PDA

View Full Version : Used machines

Al Messer
12-06-2002, 02:02 PM
There is a used Atlas 10 x 24 QC lathe and bench for sale at: http://www.lostcreekmachine.com

Plus lots of other goodies.

jfsmith
12-06-2002, 05:03 PM
Al,
Thanks for pointing this place out, as that I do forge work and machine work, they have a few things I want.

Many thanks,

Jerry

Spin Doctor
12-06-2002, 05:56 PM
I really like the shaper, But my better half would kill me.

Al Messer
12-06-2002, 08:17 PM
Same here!! Haven't been able to convince her that WE need the shaper more than we need a new couch and deep freezer!!

Thrud
12-07-2002, 01:06 AM
I did not really care that much for it until I seen the Maple top. Maple rules. Plus it is green. And it has a Maple top. Have I mentioned the Maple top? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Al Messer
12-07-2002, 07:58 AM
Maple wood, Maple leaves (or is it "leafs"?). Hang in there, Thrud! I gotta admire a guy that's consistent!!

Robert Jones
12-07-2002, 10:14 AM
Thrud, I'm with you. I like maple, (especially bird's eye) use a lot of it in my pool cues, Bobby

chip's
12-07-2002, 10:23 PM
Maple rules for benches, tops and all.

Thrud
12-07-2002, 11:40 PM
Robert

I am partial to Tiger stripe maple, birds eye, spalted, or plain - just as long as it is not Oak. Oak blows. Walnut sucks too, have it on my electrostatic speakers. I had Genuine Brazilian Rosewood Burl veneer on my last speakers, but the power company dropped a pipe across my mains and said "Oopsy! Did we blow up your **** too? Tough - sue us." So I did. I got money, but had to cough up the old speakers (Ohm F's) - I miss those dusky rosewood panels...(sniff, sniff) http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif

Maple, Maple she's my wood,
If Maple won't then Hickory will!

Both, nearly as hard as my head! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Robert Jones
12-08-2002, 10:08 AM
Thrud, I use rosewood, bocote, grenadillo, ebony, all of the maple you mentioned, and just finished one with Ipe (ironwood) with a beautiful burl in it. It's gorgeous. All of those woods cut and finish just great. Can't work with cocobolo as I'm allergic to it, my eyes swell shut and I itch like crazy for two weeks if I get near it. Kinda funny now, but not when it happens, Bobby

lynnl
12-08-2002, 10:46 AM
Depends on the intended use (obviously)...but I think I'll vote for Hickory. More dent resistant, at least more so than most of the Maple here in the south. The prettiest kitchen cabinetry I've ever seen was hickory! Tho that glassy smooth surface you can get with dense maple is nice too. But then I also like walnut and cherry for nice furniture use.

Actually this is like arguing about the 'Miss America' contestants. I wouldn't rule any of them out. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

cebump
12-08-2002, 11:05 AM
Have any of you ever worked with Ipe? It is pronounced eepay. It is really nice when finised with oil, and it seams to be impervious to most of the challanges of wood here in the south.(rot, termites, rain, etc). It is rather hard as well.
Thrud, I have a weakness for the various figured maples as well.

Brian

Tibertus
12-08-2002, 11:45 AM
Thrud

Check out this site for hardwoods http://www.downesandreader.com/ when I was living in Mass (I left before I turned into a Masshole) I was able to visit this lumber yard. It is the best lumber yard I have ever seen and easily the best organized. They have their own setup with various plantations througout the world to ensure they have renewable supplies of woods like Teak. I'm sure it would cost your first born child to ship any large amount of wood but if you just need a small amount they seemed ready to help out. I was recently in a store called Wood Crafts or something like that they are a chain, I'll post it when I remember or can find them on the web. They have the most unique collection of woods for sale that I have ever seen. If they are a chain you might be able to order online. I'm currently hooked on Teak, can't really explain it just really like it. Wears like a pigs nose, and looks good too.
Happy Holidays

Robert Jones
12-08-2002, 04:10 PM
Cebump, the ironwood I mentioned earlier is Ipe. I read where it was used in Atlantic City for the boardwalk and has never really needed repairs. It is extremely hard and dense. The pieces I used in that cue stick had a marvelous burl and just glistened when I finished it. I used Maple, Ebony, and Ipe exclusively in that stick, and it came out nice. Bobby

ttok
12-08-2002, 05:19 PM
Developers just cut down (and hauled away before I could get it!) seven ironwood trees - all small except one about 12" in diameter! Was in a neighbor's 6 acre yard which is being developed into small lots. I had my eye on them, but they were down and gone from the property in one day between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. That stuff is expensive. Could have sold it and bought REAL iron.

skykingg
12-08-2002, 07:07 PM
The other "ironwood" I am familar with is either American or European Hornbeam. Have seen it as handles for woodworking chisels, its a light creamy tan color, darn near as tough as hickory. I have a weeping variety in my yard, 10 ft. tall and 20 ft. across, 28 yrs. old.

cebump
12-09-2002, 12:10 AM
Bobby

A friend of mine has been importing the ipe for decks and the like in our area. It makes for extremley durable and attractive structure. I have read of large ships using it for bearing materials as well. I have used it for a few small projects sucha s a compass mount and such. Linseed oil really brings it out. It machines rather well as a side note.

