PDA

View Full Version : Trying to do business-semi-OT

wierdscience
03-09-2006, 10:44 PM
I am perplexed,at work we have open net-30 accounts with over 35 different vendors,many we have been doing business with for years.We have never,ever at anytime missed paying a single bill no matter how large or small.Several companies have our credit line set at $100k+.We're not a huge outfit,but we pay our bills on time.

KBC,McMaster,MSC,API and about twenty others make things easy,just call,order,give them a PO# and a couple days later the stuff shows up and the bill gets paid end of the month like clockwork.I have ordered in $10-15k in a single week before and never had any trouble with any of those companies especially McMaster-Carr who IMHO has the pinacle of service to which all others should be measured.

On the other hand,some companies like to make things tough.They insist on having orders and "requests"(I hate that term)faxed in and most times they take the're dear sweet time filling those orders or never call in a confirmation that the order has even been shipped or not.

The most recent and suprising one is Grizzly.We just went open account with them and so far it's been a three ring circus.

Placed an $1100 order for the opener back on 2/23/06,they said we had to fax them an order along with our PO#,no sweat,did that,2 days it took for them to get around to phone confirmation,they said it would ship out within one business day and we should have it in 3-5 working days.Well it's now 3/9/06 and no joy.Called to check the status and they say two of the items we ordered were back ordered(we always cancel backorders and they were told to do so,but didn't)since the items were back ordered they couldn't ship the order until we faxed them the okay.

What a bunch of B----S---! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//mad.gif Meanwhile our customer(municipality)is waiting for the stuff they ordered which reflects badly on me,pisses me off.

Tommorrow will result in a lets say less than polite phone call to Griz,call it a flame lighting ceremony http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Shame is,last couple times I dealt with them the service was excellent,guess they don't like people who buy lots of stuff and pay the're bills like it's a religion.

Guess I'll have to call and applogize for trying to do business with them.

Oh,BTW,the term "request" pisses me off because it implies that they will consider my "request" and only then agree to SELL me something should my "request" meet the're criteria,arrogant som-bitches http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//mad.gif

torker
03-09-2006, 11:13 PM
Darin, That sounds just like KBC (Vancouver division) up here.
There is a slight twist though. I think it would help a bunch if they had SOMEONE taking orders who could speak English.
Last two orders...I waited over a week for them to come in the mail.
Phone up KBC to see when they sent the order(s). They had absolutely no record of my orders. Nada!
Told me I should fax the orders in. But I'm seldom around a fax machine and I like to actually talk to them to see if they have a backorder problem so I can get a substitute sent out right away.
The big problem with this is, KBC is really the only decent place we have to deal with. There are others back east (takes too long) and a few around Alberta who are pretty pricey.
I'm getting to know the KBC manager pretty well now...it helps if I phone her. She gets things straightened out but seems powerless to get rid of her useless help. Makes me think it's a "family" run business and they hired an English speaking manager.
I have to ask if these outfits realize why they are in business?
Russ

CCWKen
03-10-2006, 12:15 AM
I've placed a couple of online orders with the Griz. From what I recall, they came quickly. Get a company credit card or two. It works like a net-25/30 depending on terms.

I placed an online order with Office Depot for only $2100 and they were the only ones that ever called to verify. PO's always seem to slow things down because of the accounting. A credit card; bing, bang, done. There's usually a place to enter a reference number (PO/PR) for your own use. Makes my bookkeeping easier too.

Wirecutter
03-10-2006, 11:25 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wierdscience:
especially McMaster-Carr who IMHO has the pinacle of service to which all others should be measured.
</font>

I agree completely. I'm just a regular guy that does credit card orders. I kinda stumbled into using McMaster, and they've demonstrated the two service items I like most:

1. Great service
2. Consistent results

J Tiers
03-10-2006, 01:14 PM
After some consideration, I think Ken is correct... The PO thing just makes for more paper and trouble.

Not only that, but there are lots of scams operating that do the PO route to look more legit. At least CC is direct, fast, and dealing to a great degree with a known quantity, the CC co.

