PDA

View Full Version : machinist in the army

jarr88
03-08-2006, 09:14 PM
does the army have jobs for machinists

Weston Bye
03-08-2006, 09:38 PM
Yes, but it would be very limited. Better try the Navy. By their nature they are dealing daily with the mechanics of keeping the machinery of the warships running. My military experience was Navy and I spent my time on carriers keeping radar systems in aircraft operating, but saw aspects of machining.
That was 35 years ago and I'm sure a lot has changed. Probably more replacement than repair. I suspect that it is the same in the Army, but maybe somebody else on this board can fill us in on that.

Wes

tattoomike68
03-08-2006, 09:50 PM
yes, the us army corp of engineers, in the USA and in Iraq.

psomero
03-08-2006, 10:02 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wes1:
Yes, but it would be very limited. Better try the Navy. By their nature they are dealing daily with the mechanics of keeping the machinery of the warships running. My military experience was Navy and I spent my time on carriers keeping radar systems in aircraft operating, but saw aspects of machining.
That was 35 years ago and I'm sure a lot has changed. Probably more replacement than repair. I suspect that it is the same in the Army, but maybe somebody else on this board can fill us in on that.

Wes</font>

from what i've heard, they tend to cram one of everything on the ship when they go out and worry less about waiting on someone to whip something up when they need a quick fix.

mochinist
03-08-2006, 10:07 PM
What a troll, keep feeding him guys.

jarr88
03-08-2006, 10:22 PM
posmer that makes more sense than to make a new part

tattoomike68
03-08-2006, 10:23 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mochinist:
What a troll, keep feeding him guys.</font>
I think he is a kid, not a troll.

mochinist
03-08-2006, 10:29 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tattoomike68:
I think he is a kid, not a troll.

</font>

Trolls usually pose as kids in forums that are dominated by older generations, mainly because older guys are suckers for a kid that is interested in the same hobby as they are.

[This message has been edited by mochinist (edited 03-08-2006).]

jarr88
03-08-2006, 10:33 PM
mochinist you just need to take a long walk and calm dowm wow it funny how you old people REACT

mochinist
03-08-2006, 10:37 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jarr88:
I am a troll</font>

psomero
03-08-2006, 10:40 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mochinist:
Trolls usually pose as kids in forums that are dominated by older generations, mainly because older guys are suckers for a kid that is interested in the same hobby as they are.

[This message has been edited by mochinist (edited 03-08-2006).]</font>

uhh, i guess i'm a uninformed troll because my brother has been an electrician on navy subs and ships since right around the time i was born, which was a little under twenty years ago. he was on a carrier most recently and they do stock practically a whole new boat when they go out to sea. i guess they figure the time waiting for parts to get made when they need them is eliminated when they have one of everything on hand.

edit: doh!

[This message has been edited by psomero (edited 03-08-2006).]

tattoomike68
03-08-2006, 10:48 PM
trolls can fight it out here. I know what a troll is.

http://www.trollwars.com/forums/index.php

jarr88
03-08-2006, 10:52 PM
tattoo mikey mouse cant handle the heat
dont worry i will get you some water(hot that is ) hah ha ha

[This message has been edited by jarr88 (edited 03-08-2006).]

tattoomike68
03-08-2006, 10:55 PM
tattoo mikey mouse cant handle the heat
dont worry i will get you some water(hot that is ) hah ha ha

[This message has been edited by jarr88 (edited 03-08-2006).]</font>

now the kid is a troll, yawn, not a good troll, just a drunk kid.

jarr88
03-08-2006, 10:58 PM
yah i drunk kid you might think ,but you think you can make all these tough comments ,but they just get shot down ...
closing comment try agian

jarr88
03-08-2006, 11:10 PM
come on, thats all you got some grade 3 talk from 10 years ago (really good one )

first is first (tatto mickey mouse )aka a little 2 year old boy try hit me and you would be in a ------ -----before you can open that tiny month just a friendly thought ha ha ha

[This message has been edited by jarr88 (edited 03-08-2006).]

