View Full Version : Heads up on a cheap miller

03-16-2006, 02:07 PM
Anyone in CT...todays Bargain News;

"MILLING MACHINE, Bpt Miller, very old, good cond, asking $395. (860) 379-4631 ."

NO personal interest other than I was going to look at it this afternoon but can't make it.
Gentleman said they've been using it for wood working only.

03-16-2006, 05:19 PM
What the heck is a Miller? someone who grinds flour?

The tame Wolf !

03-16-2006, 05:20 PM

S: (n) miller, milling machine (machine tool in which metal that is secured to a carriage is fed against rotating cutters that shape it)


03-16-2006, 05:29 PM

The tame Wolf !

03-16-2006, 05:43 PM
Not bull.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Software boosts CNC miller/driller output
New control software, significantly improving the ability to provide high speed production and die mould type machining in three, four or five-axes, features the latest CNC miller/driller.


<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Accuracy and speed from CNC miller

Viking offering a 2.5-axis version of the VM-4VS with an Acu-Rite MILLPWR CNC.


<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Bridgeport Series II
Special Vertical Miller


03-16-2006, 06:03 PM
Hey, I'm just trying to pass on some information someone here might find of use, I don't care if you call it a "do-hickey".

Maybe you shouldn't either and just walk on by.

03-16-2006, 06:05 PM
Mind you, you won't catch me calling a milling machine a miller...

03-16-2006, 06:20 PM
Damn straight.
I know I've certainly mended my ways!

03-16-2006, 06:29 PM
I am sorry Evan, I wasnt trying to argue with you or any one.
see thread....

The tame Wolf !

03-16-2006, 07:07 PM
millĀ·er ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mlr)
One who works in, operates, or owns a mill, especially a grain mill.
A milling machine.
Any of various moths whose wings and bodies have a powdery appearance.

Although your both right, it seems that the first definition of a word is the most common. I have not seen the second definition used until I came to this board.

03-16-2006, 07:16 PM
I am sorry to have to argue, but in Kansas a Miller is one fine beer as in Miller Genuine Draft. JIM

03-16-2006, 07:20 PM
Miller is the British iteration of what we in the colonies call a mill. Which should be called a milling machine to differentiate it from a wind mill or gin mill. See Tony's website, all the mills are called millers.

Miller is actually more correct than mill, as mill may describe the cutter as drill describes a drill. We call a driller a drill press even though it does not press anything when used properly.

Lather is another term for lathe, but the only person around here to use it that way was Jerry Smith. Go figure.

cam m
03-16-2006, 09:04 PM

Qsimdo was trying to point out a bargoon. Thanks to your childish antics, it's unlikely he'll do it again. Neither will I.


03-17-2006, 04:11 AM
Can m,and others, Qsimdo is not from across the pond,so what is wrong with trying to set him straight so he doesn't look like a fool when he may go to His local MSC and says I need a mill bit for my MILLER.They may say Is it a wire feed ,tig,Or stick?
Or the whole beer thing.

Thanx Qsimdo, for the Info.

The tame Wolf !

John Stevenson
03-17-2006, 04:27 AM
So if you get the name right do you save any money when you buy it ??

It can work to your advantage.
I bought a Gear Hobbig machine [ as spelt on Ebay ] with 52 hobs for 50 UK pounds, about $80
Mine was the only bid.

Some people can't afford to be pedantic http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Sir John

Your Old Dog
03-17-2006, 06:42 AM
There was a story on tv some time ago about a guy who looked for ebay items using incorrect spellings and he listed some of his buys.

Speaking of "buys" Sir John, you pick up "pedantic" on ebay too? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif I'd be embarrassed to be an accomplished machinist AND know that word as well !!

John Stevenson
03-17-2006, 07:44 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Your Old Dog:

Speaking of "buys" Sir John, you pick up "pedantic" on ebay too? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif I'd be embarrassed to be an accomplished machinist AND know that word as well !!</font>

Yes I did, how did you know?
I was searching for Pedalcycle. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

More on the pedal cycle bit later as the project is still on the Offical secrets list but it's a cracker.
A 3K tool for under $20

Sir John

[This message has been edited by John Stevenson (edited 03-17-2006).]