Brian

Robert Jones
12-09-2002, 09:34 AM
I agree with you that it machines well, but it'll also dull a hss tool rather quickly. After I get everything turned to final dims, I finish sand with 600 then spray 4 or 5 coats of auto clear coat. It comes out nice, Bobby

ShavingMaker
12-09-2002, 10:45 AM
Try www.rockler.com (http://www.rockler.com) for sources of imported wood. It used to be called The Woodworker's Store.

tonydacrow
12-09-2002, 10:55 AM
Made a set of drones and a chanter for a bagpipe with ipe. Like you all said; finishes great with oil. Sounds good too...

cebump
12-09-2002, 08:12 PM
Tony

Can you post an audio file of your pipes? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif My wife would love to hear someone who can actually play. I would like to see a pic ih you had one.

Brian

1erful
12-09-2002, 11:31 PM
I once was told that the definition of a Scottish Gentleman was "One who knows how to play the pipes beautifully......But doesn't" ;-) WALT

Thrud
12-09-2002, 11:53 PM
Bobby
There is a Windsor Plywood store here in Edmonton with a huge 7' log (debarked, of coarse) of genuine Lignum Vitae - a mere $7,000 Canadian. A steal. Could make a **** load of carver's mallets with that log. Wish I had the space for it. Everytime I go in there it keeps telling me to "buuuy mmeeeeeeee!", and it always looks so sad when I leave... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Robert Jones
12-10-2002, 09:40 AM
Thrud, sharpen all your cutting tools and get your forklift! Slab it out and build speaker cabinets,sand smooth and hand rub them til shiney (like stainless steel). You'll be the envy of all who see them. Promise! Bobby

crypto
12-10-2002, 12:27 PM
Here's some thoughts for the newcomers to the craft who might be tempted to buy that pretty maple-sugared Atlas lathe vs. the tired looking $995 Le Blond. An Atlas lathe similar to the one shown was my first lathe, a good little machine but much too light for anything other than modelmaking in my opinion.

My second lathe was and still is an 11" Logan a heavier and much better machine. I imagine a Logan must weigh at least a third more than the Atlas and that extra mass and it's vee ways makes so much difference by enabling one to take heavier cuts without chattering. It saves so much time and frustration.

My third lathe was a 1920's 16" X 60 Lodge & Shipley . A great, old, well worn machine that had been motorised with a variable speed control. It had what must have been the first quick change gear box on Lodge & Shipleys. Maximum speed might have been about 450 rpm on a downhill cut. It had a massive spindle that ran in bronze bushings, after using it for a few years I found that the spindle had 0.008" clearance in its bushings! It was so heavy that the sloppy bearings didn't matter. It had a two speed compound back gear enabling it to just barely turn over and in combination with its variable speed any chatter that might develop could be easily cancelled. Did everything from turning rusty cargo winch brake drums to microscope adapters on that old timer. Even tho its replacement, a modern lathe is a quantum jump in capability and accuracy I occasionally miss that wonderful ability to slow down to a crawl while cutting intricate shapes.

I have written this in the hope that newcomers with limited funds to invest in machine tools will not be discouraged from purchasing an old seemingly worn out machine that can still perform successfully. My old Lodge & Shipley cost $500 and I made a ton of money on that machine.

Frankly, I would much rather have an old machine with sufficient mass that enables one to take a real cut than a new lightweight tool that forces one to take those time consuming mini cuts.

Oscar

crypto
12-10-2002, 12:37 PM
Dave,

I did not know that wood had such arousing effect upon your libido.

I intended to send you a subscription to Playboy for Christmas but I believe I'll send you a bag of sawdust. Is there any particular mix of woods that you prefer?

Best wishes dear friend.

Oscar

Thrud
12-11-2002, 02:32 AM
Oscar
The reason I like Maple, and in particular Rock Maple, is it is hard as hell, almost like steel, but still a beautiful blonde. But if the truth be known I would rather have a raven haired maid - nothing like long, silky, beautiful hair down her her naked body...oops. Did I change the subject again?

You are so right, my brother - nothing wrong with old iron - providing you have the room. They have the added advantage that few want them because of their size - so they do go cheap.

It is interesting that every hand operated planer I have tried to buy at an auction always goes for ten times their original (new) price. Ironic.

JCHannum
12-11-2002, 07:27 AM
It is interesting to note the Atlas is at the same price as the much newer Jet lathes. Does this tell you something about comparable value of import versus older US made?
Crypto is right about the LeBlond. That old girl may not be as tired as she looks.

Al Messer
12-11-2002, 10:36 AM
Sort of makes you wonder why some smart U.S. manufacturer doesn't re-introduce the Atlas line of small machinery for hobby use, both lathes and shapers.

JCHannum
12-11-2002, 10:53 AM
A lot of people probably wish someone would. We probably would not be able to afford them unless they were a cheap Asian knockoff.
Go figure.

Al Messer
12-11-2002, 05:51 PM
Might even help Clausing's bottom line.

crypto
12-12-2002, 10:09 AM
JCH

You are right on the mark. A friend who has a 1960 era LeBlond recently spoke to the factory people. In the course of their conversation he was told by LeBlond people that if they were still manufacturing those lathes they could sell every one they made. But today they simply cannot make them at an affordable price.

Several years ago I was offered 4 times what I paid for my 40 year old LeBlond.