PDA

View Full Version : Building a SMALL Shop

Too_Many_Tools
03-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Has anyone built a SMALL portable shop..."shop in a box"?

If so, I would like to see some pictures of it.

After looking around for ideas of how to do it, I was very surprised to see almost nothing posted. The only location that seems to have anything is Sherline's site.

Thanks in advance.

TMT

pgmrdan
03-12-2006, 07:42 PM
Look at Nick Carter's website - www.cartertools.com (http://www.cartertools.com)

There are a couple of people who have put their hobby machine shops (TAIG) in roll-around boxes the size of a tool tower.

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 03-12-2006).]

JCHannum
03-12-2006, 08:16 PM
The Shop Wisdom of Rudy Kouhoupt has a machine shop set up in a small furniture grade cabinet about the size of a night stand.

Of course, it was Rudy's.

jdunmyer
03-12-2006, 08:53 PM
Dunno what your desired end result is, but I made my Harbor Freight 7X10 mini-lathe portable by mounting it on a piece of 1/2" plywood and building a box that snaps over it like a portable sewing machine. Remove the 2 bolts that hold it to the stand, snap the cover on, and go. The old Craftsman machinist box on the shelf below holds most everything I need to use the lathe, no need to rob a bunch of stuff from the main toolbox.

dsergison
03-13-2006, 12:52 PM
a con-ex is a box right http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif 40*8*10

TECHSHOP
03-13-2006, 07:44 PM
I don't have pictures to post, but I have seen two:

The first was a watch makers lathe set up in a "steamer chest" in a antique shop, had a few jeweler and engraving tools in the drawers. I think it was pre-WWI.

The second wasn't a metal working shop. One of the assistant managers in the retail place I worked, was a retired travelling engineering consultant. He would make doll houses and/or wooden ship models on commission. His little shop fit into a small footlocker. He had a electric powered saw, mini drill press, hand tools...the shop must have been 150lbs, it was attached to a "hort/vert" hand truck.

------------------
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."