PDA

View Full Version : BP Quill lock jammed, help?

rsr911
03-12-2006, 11:43 AM
I've got a J-head Bridgeport and the quill lock cam has jammed making it nearly impossible to move the spindle ram. How do I go about taking it apart to fix it, it's not immediately obvious to me?

Rustybolt
03-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Tap the big round part with a soft hammer first. You can unscrew the little handle and then unscrew the rest.

rsr911
03-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Thanks,

Pretty slick little design they have there, nice and simple. I assume you can put shims behind the large round part to adjust the quill? Mine locks when the small handle is as far as it can go, I noticed there was a washer behind the large round part.

------------------
-Christian D. Sokolowski

AZSORT
03-12-2006, 03:16 PM
While we're on the topic of BP spindles - mine all of a sudden became real loose. Used to be kind of tight when all the way up but felt good the rest of the way. Now it falls right down unless the lock is on! Is there a spring or something that compensates for gravity and has broken? Maybe its the cold weather we've got right now but its always been very consistent before. Thanks in advance for any advice before I make a mess taking it apart.

Greg C.

banjoallen
03-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Behind the quill handle there is a "clock" spring.It may have broken or became unhooked.The round plate behind the handle with the holes in it is what you use to adjust the tension on the spring.The spring has a hole in the center of the winding that hooks to the shaft that works the quill.Does this help any?

Allen

Rustybolt
03-12-2006, 06:00 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rsr911:
Thanks,

Pretty slick little design they have there, nice and simple. I assume you can put shims behind the large round part to adjust the quill? Mine locks when the small handle is as far as it can go, I noticed there was a washer behind the large round part.

That's all I've ever done and it works.

</font>