BillH
03-08-2006, 11:32 PM
Trolls starve to death if you dont feed them! Just ignore all future posts from this guy.

tattoomike68
03-08-2006, 11:33 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BillH:
Trolls starve to death if you dont feed them! Just ignore all future posts from this guy.</font>

it was fun giving him a spanking.

jarr88
03-08-2006, 11:34 PM
i think you should be posting on this form
atlanta.gay.mens.chorus

tattoomike68
03-08-2006, 11:36 PM
i think you should be posting on this form
atlanta.gay.mens.chorus</font>

I am sure you have many links to gay men pictures and chat rooms. I bet you are the bottle guy.

Wingnut
03-08-2006, 11:41 PM
Jarr88,
U&p to this point i've had no difficulties with your queries and thoughts. If you are a youngster and have replied in this fashion to the unwarrented abuse ...Shame On You. If by chance you are the "troll" you are accused of being....Shame On You... You both are showing a phenominal disregard for this board and its' readers. This is the first time I have --EVER-- had to hide the screen from my daughters or my bride! Have Some Respect Sirs!
Good Night. Will A.

tattoomike68
03-08-2006, 11:44 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wingnut:
Jarr88,
U&p to this point i've had no difficulties with your queries and thoughts. If you are a youngster and have replied in this fashion to the unwarrented abuse ...Shame On You. If by chance you are the "troll" you are accused of being....Shame On You... You both are showing a phenominal disregard for this board and its' readers. This is the first time I have --EVER-- had to hide the screen from my daughters or my bride! Have Some Respect Sirs!
Good Night. Will A.</font>

Sorry I just want to slap the troll.

BillH
03-08-2006, 11:59 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tattoomike68:
Sorry I just want to slap the troll.

</font>

Your not slapping it, your making it happy, it wants a fight, what it does not want is to be ignored. Even this post is making it happy, will be my last in this thread.

torker
03-09-2006, 01:13 AM
I think "someone" needs to join the band.
Neil...umm if this thread was to go away????

Rigger
03-09-2006, 04:35 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by torker:
I think "someone" needs to join the band.
Neil...umm if this thread was to go away????</font>

What about starting a MIA thread for all the past posters who's wisdom has taught us a lot.

Then compare to the likes of Mochinist and Millman to see how low this forum has fallen.

Some recent posts have been edited by Neil, this never happened at one time. The odd one would get closed down when it went wildly off topic but seperate editings were unheard off.

Thank God for email.

Rigger.

coles-webb
03-09-2006, 05:58 AM
I can give you an answer as far as the Canadian Military is concerned but not the US. The Air Force, Navy and Army all have thier own versions of the Machinist Trade but it is combined with other trades as well. There is not true machinist trade anymore as we all multi-task now. In the Air Force they have a combination of Machinist, Sheet-metal worker, Welder, painter, fiberglasser and sewing. They have simular in the Navy and Army. In my opinion though, if you want to be a machinist in the Canadian Military you want to join the Air Force as we do the most machining, the most accuate work and have the best equipment. The Air Force has a development facility (small by most standards) in Trenton, Ontario that has CNC equipment and other equipment as well in a nicly equiped shop. All other Air bases have convetional shops where people rotate through. Since people rotate through we do not have the skill level we once had, but that is the norm everywhere I think. If you have any more questions e-mail me. I'm sorry to add this serious note to this topic but this is something I actually know the answer to as I have been a Machinist in the Canadian military since 1988.

Mike

Your Old Dog
03-09-2006, 06:08 AM
Neil go away for his first anniversary?

IOWOLF
03-09-2006, 06:51 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BillH:
Trolls starve to death if you dont feed them! Just ignore all future posts from this guy.</font>

Thats about what I have said before about this type.Everyone Push the Ignore button.

------------------
The tame Wolf !

torker
03-09-2006, 08:39 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rigger:

Then compare to the likes of Mochinist and Millman

Rigger.

