
We've got a new Lowes in our town.

Looks like I won't be shopping there!

cam m
03-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Sailor

I have no idea of your resources and can empathsize re your warranty woes. IF I had the resources, I would take this opportunity to invest in a keyless chuck and arbor for the drill press and be done with the chuck key nonsense forever. I have 4 keyless chucks. The cheaper models on the cordless drills are admittedly of limited merit. The mid range(pricewise) units I have for my 1440 lathe and 17" drill press have convinced me that they're worthwhile. Neither of them have cost more than $80 CDN. Incidentally they WILL tighten up rather than slipping, but I have yet to have to resort to tools to release them using up to 1" twist drills in the lathe.
Cam
Yeah, I editted to correct my less than award winning typing.

[This message has been edited by cam m (edited 03-02-2006).]

sailor69
03-02-2006, 03:40 PM
I have a ACO here, I would guess they are pretty much the same. My concern is; are the chuck keys standard? It does say J3 on the chuck. maybe later I can pop for the keyless chuck. I am spending a lot of cash on this shop so far.Still looking for a 14 in. bandsaw and 6in, jointer. Later I will be looking for a Clausing 8520 mill.

JCHannum
03-02-2006, 03:58 PM
J3 is probably the Jacobs Taper of the chuck mount and not related to the key size. If the chuck follows Jacobs practice, measuring the hole for the key and buying one with that diameter pilot should get you a key that fits.

GM69camaro
03-02-2006, 04:56 PM
I had the same problem with a HF drill press. After screwiing around with the customer service dept for 6 months I gave up. Eventually I found it by accident hidden behind the on/off switch panel. Maybe that is where yours is??

Gordon

sailor69
03-02-2006, 04:58 PM
funny about hiding the Key, I will look further

nheng
03-02-2006, 05:08 PM
Sailor69, Get your local TV news to report on how seniors are taken advantage of by some stores. You'll probably have a shiney new drill press delivered and the old one picked up , along with an apology and maybe some coupons http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Around here, they always save the last 5 minutes of the 11 pm news to report on some funky consumer product alert, unsafe foods, how to drive safely on ice, etc., etc.

Millman
03-03-2006, 02:51 AM
You know how to grasp that chuck key in your hand and imbed it 3" up that managers nostrils? Then, you may win the day. People who take advantage of other's bad judgment, should be executed on sight.

------------------
BFH

Millman
03-03-2006, 02:53 AM
Yeah; Kinda, like fire ants.

------------------
BFH

Wirecutter
03-03-2006, 10:55 AM
Sailor -
Sorry to hear of your woes with Lowes. I really like getting great service, and bad service burns me up. Therefore, I'm tempted to agree with Millman on this one - I'd be tempted to "install" the drill chuck somewhere on the store manager's person.

Seriously though, the publicity idea may help out. Maybe a local TV or radio station could use a little info?

sailor69
03-03-2006, 03:04 PM
I checked behind the switch panel and no key but I could see there is a lot of room there for more then one. Thanks for all your support, I will forget about buying anything more at Lowe's,That tool manager was just plain nasty! I have a "home depot" here about the same distance, I will just shop there.No big deal! I have the drill press running, I just had to buy a new motor, and a chuck key.

matador
03-03-2006, 03:33 PM
"just had to buy a new motor"!On a brand new drill press?NO WAY!.
(rant mode on)With this sort of issue,you always go straight to the top.Don't bother with the minions.And if that fails,I'd definitely go the route nheng advocates.Make as much noise as you can.This sort of shoddy dealing has NO place in business,no matter where you are.
If nothing else it will stop a few other people getting ripped off by these lowlifes.
(rant off).
By the way,did you try contacting Hitachi direct?I'm sure they must have an American office or something.Might be worth a try.

------------------
Hans

charlie coghill
03-03-2006, 05:33 PM
I shop at Lowes only as a last resort. When Lowes first opened in town, I had the wife get me 6 half inch X 6 inch SHCS. She paid almost $5.00 apiece. I took them back and told the customer service desk that 5 dollars was too much. That I did not mind a roll in the hay but I did not like supplying the vaceline.

Besides that You can not get any help from the staff.

George Hodge
03-03-2006, 06:54 PM
The wife and I wondered about Lowes outdoor color scheme on the building,come to find out,it's a relative of the big Wally's chinese stores in so many towns.Go to the store manager and then to the better business bureau.

TECHSHOP
03-03-2006, 09:52 PM
I don't know a good solution about the bad motor. But small parts are often hidden in the packaging. Having set up many machines as "retail" displays, I can relate to the fact that things are often missing from the box. Some manufactures are much more willing to correct the omission of the assembly line. Buying display machine from the "big box" is especially problematic, because "they" don't keep the packaging (UPC for warrenty work, gone), and customers like to walk out with the little bits that fit in the pocket.

------------------
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Rich Carlstedt
03-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Charlie, Thats not a bad price for Socket Head Cap Screws....heck Ace charges 2 bucks apiece for a 3/8 by 2 incher !!

Rich Carlstedt
03-03-2006, 10:15 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt:
Charlie, Thats not a bad price for Socket Head Cap Screws....heck Ace charges 2 bucks apiece for a 3/8 by 2 incher !!</font>
Anything over 3 1/2 inches for a 1/2 inch SHCS is considered to be " Long" which is $$$

Evan
03-06-2006, 10:10 AM
bump

wirewrkr
03-06-2006, 08:19 PM
Sailor, where do you live? might be cool if a bunch of ANGRY machinist/woodworker types turned up in front of the store with signs and a good story for the media or whoever would be listening.
I would LOVE to be there and voice an opinion. I'm in retail and really get pissed when consumers get ripped off.
Robert

------------------

Rooter
03-07-2006, 02:12 AM
I would send an E-mail to Lowe's corperate office detailing the problem and insert a hyperlink to this message board. Sometimes it's the local store/manager that is the roadblock.
And even if it isn't, corperations don't like bad press. They figure one vocal dis-satisfied customer = approx. ten non-vocal dis-satisfied customers and with this message board to back it up, who knows.