PDA

View Full Version : Magnifying Glasses

Wayne02
03-14-2006, 12:14 PM
Do they make glasses/goggles that have a strong lighted magnifying glass in them? I'm looking for a method of seeing the slivers to pull them out.

Right now I use the 10x lighted loupe which I have to balance in the hand that has the sliver while trying to pick the sliver out with tweezers held in the other hand. (these are slivers that are too deep to use the tape trick on).

I have one of those lighted swing-arm magnifying thingies, but the magnification is too weak. I also have a smallish stereo microscope, but I hate to drag that thing out every-time I have to pull a sliver.

Would like some glasses I could just slip on that would magnify and light the area, leaving both hands free. Maybe jewelers use something like this?

Thanks
Wayne

pgmrdan
03-14-2006, 12:16 PM
You could use one of the jeweler's loupes that Enco and Travers sell. Plenty of magnification.

PTSideshow
03-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Check out the selection this outfit has you should be able to find some thing here.
http://www.contenti.com/
Also harbor freight has a new item called an ear light. LED that hooks over your ear and you point it in the direction you want. I have used the one I got for a couple of thingsthat required extra light.
Item 93696 ear light LED 9.99

------------------
Glen
Been there, probally broke it doing that

[This message has been edited by PTSideshow (edited 03-14-2006).]

Evan
03-14-2006, 01:04 PM
Best gadget I have found for that is a pair sliver tweezers with tips that are at the exact focus of a small ten power lens mounted on the tweezers. They are available in Canada from Lee Valley Tools. Don't know about the USA.

tweezers (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=10435&cat=1,43456,43464)

IOWOLF
03-14-2006, 01:09 PM
Thats what I use,and works well.

------------------
The tame Wolf !

Mike Burdick
03-14-2006, 01:14 PM
One of the handiest things I have is a magnifier that fits on your head like a hat. Optivisor is a good USA made brand and Enco has sales on it in almost every catalog flier they put out. These are well made with optical glass. I have the 3.5X magnification model with a 4-inch focal length and for me it is more than adequate for finding slivers.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=DQ632-5320

Lee Paul
03-14-2006, 01:15 PM
HF also sells a "headband" that has some fixed and "flip up" magnifiers with lights on each side of the headband frame for about $10. They might also have a couple of "swingdown" loop type lenses that add a couple of other magnifications. I have a couple of pairs at home.

IIRC you get like.... 10X to 20X depending on which combinations of lenses you use. I see jewelers using "a more expensive" type often, but these will "do the job" fairly well. The lights on side are probably not aimed at any real close focal point, but with an overhead light and the lenses, I see just fine.

Good luck.......LP

John Garner
03-14-2006, 11:30 PM
I've taken to using a pair of the strongest "reading glasses" the local drugstore carries -- I think that they are +2.75 diopter -- instead of an Opti-Visor. The reading glasses are, for me, more comfortable and more convenient to carry around, although putting them on and taking them off takes a bit more fumbling than simply lowering and raising the Opti-Visor.

Seeing the splinter is one thing, catching it and dragging it out is another. A pair of excellent tweezers makes the latter almost easy. I use a pair of Unifit 3C tweezers made of a fairly soft stainless. The tips are sharpened almost to needles, but they grab and hold metal slivers marvelously well.

John

Rustybolt
03-15-2006, 08:14 AM
I use a 7X loupe that has a wire headband. It belonged to my grandfather. The tweezers are the ones you see at the checkout counter at the hardware store. You've seen them. They're flat and about an inch and a half long and come in a plastic cylinder with a plastic cap on it. So far they're the best I've found. The next piece of kit is a sewing needle honed to a very sharp point-sometimes you have to excavate. The next thing is a very bright halogen lamp.

Steve Stube
03-15-2006, 09:45 AM
You didn't say what kind of material the sliver was but it got me wondering if a strong magnet might take care of removal of some of the pesky little iron containing slivers. Be sure to place it on the entry side of the sliver to avoid having to dress two wound sites:-))

Seriously though has anyone had success removing a sliver with a magnet? MRI's don't count because they are handy to everyone.

pgmrdan
03-15-2006, 10:36 AM
The best tweezers I've ever used to remove splinters and slivers are the little tweezers on my Victorinox Swiss Army Knife.

They look like a waste of time but after one use you'll know they're serious little tweezers.

Dr. Nick
03-15-2006, 03:27 PM
I second the Swiss Army Knife tweezers. They're the first thing I grab to get splinters out.

Wayne02
03-17-2006, 11:34 AM
Thanks guys. I'm going to order one of those things that Evan posted. I also should get a quality set of tweezers, both for the shop and the house.

Right now I'm using harbor freight tweezers, and it is only marginally better than using vice grips to extract a sliver.

Wayne

Weston Bye
03-17-2006, 12:19 PM
"has anyone had success removing a sliver with a magnet?"

My dad got some slag in his eye from a cutting torch. The doctor removed it with a magnet - way back in the 1950's.

I keep a Neodymium magnet handy for sliver removal. Works occasionally.

Wes

John Stevenson
03-17-2006, 12:23 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evan:
Best gadget I have found for that is a pair sliver tweezers with tips that are at the exact focus of a small ten power lens mounted on the tweezers. They are available in Canada from Lee Valley Tools. Don't know about the USA.

tweezers (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=10435&cat=1,43456,43464)</font>

Wow-wee now those are neat.
All milling machines should be equiped with a set of these.
Have to have a look for a set UK side.

Edit:
Found a pair at the local tandy type store in town £2.50 a pair.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/full/20439i0.jpg

Sir John.

[This message has been edited by John Stevenson (edited 03-17-2006).]

TECHSHOP
03-17-2006, 12:56 PM
I use the tweezers that Evan recommends, same source, USA side. Also use the Swiss Army tweezers. The stainless steel, brass and bronze I worked with just won't stick to magnets. Also haven't had much luck with magnets and wood, back working in a cabinet shop (factory size) for money.

------------------
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Wirecutter
03-17-2006, 01:15 PM
I use the Swiss Army Knife tweezers and a set of surgical loupes. Never heard of the tape trick - I'm gonna have to try that next time.

Evan
03-17-2006, 01:19 PM
"Found a pair at the local tandy type store in town £2.50 a pair."

Yes, but do they have a quartz lens? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Seriously, the quartz lens on the Lee Valley tweezers is almost impossible to scratch. I need to order some as I can't find my other ones. I should probably buy two.

[edit]

I just ordered two.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 03-17-2006).]

lugnut
03-17-2006, 05:37 PM
While looking at Evan's link to the tweezers at Lee Vally Tools I came across another handy little magnifying tool worth looking at: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=45035&cat=1,43513
Mel

TECHSHOP
03-17-2006, 06:26 PM
To add to the tape technique. Is to use white glue or like wood glue. Spread it on, let it dry, and pull it off. Those little splinters usually come out. Not for them stuck in deep.

------------------
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."