PDA

View Full Version : My wife wants to know....

DanR
03-18-2006, 01:24 AM
My wife asked me why I NEEDED a mill and lathe... specifically what would I use if for.

My response was "When I have more time, I can make all sorts of things."

That wasn't good enough. She asked, " Well what kinds of things?"

I was in shock. Well, "Stuff". I said. I can make.... [and in my mind I thought of all sorts of tools for the machines that I could make], but I didn't come up with anything beside "Candlesticks".

She wasnt' impressed. (I didn't tell her they couldn't have many curves because I didn't have a CNC version.)

Now, I am absolutely convinced that there must be dozens of things for around the house that I could make, but I can't really name any and hoped I could get some better ideas to impress my wife with the NEXT TIME (and I have to believe there will be a next time) she asks that question.

Can anybody help?

[This message has been edited by DanR (edited 03-18-2006).]

mochinist
03-18-2006, 01:27 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DanR:
Can anybody help?[This message has been edited by DanR (edited 03-18-2006).]</font>Dont ask your wife next time

Tinkerer
03-18-2006, 01:33 AM
DanR Just tell her "NEED" has nothing to do with it... You WANT them. Matter of fact they've been ordered and are on the way. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

After you've turned good metal to scrap you'll make sumthin' useful sum time eventually. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Oh and welcome to the zoo.

psomero
03-18-2006, 01:42 AM
sure you can make curves. small ones can be done with a radiused tool (all it takes is a radius gage and patience) and bigger ones can be done by cutting steps (there's programs out there to do the coordinates for you) and then finishing them with emory cloth.

twowheelinjim
03-18-2006, 02:10 AM
Wow, I'm speachless. Why do I need my mill or lathe? Thats it, they are up for sale... Or maybe I should trade them for some pottery equiptment. Let's go check out the pottery website. Just kidding. I feel every person has a need to create things. Machines play a sort of an extension of one's imagenation fueled by creativity and desire. You could tell her it will make you a more passionate person. I dont know of anybody who purchased a lathe or a mill just to brag about it like it was a fancy car. So to justify why one needs a special machine one has to look deep inside the soul. I express myself through my work. If you have experience machining you may understand my feelings. I work all day in a private machine shop, and still find time to come home and turn a few parts just to clear my mind and relax. I like watching my kids machining aswell. Maybe I'm crazy.

Joel
03-18-2006, 02:27 AM
Why do you need a lathe and mill? Do you just want to learn machining as a hobby or is there some problem that you want or need to solve?

I purchased my first machines because I needed machined parts made that weren’t available. It didn’t take all that long for the first few pieces of equipment to pay for themselves. I have always had the need to make an adapter, turn down a shaft, make a bushing, or whatever. They do come in handy for a multitude of repairs, but it would take quite awhile for the cost to balance out for that purpose alone. It would likewise take a lot of candlesticks to justify a lathe.

Many on this site enjoy making steam engines, nut crackers and the like, purely for the pleasure of doing so. It may not be the cheapest hobby, but it sure is an enjoyable and educational one. It is also one heck of a creative outlet. What kind of equipment are you looking for anyway? Mini lathes and mills really don’t cost very much, assuming they will fulfill your needs.

Life existed before dishwashers, icemakers and a host of other items we use every day. I view them as tools that make my life easier, more enjoyable, or simply give me more time to do other things that I find interesting. Expensive furniture, artwork, and the ubiquitous shoe collection may yield enjoyment, but their value declines and the value they add is both limited and subjective. It’s just a matter of how you look at things. The cost of one nice vacation will pay for some decent machines, and you will probably use and enjoy those machines for the rest of your life.

If your wife truly won’t support your interests simply on the basis that you want them, I don’t know, maybe you are out of luck. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

Mrs. R, please let Dan have his equipment. Surely he has worked hard, made sacrifices and deserves to have some fun. The machines will encourage his creativity, he will learn many new things which will help keep his mind sharp, and he will even be able to save some money by fixing things for the vehicles and around the house. It will certainly increase his appreciation of you, were you to approve of and encourage one of his passions. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Evan
03-18-2006, 02:46 AM
"but I didn't come up with anything beside "Candlesticks"."