</font>
I see your point but I really don't put Mo in the same category as Millman. Mo has offered a lot of good advice here, he just doesn't seem to like jerks much.
I do remember some other dorks hanging around here before but nobody said much to them. Everyone seemed to put up with the likes of the green willy guy and wouldn't say anything to him.
I'm starting to think that JR and Mo see some of these trolls better than the rest of us.
Unfortunately this is all part of the "net" nowadays.

Evan
03-09-2006, 11:26 AM
One question. How many people know where Vegreville, Alberta is?

I have a question for you jarr88. I used to live not to far from there. What is in Vegreville that is particularly unusual and is seen by all near 49 ave?

mrennie
03-09-2006, 12:51 PM
A statue dedicated to the creation of vertical milling machines out of Chinese drill presses?

The plaque reads "And to all those that may wish to reinvent the wheel, thereby creating an offshoot industry dedicated to the supply of broken endmills and first aid supplies, this monument hereby congratulates you on your resourcefulness and dedication to continue with a bad idea."

The mint was going to make a coin about it, but when they tried to build a minting machine out of a garlic press they gave up and outsourced the whole operation.

jarr88
03-09-2006, 12:58 PM
welll evan there isnt much just a big egg

where did you live by vegreville

meho
03-09-2006, 01:16 PM
does the army have jobs for machinists

Yes. At the USAMU.

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/amu/ Look under the Custom Firearms Shop.

James

Mcgyver
03-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Evan, too easy, that Pysanka is world famous

Evan
03-09-2006, 02:07 PM
I used to live in Edmonton. Did some hunting near Elk Island park. My wife and I almost took a job managing a resort near Vegreville one year.

Jarr88,

What's the name of the principal and assistant principal at your school?

Rusty Wrench
03-09-2006, 03:14 PM
I worked in battalion maintenance before I became a combat engineer. There was one machinist and two assistants. They had a mobile machine shop most of up would drool over. When all was said and done, we were all soldiers. I retired after 24 years. ESSAYONS

topct
03-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Sorry, it appears that that user (jarr88) is no longer registered for our forums. No profile information is available for that user.

Evan
03-09-2006, 03:44 PM
Hmm. I wasn't bluffing either, I know their names.

mochinist
03-09-2006, 04:04 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by torker:
I see your point but I really don't put Mo in the same category as Millman. Mo has offered a lot of good advice here, he just doesn't seem to like jerks much.
</font>Thanks Torker

jarr888
03-09-2006, 10:25 PM
evan i was looking at your cnc mill head and it looks great can you email me a picture of the mill table
thanks
which princibles do you know in vegreville????

Willy
03-09-2006, 10:36 PM
It's....baack!

tattoomike68
03-09-2006, 10:40 PM
the amature troll is back.

tattoomike68
03-09-2006, 10:41 PM

tattoomike68
03-09-2006, 10:41 PM

tattoomike68
03-09-2006, 11:30 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jarr888:
mikey mouse watch what comes out of your mouse

ps. i know how to h--k computers

[This message has been edited by jarr888 (edited 03-09-2006).]</font>

yawn , red light comes out of my mouse.

you poor child .........

[This message has been edited by tattoomike68 (edited 03-09-2006).]

jarr888
03-09-2006, 11:33 PM
computers are really expensive to fix when they have a viruse on them that wipes out everything

tattoomike68
03-09-2006, 11:35 PM
oh brother! yawn.

tattoomike68
03-09-2006, 11:42 PM
join the circus with the rest of your family you punk ass TRoll

got to love what comes out of your baby mouth</font>

sorry kiddo, Im a Veteran Troll but do not troll this site like a foolish kid.

get back on topic.

tattoomike68
03-09-2006, 11:44 PM
also get a not so homo ass user name tattoo mickey mouse -since when did mickey mouse had tattos
aka f*** retart</font>

how cute!

tattoomike68
03-09-2006, 11:46 PM
what your a Veteran troll with no ball sack we know
****en guy</font>

yawn , try harder .

tattoomike68
03-09-2006, 11:48 PM
by cute you mean by you am a vetran baby troll ,with no girlfriend you probobly have;t seen a real tit in your life quite sad mikey mouse</font>

yawn. weak and lame.

tattoomike68
03-09-2006, 11:52 PM
try harder you have lost every arguement on this form ,also you must like that work hard but it must go like this give it to me harder in the ass lol lol</font>

To claim a fake win is the sign of a weak and immature troll, good job kiddo.

