PDA

View Full Version : semi OT: What to see in Taiwan or Tokyo?

Wirecutter
03-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Family obligations require that the wife and I visit Taipei, Taiwan and Tokyo, Japan in the next couple of weeks. While in Tokyo, the womenfolk intend to do nothing but shop, with occasional bathroom breaks.

I might be able to rustle up something interesting and machinery-related in Taiwan, since I've been there a few times, but anyone know of anything in the Tokyo area? I'm just not much of a clothes shopper.

I'm going to miss my shop. Thanks for any help anyone can offer. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif

Evan
03-17-2006, 03:27 PM
I guess I better not mention what my son did when he was there on Navy exercises...

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Tokyo, check out Akihabara row for the latest in goodies and gadgets.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 03-17-2006).]

Evan
03-17-2006, 03:38 PM
http://www.g4tv.com/features/49753/Things_to_do_in_Tokyo_When_Youre_Bored.html

Wirecutter
03-17-2006, 03:38 PM
Oh, I don't have any trouble imagining...

The same kinda was happening to me in Taipei when I met my wife. This pretty but very aggressive and predatory Filipino girl had latched onto me. She wanted me to take her back to the States and make twins.

Now, I'm not a "thithy" or anything, but where I come from, the women are not the hunters, the men are. All the woman has to do is give permission and you're in. I've had bad experiences with women that take the initiative. It's just normally not necessary. Anyway, this Filipino girl basically chased me into the arms of my wife, and we're living happily ever after.

I do remember running across more than a few very beautiful women that were not at all afraid to make the first move. I must have been a lot better looking back then - it never happens to me anymore.

IOWOLF
03-17-2006, 04:57 PM
Tiawan, has no copyright laws.look for books,cds etc. very cheap.

------------------
The tame Wolf !

rockrat
03-17-2006, 05:21 PM
Had a buddy that traveled there from time to time. He brought back about 20 different cd's with everything from new windows operating systems to Autocad, Pro-E, games, music. He said that they were $5.00 each.

He also brough back a lot of jade in the shape of different animals. Sold them all on ebay and made a killing.

Just a thought. And if you do anything bad, name it after me. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

rock-

GregC
03-17-2006, 05:29 PM
Tour Taiwan and you'll be able to tell your kids that you saw the former democracy only years before it was swallowed whole by the Chinese. When your kids ask why no one stopped them from doing it, you can tell them it's because all your Chinese tool-buying buddies had to have $45 drill presses and $20 chop saws.

[This message has been edited by GregC (edited 03-17-2006).]

Wirecutter
03-17-2006, 09:47 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GregC:
Tour Taiwan and you'll be able to tell your kids that you saw the former democracy only years before it was swallowed whole by the Chinese. When your kids ask why no one stopped them from doing it, you can tell them it's because all your Chinese tool-buying buddies had to have $45 drill presses and $20 chop saws.

[This message has been edited by GregC (edited 03-17-2006).]</font>

Please don't go there. Please don't go there. Please don't go there.

I really don't want to descend into my political rantings about how we've turned our back on a democratic country that has been a good friend to us, just because of our inability to stand up to the bullying of the F***ing thug Chinese govern********

Now see? Please don't get me started.

Life is good. Life is good. Life is good.

wierdscience
03-17-2006, 09:50 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IOWOLF:
Tiawan, has no copyright laws.look for books,cds etc. very cheap.

</font>

Ya,if you see any copies of HSM on cd rom bring back a few http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Wirecutter
03-17-2006, 09:53 PM
One of the things I like about Taipei is that the city seems to concentrate certain "interests" in areas of the city, kind of like the way cities tend to have "enclaves" of particular ethnic groups.

If you want to find jade, in any shape or form, there's a part of the city where all the jade seems to be concentrated. Right down the block is "computer alley", where - you guessed it - you can find anything relating to computers. Have you ever seen a store the size of a travel trailer that caters exclusively to products for wiring your house for ethernet? There's another place for vintage (and tube type) stereo equipment, another for camera stuff, etc, etc. It's cool because you can find it all in a very small area.