Napkin rings (serviette rings). http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

CCWKen
03-18-2006, 02:47 AM
LOL... Candlesticks. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

There's all sorts of things you can make but in the beginning, lean toward the things that you can FIX! It makes more points if you can fix something rather than buying a new one. (Even if cost more in materials http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif )

Instead of ordering that $40 nylon bearing and paying a service guy $200 to replace it, you can make it! Instead of replacing a $200 motor, make new bushings. Instead of ordering that $100 part for the garbage compressor, make it. Instead of buying that $250 hub for the lawn tractor, make it. New blades for food processor, a new ring or a piece of jewelry.

I use my machines to make parts for other machines and tools. I can't wait around for a month while a custom die shop makes me a set of rolling dies for a 31 Ford fender. I can make a set of bead rolling dies and save as much as $300 or more. I can make power hammer dies and save $400+. I can make the power hammer and save $5000+! Instead of ordering custom motor mounts and loosing a couple of weeks, make them. It's hard to find parts for a 1910 water pump so I make them. The more you make, the more you'll save.

Start with a lathe and drill press. Work up from there. You don't need CNC to make curves. A radius attachment for the lathe can do that. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

Evan
03-18-2006, 03:10 AM
We went shopping a while back for some simple curtain rods. What crap! If you painted them they would collapse from the extra weight. I made some from 1/2" cold rolled and blued them. You could get fancy and turn some decorative brass finials for them too. They are strong enough to hang someone from.

Alan in Oz
03-18-2006, 05:02 AM
To keep you out of the pub and off the streets at night so your wife will know where to find you. I'm not sure which is cheaper though. Get them and enjoy.

Gary Gill
03-18-2006, 05:25 AM
After working all day on a computer, I find working in the home shop relaxing. My mill is handy for making tools for the lathe and the lathe is handy for making tools for the mill. All the while I keep my sanity in some sort of order.

Peter S
03-18-2006, 06:02 AM
You can also look in say Model Engineer magazine to see what amazing things you can make in a small home workshop - a beautiful working steam locomotive, gas engine, working scale model Gnome rotary aero engine, etc etc.

IOWOLF
03-18-2006, 06:38 AM
You sound like an other Whiped guy on this board,tell her you are going to buy a lathe.
Who wears the pants in your house,who pays the bills,If you don't go into debt to buy one just do it.

I wouldn't own a wife that wouldn't let me buy things.

Note, No smilies in this post.

------------------
The tame Wolf !

WJHartson
03-18-2006, 06:56 AM
Looking at it from another view point, my wife has been asked by some of her friends how can she let me spend all of that money on the shop and tools. Her answer is it makes him happy, we save money because he can fix or make things and the biggest thing is I know where he is.

She didn't mind the extra money that came in when I turned the hobby into a business years ago. Today it is back to a hobby.

There are two ways to gain wealth. Making and saving a lot of money, and by not having to spend money to get things repaired. It takes a while for the second one to take place because you have to pay for the tool first. The lathe and mill will pay for themselves many times over while some of the other tools will never pay for themselves but support the lathe and mill.

When I first started buying tool and wanted a mill I told my wife I was going to buy one. She asked where I was going to put it, then she answered the question by saying, "I know in front of the stove". We still laugh about that today.

Today she supports me completely with the shop and I let her buy kitchen stuff. She has one of the best equipped kitchen around. I am in the process right now remodeling the kitchen for her. Part of the repairs after Katrina but it is where I started.

Hope this helps.

Joe

speedsport
03-18-2006, 06:58 AM
"I wouldn't own a wife who wouldn't let me buy things", LET me buy things!, L-E-T me buy things?, some of you guys make me wanna puke. Sounds like "Mommy, can I have a candybar?", your wives probably spend enough on makeup every year to outfit a nice homeshop. I should send your wife a photo of whats sitting in my garage right now waiting for me to finish the new building I'm working on. Get some balls.

charlie coghill
03-18-2006, 07:19 AM
I just tell her that it keeps my out of the bars and from chasing those nasty ol women, that always works. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

joeby
03-18-2006, 07:19 AM
I didn't need my tools either. I have them at work, why would I "need" them here too?
I got the evil eye when I brought some of my machines home; but not so much anymore. Maybe instead of justifying before you buy, do it after.
In time you'll both wonder how you got along without!

