PDA

View Full Version : link type vee belts

big-dipper
08-17-2001, 02:23 AM
Steel belt lacing still widely available. here's one......

http://www.tamparubber.com/beltalli.htm

klemchuk
03-03-2006, 12:25 PM
Does anyone know if link type belts will work ok on a flat pulley. I'm having to change belts on my punch press and really don't want to take things apart.

Mike Burdick
03-03-2006, 01:20 PM
klemchuk,

I don't think a link belt would work on a flat pulley as each link is put together with a rivet. I would think that the rivet's head would either "chew" the pulley apart or the pulley would ruin the belt.

Photo 1 - Inside of link belt.
Photo 2 - Outside of link belt.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/MikeBurdick/Link_belt.jpg

[This message has been edited by Mike Burdick (edited 03-03-2006).]

big-dipper
03-03-2006, 03:32 PM
They make link belts without rivits...FENNER, I think is one. Still not suitable for a flat pulley, IMHO.

Norman Warfield
03-03-2006, 03:39 PM
I'm using a "Power Twist" segmented belt on the intermediate shaft of my 10" lathe.

It has a Vee drive from the motor and a flat two stage wheel on the intermeadiate shaft.

It performs so well that I haven't bothered to make a vee pulley for it.

------------------
Norm'
If it's not broken, why do I keep trying to fix it....

garyphansen
03-03-2006, 04:14 PM
How big of a flat belt? Why not cut some belting to the right lenght, bevel the ends and glue the ends inplace in the machine? Evan had a post about doing this with a belt Auto parts store not too long ago. Gary P. Hansen

Jim Wilson
03-03-2006, 06:18 PM
I am using a link belt on my 9 inch South Bend.
I got it from Woodcraft. It is designed for table saws and such but has been working fine on the headstock my lathe.

Jim

wierdscience
03-03-2006, 10:10 PM
How about ordering a high traction flatbelt,like a S-7 type made up with a clipper lacing from a belt house?

jcc3inc
03-04-2006, 09:24 AM
Sir,

I don't know if belt splices are still available, but when I was a young man working on my father's threshing machine, we used a splice setup which consisted of a series of wire elements something like hog rings, of alternating length parallel to each other and kept together by a cardboard strip; we cut off the ends of the belt square, and placed the open jaws of the splicing means over the belt, hammered it tight, and did the same for the matching belt end. A rawhide "pin" was inserted to couple the two ends together, and away we went. The belts varied from the big drive belt from the tractor to the thresher to the smaller belts which ran augers etc.

There were two types of the above, one was a continuous metal strip which used a wire pin, and the other was the individual wire group.

Regards,
Jack C.

Evan
03-06-2006, 11:05 AM
bump

gmatov
03-07-2006, 02:29 AM
Not in the business, not in ANY business, but do have a lacing machine, boxes of various size alligator lacing.

At your own expense both ways, I would clamp them on, say a buck or 2 for material. You measure and cut the belt. I used to have a source for leather belting, the place closed. All the leather belting I have left is kind of old, could not guarantee it's durability. Will probably dryrot in the garage before I ever get to use it up. I only have 1 1/2 inch width, 5/16 or so thick.

Cotton, I only have 1 1/4 inch, for my SB lathe, more than I need.

Not an offer as a business, just an offer of help.

Cheers,

George

gmatov
03-07-2006, 02:31 AM
Where is the Edit button?

I mean that I have Clipper lacing, the individual hooks , not the solid steel Alligator.

Cheers,

George

uute
03-08-2006, 01:52 AM
The edit button is right up here............^^^.

Its the one w/ the pencil. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

[This message has been edited by uute (edited 03-08-2006).]

gmatov
03-08-2006, 03:11 AM
uute,

Thank you,

I looked at those, most sites, you hover over, a descriptor comes up. Here, it doesn't.

I am glad to know that, as I type poorly, proof for a while, still post bad stuff, silly misspells.

Will use it in future. I am sure I will post more dumb spellings, as I have in the past, now will be able to catch them, hopefully before you guys see them.

JUst ignore the "Last edited by...". That means nothing.

Cheers,

George

Somehow I think I have just clicked more smileys than I wanted to. I am not really laughing that hard. Just a little belly laugh. 6 of 'em.? Way overboard. Like ROTFLMAO over what deserves a LOL
Edit,

Hell, I can't even use the Smileys, here. thought I doubled up, 3 twice, aren't any.

Here's the best I can do :-)

[This message has been edited by gmatov (edited 03-08-2006).]