[This message has been edited by tattoomike68 (edited 03-09-2006).]

tattoomike68
03-09-2006, 11:59 PM
by fake win you mean i am the king and you are the ant and i ****en step on you
well in that case very well yes

come on you must have better come backs than those last ones -just rememeber when you got beat up at school what those kids said to you ....
you cant remember because you where to busy crying for your mommy boo hoo</font>

you silly child, I have been a member here for 4 years and am not going to get in trouble with neil again.

you can come over here and get spanked kiddo. you dont have the guts.

http://www.trollwars.com/forums/index.php

Evan
03-10-2006, 01:53 AM
Jar,

If you were really looking for assistance from the members here you have ensured that won't happen. If you know anything about computers then you should also know that your IP address can be tracked.

Every time you view a thread where I have posted a picture you leave a record of that including your IP address and much more on my server. The moderator of this forum also has your IP and with ARIN it is easy to find out who your ISP is.

As for hacking computers, please don't make me laugh. It makes my jaw hurt.

I don't know the principal at the Vegreville Composite High School but I know who he is.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 03-10-2006).]

Radmachine
03-10-2006, 08:31 AM
I was a machinist in the Navy 1966-1970. My rating was Machinery Repairman. I worked on a repair ship that did all sorts of work on the ships that couldn't carry a lot of spares. We also had an onboard foundry, pattern shop, optics shop, carpenter shop, office machine repair, torpedo shop, etc. I learned a helluva lot about repair work. Things may have changed since I got out, but if anyone wanted to be a machinist in the service, I'd tell them to check out the Navy first.

newhobby
03-10-2006, 10:36 PM
May be a bit off topic but I had a friend who was on a heavy cruiser in the late 1960's who was doing firing practice in the Pacific on an island dotted with targets. He was told to hit building"x" and proceeded to use the firing control to zero in on the target. (they were anchored 2-3 miles off island). They fired the first round and hit about 75-100 yards low and several yards right. the old gunner on the deck with the headphones (who served in WWII with the fire control officer) call down, "Move her up a degree and a smidgen to the left." Before anyone could say a word the 8 incher roared again and the prop house on the island three miles away disappeared into a splash of smoke and sand. The ofc running the firing exercise had a fit! He said,"I told you to fire at the house, not destroy it." Now we gotta go rebuild it!! The old gunner said,"My orders were to hit it, so I hit it." Moral of the story:"Don't mess with men with gray hair who have been there and done it, even if they don't have the t-shirt!"

jreinke
03-25-2006, 09:06 AM
Jar88,

I just retired from the Army and spent 22 of my 30 years in Army machine shops. The Army is trying is to figure out whether it really needs machinists or not, with the current trend leaning towards not. So, like WES1 said "GO NAVY!" That have the best machinist's school, over a year long, I believe. The Army, Air Force and Marines all get taught at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland, and for the most part, get the same training. The Army's is 16 weeks long, the Marines is a little longer, and the Air Force now adds CNC. If you want to serve your country AND be a michinist, the Navy is the way to go.

torker
03-25-2006, 10:13 AM
Jar88,

I just retired from the Army and spent 22 of my 30 years in Army machine shops. The Army is trying is to figure out whether it really needs machinists or not, with the current trend leaning towards not. So, like WES1 said "GO NAVY!" That have the best machinist's school, over a year long, I believe. The Army, Air Force and Marines all get taught at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland, and for the most part, get the same training. The Army's is 16 weeks long, the Marines is a little longer, and the Air Force now adds CNC. If you want to serve your country AND be a michinist, the Navy is the way to go.
That's all fine as long as the US navy is taking Canadians! The kid is from Alberta in case you didn't know.
Now things change...
I want to see how they run a lathe in the Canadian Navy. I know canoes are tippy at best but with a 4000 pound lathe in your canoe you are really going to have to plan your day carefully :D