Kevin

Your Old Dog
03-18-2006, 07:27 AM
Be honest with her. Tell her you don't really "need" a lathe and mill. But you're at a cross roads in your life and trying to decide if you want some shop gear or that brand new Harley so you can go riding with the boys. See the sites, Laconaia, Daytona, Bad Lands of the Dakotas and all the taverns between here and there. But then again you didn't know if you wanted to spend that much time away from her or that much money on a new bike! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

I was just going to beat mine over the head with my caveman club but I can't find it unless I turn around fast enough, she shoved it up my backside long ago! I married an equal and it's kind of nice!

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 03-18-2006).]

IOWOLF
03-18-2006, 07:34 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by speedsport:
"I wouldn't own a wife who wouldn't let me buy things", LET me buy things!, L-E-T me buy things?, some of you guys make me wanna puke. Sounds like "Mommy, can I have a candybar?", your wives probably spend enough on makeup every year to outfit a nice homeshop. I should send your wife a photo of whats sitting in my garage right now waiting for me to finish the new building I'm working on. Get some balls.</font>

I misspoke,I don't need permission to buy any thing in the shop, In fact She bought me the SB7" Shaper.

Send the Photo I will show it to her.
Marriage is a 2 way street,there are stop signs but more Yeild signs.

------------------
The tame Wolf !

John Stevenson
03-18-2006, 07:46 AM
OK here's a few classic examples.

When we moved here the small Myford was fitted with a 3 pin plug and moved in straight away.
Normally it was hard wired.

Only been in the house 2 hours and the gas fittings were different. Simple screwed collar and away we went.

Last year Gert came back from the hardware store with a set of taps she really liked.
On opening them some of the fittings were wrong and they wouldn't fit where she wanted them.
Called back, last set in store and was offered a refund or rebate.
She really liked these taps [ unusual design ] so we took the rebate and I machined up new adaptors.

Ask youself "Can my neighbor do that "?

I've made no end of bits for her sewing hobby, she's the only women around here with a 3 phase sewing machine with VFD drive http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Remodeling the kitchen a while ago and there is this stonking great shut off tap for the cold water at ground level sticking out where a unit needs to go.
Water board wants to dig the floor up, reroute the pipe for 3 UK Pounds less than the morgage.
Thanks but no thanks, shut the water off in the road, remove body of tap, screwcut a bung same thread as body and fit, fit new shutoff tap inside unit above.

That's what a lathe at home does for you...

Sir John.

John Stevenson
03-18-2006, 07:54 AM
"I wouldn't own a wife who wouldn't let me buy things", LET me buy things!, L-E-T me buy things?, some of you guys make me wanna puke. Sounds like "Mommy, can I have a candybar?", your wives probably spend enough on makeup every year to outfit a nice homeshop. I should send your wife a photo of whats sitting in my garage right now waiting for me to finish the new building I'm working on. Get some balls.</font>

I perhaps shouldn't mention that Gert bought a Myford Super 7 with attachments, hardened bed, 3 phase motor, invertor drive and screwcutting gearbox for £250 UKP.
If this wasn't bad enough she got one of those small Bridgy look alikes with 8 speed power feed, rotary table, dividing head, 3 axis DRO, vise and collets also for £250 UKP [ about $440 ]

John S.

joeby
03-18-2006, 07:54 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Ask youself "Can my neighbor do that "?</font>

My wife has fun with that. Her friends have asked many times where she bought something. Really stirs them up when they're told that you can't buy one.
I have more fun with the "you can't make those! You have to buy them" comments.

Kevin

thistle
03-18-2006, 07:59 AM
Uhhhhh
Secret underground high tech laboratory-information on equipment and techniques
and articles produced is on a need to know
basis.

most of the stuff produced is extremly small
and to the casual un trained eye resembles
6 s and 9s with the occasional helix-nuff said cant reveal any more.

Mcgyver
03-18-2006, 08:00 AM
A mill and a lathe are what you need to start, but quickly many more items become necessities. They are necessities to you and the various projects you’re trying to complete. We are understand that, they, the spouse, either will or won’t but that should not be relevant.

If you’re wood worker you’d be forever pestered with fix this, or build this crappy bookshelf. With machining, (JS’s domestic tool and die notwithstanding http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif) neither the projects, the mill, the lathe or any of the other necessities have any practical use or function for anything around the house, that’s the beauty of it. The perfect hobby, no practical purpose to it (outside of guy/shop stuff). If you can afford it, and are being fair, it’s a dangerous precedent allowing practicality to creep into the discussions

Gotta agree with snowman, being a caveman is the path the workshop bliss grasshopper

hey come on over and we'll turn some cylindrical candles sticks outa hot rolled - that'll convince her

[This message has been edited by Mcgyver (edited 03-18-2006).]

speedsport
03-18-2006, 08:17 AM
since I lurk mostly, someone explain to me how to post photos and I will put'em up. Some of you guys are going to be really jealous!!, and I ain't finished buying stuff yet. And I don't know how to use most of this stuff. It's gonna be FUN!!!

