PDA

View Full Version : Homebuilt Offroad Machine

audrey
10-05-2003, 11:23 AM
My Husband was looking at Plans from EDGE COMPANY in Australia on a web page called 6x6. Has anyone had experience with the EDGE line of Plans. He wanted to build a Small Dune Buggy for the Kids and the pile of Nieces and Nephews. Thanx Audrey

BC21OSH
10-05-2003, 12:40 PM
Audrey,

I can't help you with information on the Edge company, but this brought up an interest of mine. My son also wants to build some sort of off road vehicle for he and his friends. Back in the early 70's when I was working at a small engine shop, my boss purchased three "Dunecycles", three wheeled off road scooters. They were really simple and a blast to drive. They were powered by 3 1/2 HP Brigg's, 8 HP Tecumseh and one with a racing 2 stroke, don't remember the brand. They had an optional ski that replaced the front wheel so that they could be used in the snow. I took one, the 8HP model, up into the mountains one winter; that was a kick. I would like to get some plans if available for something like that or find a source of parts.

Bernard

ibewgypsie
10-05-2003, 12:47 PM
Me too. Plans.. Plans.. Plans.. I got this tubing bender getting rusty..
I did download the plans on THE SHRIKE off the web.. it is a tandem two seater with motorcycle rear power. He used triumph front suspension.
Looks like a lot of fun for a crashed crotch rocket. They cost more to replace the plastic than they are worth. Only problem I see, is crashworthiness.. You are the first one to get to the accident. The heavy motorcycle hits you from behind with inertia.
David.

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 10-05-2003).]

Alan in Oz
10-17-2003, 03:52 AM
Audery,
Have just seen your post, I think that Company is here in Perth where I live, is there anything I can help you with.
Alan

ibewgypsie
10-17-2003, 09:10 AM
I was thinking, two vari-drive belt drives hooked one to each side.. Northern has them for go carts. Hydraulics would be better, but you'd have to cool it too. I got Jap motorcycle motors laying around.. More power,, Harummph...

Sounds like fun even for us grown ups. I had a 4 wheeler powered by Kawasaki 900.. it was overkill and dangerous, had a go cart powered by a 650 yamaha, it was overkill and dangerous.. Be nice to have something I can actually use.. perhaps a 100cc or 250 cc motor?

nitacboss
10-18-2003, 12:10 AM
Funny this topic should creep up. I have long thought about an off road macro dune buggy type of thing as well. But alas I am not a gas engine type.

But more lately I've been giving thought to a 4-wheeled electric single-person scooter for tooling around my very large factory I work in. I was thinking of something along the lines of a mobility style scooter in design concept but with more industrial lines and strength. The unit should be able to go through a door way, handle about 350 lbs (me), top speed of about 10 mph and be very stable (pyramidal shape with regards to stability with my fat ass below the CG).

I was thinking of using a similar drive train to that of the electric Bugatti depicted on the current cover of Machinist"s Workshop.

Joel
10-18-2003, 02:22 AM
I built a tube-framed dune buggy (quite awhile ago), and I have never had so much fun 4-wheeling. They are cheap to buy, relatively simple to build, and easy to drive. They have a very short wheelbase and approach/departure angles, so they can go through sharp ditches. High centering is hard to do, and it's very easy to get free if you do manage it. Mine will climb just about anything and it jumps like heck. I can't even 4-wheel in a truck anymore I'm so spoiled. A highly recommended toy, lots of bang for the buck!

Evan
10-18-2003, 02:39 AM
Nitac,

Sorta sounds like the industrial strength Segway. About $7000

nitacboss
10-18-2003, 10:08 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evan:
Nitac,
Sorta sounds like the industrial strength Segway. About $7000</font>

I was thinking more along the lines of $1000 tops for everything 'cept the drive train. I looked at the sources from that Bugatti story and found the control stuff here:
http://www.curtisinst.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=cProducts.dspProductCategory&catID=11
I was also amused to find that they have a link marked: "EV Enthusiasts and Do-it Yourself Mechanics - click here" http://www.curtisinst.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=cContact.dspDistributors#evEn thusiasts
Guess they don't want to be bothered with the likes of us basement types...

slayer666
03-20-2006, 12:54 AM
Where can I find the plans for THE SHRIKE?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:
Me too. Plans.. Plans.. Plans.. I got this tubing bender getting rusty..
I did download the plans on THE SHRIKE off the web.. it is a tandem two seater with motorcycle rear power. He used triumph front suspension.
Looks like a lot of fun for a crashed crotch rocket. They cost more to replace the plastic than they are worth. Only problem I see, is crashworthiness.. You are the first one to get to the accident. The heavy motorcycle hits you from behind with inertia.
David.

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 10-05-2003).]</font>

Michael Moore
03-20-2006, 01:32 PM
You might want to look a the plans for off-road buggies at

http://www.rorty-design.com/content/rorty_design_home.htm

There's a lot of interesting fabrication info too.

cheers,
Michael

3 Phase Lightbulb
03-20-2006, 01:58 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Michael Moore:
You might want to look a the plans for off-road buggies at

http://www.rorty-design.com/content/rorty_design_home.htm

There's a lot of interesting fabrication info too.

cheers,
Michael</font>

That's a great site.. I wish I knew about that site earlier.. I really like how most of the components that go into building a buggy are pictured individually.

-Adrian

IOWOLF
03-20-2006, 02:00 PM
Did anyone notice the orig. post date?

------------------
The tame Wolf !

tattoomike68
03-20-2006, 02:57 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IOWOLF:
Did anyone notice the orig. post date?

</font>

yes, A little bit of message board necromancy going on. But still on topic.

LG
03-21-2006, 02:45 AM
This company has been around for a long time and there are plenty of checkable references on their web site.
http://www.abacus.com.au/~theedge/customerbuggies.htm

LG