PDA

View Full Version : strong linear slides

jarr88
03-08-2006, 06:58 PM
i need some strong linear slides /bearings foe a cnc mill head axis but it need to be stronng to support the side loads DO YOU HAVE ANY GOOD IDEAS

mochinist
03-08-2006, 07:21 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jarr88:
DO YOU HAVE ANY GOOD IDEAS</font>Look into spellcheck and grammar 101.

psomero
03-08-2006, 08:13 PM
yeah, i know some good ones.

i think they're called "don't waste your time"

yeah, that's it...

honestly, if you want a milling machine, buy a damn milling machine. all the work it'll take to hack on a drill press will probably far exceed the cost of getting a used mill and it will never result in something as nice as an actual milling machine.

psomero
03-08-2006, 08:16 PM
and one more thing:

if you're not resourceful enough to find your own basic parts or even knowledgable enough to know what the appropriate parts are (hint: there are none), you're never going to finish the damn thing anyways...

snowman
03-08-2006, 08:17 PM
amen

you want good linear bearings, buy THK.

6 THK bearings will cost you around 300 dollars on Ebay. Add a drill press, you now have 350, add metal, you now have 500. Add another two hundred bucks, and you have a mill that will outperform your homemade system.

Forrest Addy
03-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Master and Setco used to be the primier brands for modular machine tool slides. If you want sturdy strong slides you can make them from steel fabrications using captivated bronze strip inlays for the actual bearings at a fairly low cost.

Next up is to machine them from cast iron sawed rectangles from American Iron and Alloys in Waukesa WI.

If you have a little woodworking talent make up some patterns and have your slides cast. Saves a lot of machining time and your castings can be highy optimized for your application. Don't forget to incorporate tapered gibs. When fitted properly they have about triple the rigidity of an equivalent setscrew gib.

mbensema
03-09-2006, 08:27 AM
Strong is a relative term, you need to determine what the forces on the linear slides will be, then you can decide on what size you want for the acceptable deflection. Check the major manufacturer websites for design info, they have tons of it available. If country of orgin is important to you, INA linear rail is made in SC.

ahidley
03-09-2006, 10:26 AM
I can relate to your desire to make a drill press into a mill. I did it in high school. I bought one of thoes xy tables for about $40 from HF... It did what I needed then. Was a bitch on steel. I later got a mill and now I look at it like, "why didnt I do this along time ago?"

Aside from everytihng wobbling, flexing, chattering, and breaking end mills cause of it. The bigest problem was the drill chuck just isnt up to holding an end mill solid enough or center it well enough, not to mention the spindle play. So I was then limited to 1/2 inch shanked bits that were single ended. All the double ended ones I had to cut in half to fit in the chuck.
Just food for thought.......

Rustybolt
03-09-2006, 01:06 PM
"You do what you can with what you have."

As I recall in some issue of HSM Rudy K made one. Complete with custom made cutter holders.

Check back in back issues of HSM and see what he did. You might want to start with alum. for the tabe and slides.

Keep us posted on what you come up with.

jarr88
03-09-2006, 01:15 PM
i am not using a drill press no more i am using a r8 spindle box assembly for the cnc mill(little machine shop)

Paul F
03-09-2006, 03:59 PM
Quit being @ssholes...
Either answer the young gentlemans question, or ignore it!

Spending your time busting his chops doesn't reflect well on your character, or on this hobby.

Paul F.

torker
03-10-2006, 12:12 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Paul F:
Quit being @ssholes...
the young gentlemans

Paul F.</font>
Paul....here's your "young gentleman"
Nice huh?
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Forum1/HTML/015985-2.html

[This message has been edited by torker (edited 03-10-2006).]

Paul F
03-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Yup.. try reading the posts TO him FIRST...

I say again; bunch of @ssholes...

Paul F.

torker
03-11-2006, 02:23 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Paul F:
Yup.. try reading the posts TO him FIRST...

I say again; bunch of @ssholes...

Paul F.</font>

So what is an A$$hole? Don't sugar coat it..you do mean asshole right?

[This message has been edited by torker (edited 03-11-2006).]

darryl
03-11-2006, 03:24 AM
Arthur Sydney Sylvester Hole.

Millman
03-11-2006, 03:30 AM
Watch your mouth, Paul; the ants are on the march!

------------------
BFH

psomero
03-11-2006, 05:07 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jarr88:
i am not using a drill press no more i am using a r8 spindle box assembly for the cnc mill(little machine shop)</font>

so, what exactly are you going to do with it once you get it?

Millman
03-11-2006, 05:13 AM
I think he already explained that; Build a Sherman Tank Solar Collector? With battery backup?

------------------
BFH

IOWOLF
03-11-2006, 07:57 PM
I wish he would go play with it and get off the board.
Just the humble opinion of another asshole.