DanR
03-18-2006, 08:38 AM
You guys are a hoot!!!

First of all, you can stop feeling sorry for me. I have had a lathe/mill/drill for 7 years. I have far more money in tooling than in the original equipment, and if I wanted to buy a new Bridgeport tomorrow, my wife wouldn't complain a bit.

What she did ask was why I needed it. I haven't done much with it in the time I have had it, and I wanted to be able to identify the things I could build with it that were beneficial for the home.

So far I have the following:

1. napkin rings (serviette rings for those of you down under)
2. curtain rod with finial
3. things from Model Engineer (every home should have a steam engine).
4. gas fittings (valid if thereis a need)
5. modify taps (I presume water taps)

MOST of what I have seen for projects in magazines are lots of tools for the lathe and mill... but they certainly aren't for around the house. I thought I ought to be able to relate usefulness of the equipment to needs around the house... but I am still a bit short of the $$$$ I have spent so far (not withstanding that I enjoy having it).

I walked around my house and added the following?

6. cabinet knobs [drawback here is that I can probably buy them eheaper)
7. a lamp
8. new ends for fireplace tools (but there is really nothing wrong with the ones i have)
9. candlesticks - (the original)
10. candle snuffer (but I have two I don't use now).

Still, the list seems kind of short.

Thistle -your answer made me laugh! I asked
what I could tell my wife the NEXT TIME (and I have to believe there will be a next time) she asks that question [why I needed a mill and lathe].

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thistle:
Uhhhhh
Secret underground high tech laboratory-information on equipment and techniques
and articles produced is on a need to know
basis.

most of the stuff produced is extremly small
and to the casual un trained eye resembles
6 s and 9s with the occasional helix-nuff said cant reveal any more.
</font>

This was particularly funny because I work in a secure government facility all day, and can't tell her what I do there.

Now the other answers were technically on topic, but they focused on what I could tell her (some just short of "Shut up and sit down woman!"). I have found after 34 years of marriage that this type of answer does nothing for bedroom romance.

I am really more amazed that I can't find more than 10 things that are hard examples of things I can make for the home!!!!!
Somebody out there must have made things that don't fit race cars!!!!

SGW
03-18-2006, 08:51 AM
Well, let's see... Some of the things I've made:
A part to fix the washing machine, saved the cost of a service call and maybe the cost of a new washing machine.
A hose adapter for the vacuum cleaner.
Supports for the shower curtain rod in the upstairs shower stall.
The shower curtain rod. (titanium, yet!)
A bushing for the car.
etc.

A friend, who is also a machine shop nut, and I frequently remark to each other, "I don't know how I could manage without a machine shop in the basement."

But that's not the point. Even with all that it enables me to do around the house, I don't "need" a machine shop...except for my own pleasure and personal sanity as a way to relax.

Tell her it's a lot cheaper than drinking or golf. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

GregC
03-18-2006, 09:12 AM
Tell her 'marital aids' then run like hell.

J Tiers
03-18-2006, 09:43 AM
Hmmmm. Stuff that was done for the homestead?

An absolutely un-buyable plumbing adapter to get the filter hooked to the water tap.

Un-buyable screws and misc thinguses to fix antique lamps

Closet rod hangers.... all the store-boughten types were chineap stamped metal, and 1/8" oversize.... turned up a slick pair out of aluminum.

Pieces to fix the garden tiller (we don't know what brand it is, if any)

Pieces to fix other garden equipment.

Special nuts for the solar/battery system.

That's just what I can remember from recently, and that wasn't done for a friend or neighbor.

But then, we both agree that things should be fixed, not automatically tossed.

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 03-18-2006).]

Fred White
03-18-2006, 09:44 AM
&gt;&gt;I just tell her that it keeps my out of the bars and from chasing those nasty ol women

My wife used to do marriage counseling. She's heard many of the above stories. So I now have a bunch of tools in my basement.

But tell your wife she's right, you don't need them. Instead you are going to get a pickup with a camper, a gun, and a fishing pole so you can hunting and fishing every weekend for food to eat. That's an important need for the family.

