PDA

View Full Version : 6''x 26" Knee Mill

Reelmaster
03-18-2006, 10:04 PM
Hi Guy,s.. Can any body who has the Asian built Taiwan or Chinese 6 "x 26" Table size Knee Mill advise me if the Power Drive units for this machine can be fitted to any model ???? I have been told you need to have a model with a longer Table Feed screw to be able to mount same & in all pics I have seen of this set-up the Power Unit is always mounted on the R/H/S' of the Table.

Any Advise/ assistance given wil be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards. Jack.

Bill Pace
03-18-2006, 10:52 PM
Jack,

You need to go over and join the Yahoo 6x26 group, theres just been a running thread on this topic....plus theres all kinds of other good stuff there. Look in the files/photos for a couple applications of adapting a PF (one of em is mine, the WT model)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/6x26millingmachines/
http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/6x26millingmachines/photos/browse/9f65

Now, having said that, the "Bridgeport style"/"hang down" power feeds WILL fit, BUT!! not as a bolt on, you have to modify one, and there are more than a couple ways to get results. The 2-3 mods I know of used the existing table screw, and was able to retain the hand feed knob also.

I never could get satisfied that there WAS a dedicated PF to fit the 6x26s, Grizz shows one on their model as a package, but cant seem to find it as a listing in the catalog as a stand alone purchase,---- from my research, it's a gray area. Maybe some of the guys on this forum know of a specific type that will be a "bolt on".

Bill

TECHSHOP
03-19-2006, 07:56 AM
I bravely went out to the below freezing shop to look at my "pile of parts". The Grizzly power feed is "ALIGN" on its stickers. I don't think it is sold "seperate and complete" by Griz. But looking at pics Griz uses it on a few different machines, so I think you could get it as "parts".

I looked at a few other USA importers catalogs and didn't see it offered seperately. The Griz versions without the power feed have the same length screw and a spacer. If your machine has the spacer on the right-hand side, I would guess that you have the "longer" feed screw. Again, looking at catalog pics, I can't say for sure if that length is universal to all machines.

The "ALIGN" is different from the B-port type, in mounting (no "screw plate"). That's what little I know about my 6x26 power feed, I have been trying to find the manual and papers.

------------------
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Ian B
03-19-2006, 09:46 AM
Teh separate power feed units are available in the UK - try

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/

and search for 'power feed' - there are 2 models. I gues you should be able to find them in the US too, especially as they're already 110v.

Ian

speedsport
03-19-2006, 03:13 PM
I have sitting in my garage a new asian 6x26 knee mill and 2 new powerfeeds, I will be looking at these this evening, I will post my findings, ( I hope it doesn't piss Wolf off).

Alan in Oz
03-19-2006, 03:41 PM
Jack,
Trust you are buttoned down for cyclone Larry. I used to some years ago have a similar mill from Hafco VM1 model and the power feed unit I purchased later was an Align model with a universal mounting adaptor, shims etc in the kit, I presume primarily for the "Bridgeport" style table end. With slight hole alignment and shortning of one of the bushes it fitted the VM1 and worked very well. As already mentioned they require (at least at the time) 110 volts AC input. I had to mount a seperate stepdown transformer for this. My other mods to the unit were to fit a VFD and some toothed drive belts which resulted in the unit running much smoother even though the belts were a little noiser.

I doubt it would be practial to fit the drive to the left end of the table (presuming it has a handle ther) as the controls would be on the back side.

Allan Waterfall
03-19-2006, 03:43 PM
I fitted one to my Tom Senior mill,but I used the stick out version.
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Forum1/HTML/007772.html

Allan

Too_Many_Tools
03-19-2006, 04:25 PM
The power feed is available from Grizzley as a parts request....I asked.

The yahoo 6x26 mill group is an excellent resource and I highly recommend it.

This mill compares favorably with the Clausing mill of comparable size. While not as finely finished, it can come in R8 (easily tooled), easily broken down when you need to transport it and parts are available from a number of sources.

The only temporary downside is the Z height is limited but when one adds an easily made spacer block that problem goes away.

The one I have will follow me to the old folks home when the time comes. Along with that, a lathe and a rocking chair I will be ready to make chips for a long time.

TMT

IOWOLF
03-19-2006, 05:40 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by speedsport:
I have sitting in my garage a new asian 6x26 knee mill and 2 new powerfeeds, I will be looking at these this evening, I will post my findings, ( I hope it doesn't piss Wolf off).</font>

Why would it ? I know how to use one,but wouldn't own one.But hey, we buy what we can afford. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

Ever learn how to post a Picture?

------------------
The tame Wolf !

speedsport
03-19-2006, 09:26 PM
nope.

TECHSHOP
03-20-2006, 07:52 PM
IOWOLF:

So, do you think I didn't get enough change back from my $50 bill when I bought mine?

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//confused.gif

------------------
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

speedsport
03-20-2006, 08:11 PM
Hey Reelmaster/Jack
If you want to chat about this email me at speedsport@cox.net.
Ron

Reelmaster
03-21-2006, 01:25 AM
Hi Guy's Many Thanks for all the informative responses to my request really appreciated . I'm certainly a little wiser now,

Alan. We were lucky with the Cyclone, not much damage at Cairns except for a lot of Foilage & Tree's down every where, Poor
Inisfail, 80kms south had severe damage to every 1 house in 3. pretty horrific.!!!!

I'm sure the machine you had was similar to the one John Devitt has now,

The logical place to place the unit is on the R/H/End & every machine or Pic of similar machines (bunch of similar) I have seen ,seem to need an extended shaft rather than the std lenght,the sellers tell me they fit No Problems!!!!!!! & then they say they fitted one to L/H End, recently????? so what does that tell you , I want to be sure, before I buy, likewise the unit they offer needs a Transformer.

I will set up for 3 phase & VFD eventually.

We finall got the R8 Spindle Unit for John's toy from China through some friends at our Reel Mfg plant ,aso that will keep him busy,

Hope to get over there soon & catch up

Best Regards. Jack.

TECHSHOP
03-31-2006, 05:55 PM
I did some more sorting of parts in the shop. The power feed from my machine is (I think) an AL-300S. I found that Penn Tool Co. carries the ALIGN power feeds in their mail flyer catalogs. I didn't see them listed in the yearly catalogs, and haven't tried the web site.