Tokyo, from what I can tell, is not arranged that way. Oh, and of course, everything I've read so far seems to indicate that I'll probably offend almost anyone I come in contact with and at the same time, embarrass myself.

In other words, same s**t, different day.

I don't care. I'm going on vacation, and I'm gonna have fun, dammit.

Evan
03-17-2006, 10:35 PM
Effective 2001 Taiwan copyright law is compliant with the WTO and the bilateral treaty with the US. If you find cheap software etc. it will be confiscated if found by customs as it is pirated.

Ries
03-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Tokyo-
Well, its hard to find a machinist supply store in Tokyo.
But in Akibara, the electronics neighborhood, there are some cool tool stores. When you come off the subway there, all you see are the 10 story tall electronics stores selling stereos and cameras- but in the middles of the blocks, there are rabbit warrens of hundreds of small shops selling LED's, or resistors, or cable, or tube amps. Several of them sell nothing but tools.
Japanese tools are expensive- but very elegant and high quality.

You should hit the transportation museum- its just a stop or two south of Akibara. Trains, planes, cars, motorcycles.

There is a chain of stores called Tokyo Hand- they are sort of a general purpose craft/hobby store- there is a big one in Shibuya, I think, just above the subway station- it has some cool tools and supplies, some tiny drill presses and lathes- mostly sized for apartments. Good for hand tools.

Both Toyota and Honda have big museums of their cars.

The main machine tool town is Nagoya, about a 2 hour train ride from Tokyo. If you have the energy, you could get up early and get there and back in a day. There is a machine tool museum in the lobby of the Mazak factory, including their first machines they used to make the first Mazaks- Brown and Sharpes.
But like all of japan, its kind of hard to find things- I would want to know somebody who spoke english in Nagoya.

Havent been to it, but there is this place in Yokohama-
http://www.asterhobby.com/

Other fun things to do in Tokyo- go down to the main fish market at 6 in the morning- watch the guys cut up $3000 hunks of tuna with knives (not swords) 3 feet long. Every thing that lives in the water is for sale there.

History museum, in Ueno park, has some good armour and samaurai swords.

Main thing I do in Tokyo is eat. Sushi, Okonomaki, Noodles, Shabu Shabu, tons of good food cheap there.

Wirecutter
03-18-2006, 01:18 PM
Reis -
Now that's good info - thanks. I'll try to check some of these things out.

I do like the food, too. One of the cool things about most properly prepped Japanese food is that, whether you like the taste or not, the presentation sure is pretty.

Ries
03-18-2006, 02:14 PM
I wouldnt worry about embarassing yourself in Tokyo- I found the japanese to be really nice to dumb white guys wandering around.
Everybody was very polite and helpful to me- I was there twice in the last couple of years with my kids, just bumming around.

There is a neighborhood up in NorthEast Tokyo with a lot of small machine shops, each usually about the size of a single car garage- you can see em just walking around on the street. Some guys will let you in, others are too busy to be bothered.

If you take the subway to the Minowa stop, and just walk around for a half hour or so, on the side streets, you will see welding shops, woodworking shops, and some small machine shops. They are all open different hours, and no signs, so one day there is a closed rollup door, the next day a cnc lathe running parts.

Another cool area to walk around in is the restaurant supply neighborhood over in Asakusa- whole shops selling rubber sushi, and a couple of the coolest knife stores around- you can spend $100, or $200, or $500 on a 9" chef's knife, depending on who made it- and japanese chef's often know the name of the guy who made their knife.

Millman
03-18-2006, 03:07 PM
Has anyone other than me received the email from Taiwan about wanting you to be a machinery and tool distributor? I just deleted it, but will probably get more. So, check into THAT and be nice and give us all, maybe; tooling marked down 50-80%! Sounds good to me and thanks in advance!

------------------
BFH