My wife heard those stories too. Guess who the buddy was that went with the husband...

Evan
03-18-2006, 09:52 AM
"Tell her 'marital aids' then run like hell. "

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Another for the list! Do you know what these things cost???

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">

Aluminum Dildos

The Cadillac of dildos! Our precision crafted, CNC machined dildos offer the best performance in heat and cold transfer. Simply heat the dildo under warm running water or pop it in the fridge for a chilling sensation. Each dildo is highly polished to a mirror finish for the smoothest feel possible. Once play time is over simply clean your trophy with warm soap and water.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Classic dildo style with the performance only 6011 aluminum can offer. Dildo features knurled end for a positive grip during play time. Treat your partner to one of the highest quality dildos on the market.

The Torpedo 1"x7" $39.69

http://kenstwistedmind.com/Aluminumdildos.htm
</font>

joeby
03-18-2006, 09:52 AM
Maybe another angle. Teach her how to use it, then ask what SHE can make with it. Then buy yourself one!

Kevin

johnny o
03-18-2006, 09:57 AM
Iowolf
(I wouldnt own a wife who doesnt let me buy things)
Maybe I'll put her on ebay and pick up a new tool with the money. She tries to complain about me not making nice furniture, etc. thinks I'm norm abrahm. I once heard a neighbor tell her when she wanted crown moulding made I'd be happy to do it she just wasnt asking for the right material, he'd gladly make it from aluminum for you. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
Thank you, Thank you very much!
Johnny O

joeby
03-18-2006, 10:00 AM
Evan may have stumbled upon justification for a shap....
Never mind.

Kevin

QSIMDO
03-18-2006, 10:02 AM
My wife just spent $4500 on a sewing machine for her quilting hobby....with equipment like that for them you don't NEED no steenkin' excuse!

Evan
03-18-2006, 10:03 AM
Yeah but, is it made from billet?

larry_g
03-18-2006, 11:07 AM
I think that for most hobbiests that the need for tools is the creative outlet. Paint, paint brushes, canvas for the artist. The sewing machine, material, room for the seamstress. The fishing, hunting, boating, collecting, drawing, et all. They are all outlets for creative or other needs in our lives. I believe that any hobby you get into has no upper end to the money you can spend on it. I want to think that some hobbies have a better chance than others of helping to pay for themselves. Tell us what your wifes hobbies are and we may be able to be a better help with the conversation. My wife raises sheep. It has cost me two barns lots of fensing, acres of land and tons of feed. I on the other hand get to eat some of the best lamb in the country. I spend lots of hours in the shop making items like gate hinges, locks, feeders, stands, parts for her AMT600 (Gator). The first lathe I had paid for itself with the ability to make parts for her starter that John deere wanted $600 for. Mesh your hobby with hers and it helps.
lg
no neat sig line

mochinist
03-18-2006, 11:45 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evan:
Yeah but, is it made from billet? </font>LMAO I think I would choose SS 316.

These qoutes from that site you posted, crack me up.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Classic dildo style with the performance only 6011 aluminum can offer</font>

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Our precision crafted, CNC machined dildos</font>

Wirecutter
03-18-2006, 01:14 PM
If it ever came to that, I'd ask her if she really needs another pair of shoes.

QSIMDO
03-18-2006, 02:24 PM
Yeah but, is it made from billet? </font>

If you're referring to the sewing machine I've determined it's made from a magical substance that has rebalanced her hormones, cooled off the hot flashes, calmed the raving she-devil and restored domestic tranquility!

Considering the results I'm happy to wait awhile before I buy a...."MIILING" machine. ;p

IOWOLF
03-18-2006, 02:29 PM
since I lurk mostly, someone explain to me how to post photos and I will put'em up. Some of you guys are going to be really jealous!!, and I ain't finished buying stuff yet. And I don't know how to use most of this stuff. It's gonna be FUN!!!</font>

Now you sound like Adrian.Sorry I posted.

------------------
The tame Wolf !

Carl
03-18-2006, 02:40 PM
My lathe earned it's keep immediately. First job that came up was turning a plastic plug to repair a broken wedding cake stand (wife's a decorator). Very timely coincidence I thought. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v35/lathefan/1cb17d67.gif

Tinkerer
03-18-2006, 02:48 PM
Dan you posed your question in a murky way.