Isn't that what the CCs were made to do in the first place? To allow more folks a trustable way of paying without carrying cash for everything.

Using the PO, if you are an unknown, you are a potential scam.

Most new companies we do business with at work do a check before accepting POs. They want the D&B, etc, etc. We have a standard form of information to give them.

If you are too snall to be easily investigatable in that way, then your PO likely goes into the pile with the Nigerian money scams for a look someday.

Mad Scientist
03-10-2006, 01:26 PM
Sounds like KBC (Vancouver division) might have a personal problem. I have not had any problems with their Chicago branch, if something was out of stock they would order from Michigan and I would get it in a couple days.
My only complaint with them is they decided to move to a new building that is about 4 miles farther away from me and they didn’t first ask my permission. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif
McMaster-Carr tends to be a bit pricey BUT if they don’t carry something it probably not made. Only “once” did they not have an item "in stock" that I wanted and that was because it was a discontinued part.

Fasttrack
03-10-2006, 04:37 PM
"especially McMaster-Carr who IMHO has the pinacle of service to which all others should be measured."

Absolutely - my dad first suggested it to me; at his work (a nuke plant) almost all of thier tooling and alot of other odds and ends come from them. Always get it a day or two later and all the machinists there swear by them.

coles-webb
03-10-2006, 08:23 PM
KBC, Vancouver store. A couple of years ago (About three) we had end of year money that we had to spend or loose. I had $2000 and wanted to buy a sand blast tank with vacuum. I phoned KBC and asked the how much for a particular item with shipping. They told me the cost with tax and then told me I had to get the item shipped myself. I phoned anouther place and they gave me a price of $2000 with tax and shipping and the manager would basicly put it in the back of his truck and drive it right to our shop. Guess who got the money?

Mike

wierdscience
03-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Russ,Yep with KBC I always use the same two sales people,don't even bother with the rest.They never really gave us any bad service,just sometimes they would bust up an order and ship things in one piece at a time from every branch they have racking up shipping charges all the way.Lately they have had the're act together,now if I can just convince them to carry Kennametal http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Ken and J,I only used the PO# because they insisted on it,most of our vendors know us all by first name and never ask for a PO#,I just call ,check price and stock and order,that system is faster even than a CC.We do have a company card,it's even on file with several vendors we don't have open accounts with.

It's not like they didn't give us a credit check from hell because they did.Took six refrences,tax ID,corprate ID,Federal Id and two bank refrences for them to approve it and even then they only gave us a $1500 limit.McMaster by comparasion only needed our Federal corprate Id# and they gave us a line of credit over the phone in 10 minutes flat,although I admit I did talk to "God" there that day.

I called back today,never even got an answer at the accounts payable number,must have been outside scraping cosmoline off a bandsaw or something.

When I placed the order I specificly in writing told them to cancel all back orders,they didn't have anything out of stock back then,when they failed to ship and I called in yesterday two of the items are now back ordered and that was the reason they gave for dropping the ball.I didn't get a chance to look at the company mail today,if I find a payable invoice in there from them for that order that will be the last straw,I won't settle for any peon lower than the presz himself at that point.

As for McMaster,nothing but praise for them,they only trouble I had with them rcently(in the last five years)was getting the shipping charges on a couple truck shipments,but that was partially me.

I agree they do have nearly everything in the catalog,but if they don't have what you want,just call and ask and they will find it,usually in a day or less.
As far as speed,I have called in an order as late as 6:00pm here and still got the order next day at the ground rate,simply impressive.

TECHSHOP
03-10-2006, 10:49 PM
The only things that I will say in Grizzly's "defense";

1. They seem to be changing over to PRC suppliers and may be "selling the next shipment".

2. Juding by other sites, they get hit hard at Christmas time and may be "selling the next shipment".

I have mostly dealt with them by going to their store in upstate PA, anything that was shipped to me was small and usually arrived in two days. There are many complaints online lately of hidden shipping damage, maybe not really Grizzly fault, but Grizzly does try to correct as quickly as possible.

Also a few of the others mentioned have warehouses "locally" that I can drive to, and "pickup". I must have picked a charmed place, no?

------------------
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."