Here's a few.
Built me some dies for a bender... made her a fancy plant stand.
Knob broke on baseboard heater... I made a new billet knob.
Just the other day she hands me a broken mop handle and said you can fix this. Cause I can't see spending $20 bucks to replace a perfectly good mop on account of a busted latch wire. Made a wire form die and bent replacement up in less time then it would of took to go to the store.
As others have said the tools have paid for themselves... thing will break that can be fixed instead of replaced.

For the record my wife bid on my last lathe... she played nickel and dime with this bidder all week 6:30 am he bounced her bid. She waited till 1 minute before auction ended at 7:00 am and bid up but twice the minimum plus $1.50 based on his pattern thru the week figuring he was on his way to work when it ended and won... she was thrilled and I've been happy with it. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Wayne02
03-18-2006, 03:11 PM

Wayne02
03-18-2006, 03:15 PM
Some of his products are made from billet... "All of our sex machines include a billet aluminum vac-u-lock adapter."

Thanks for that link. My wife was just asking me when I was going to build her a bird house. I sent her that link and asked if there may be something else she might like better...

I'm thinking this could be beneficial for all parties concerned... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

Wayne

Evan
03-18-2006, 03:20 PM
"vac-u-lock adapter"

???? Not sure I want to know...

torker
03-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Did anyone mention the one I told my wife?
If she puts a "machine tools for sale" ad in the paper she'll have more than enough money to bury me in a very short time http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
Of course I'd prefer to be dead before she did that http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
Russ

IOWOLF
03-18-2006, 06:35 PM
SOOOoooooo machining makes you gay or something?
I like machining,but I like ***** better.

------------------
The tame Wolf !

debequem
03-18-2006, 07:04 PM
Wrong answer.

These tools and more make harmony and well being of the soul.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DanR:
My wife asked me why I NEEDED a mill and lathe... specifically what would I use if for.

My response was "When I have more time, I can make all sorts of things."

That wasn't good enough. She asked, " Well what kinds of things?"

I was in shock. Well, "Stuff". I said. I can make.... [and in my mind I thought of all sorts of tools for the machines that I could make], but I didn't come up with anything beside "Candlesticks".

She wasnt' impressed. (I didn't tell her they couldn't have many curves because I didn't have a CNC version.)

Now, I am absolutely convinced that there must be dozens of things for around the house that I could make, but I can't really name any and hoped I could get some better ideas to impress my wife with the NEXT TIME (and I have to believe there will be a next time) she asks that question.

Can anybody help?

[This message has been edited by DanR (edited 03-18-2006).]</font>

Errol Groff
03-18-2006, 07:27 PM
Interesting time for this thread to come along. I just got off the phone from talking to my son about lending a hand to move the S.B. Heavy 10 I just bought. Probably next weekend for that job. And I am awating a call back from a fellow who has a Clausing 8520 mill that I want to look at. Life is good.

------------------
Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology
H.H. Ellis Technical High School
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model engineering Society
www.neme-s.org

TECHSHOP
03-18-2006, 07:50 PM
I need to stop collecting tools and make something soon. SWMBO has that "just how does THAT feed the baby" look in her eyes again http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//rolleyes.gif

------------------
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

speedsport
03-18-2006, 07:55 PM
what does SWMBO stand for?

Scatterplot
03-18-2006, 07:58 PM
Ha, I had to look it up too. All these married guys http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Stands for She who Must Be Obeyed

torker
03-18-2006, 08:22 PM
what does SWMBO stand for?</font>
Oh crap!
I've had it all screwed up. I thought it was supposed to mean "She Who Must Bring Coffee and Sandwiches To the Shop"!
Hmmm...yup, I like mine better http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
Think I'll keep using the same..

irontoart
03-18-2006, 08:23 PM
I make sure every once in a while something comes out of the shop for her. If you want to make even more brownie pints make something for the inlaws.
Of course most of what I make is welded and mangled iron. The lathe just helps me make tools to make other stuff. I can't think of too many things that the lathe has made that are for the house directly.

DancingBear
03-18-2006, 10:03 PM
My wife is pretty tolerant of my hobbies, but to help sustain that tolerance I try to make things for her on occasion. There's nothing quite like giving her handmade items you couldn't have bought.

I've made nice knurled brass finger nuts to replace nasty stamped-steel wingnuts on my wife's embroidery stand. I've made brass stilletos (needle in a handle) for the wife, mother-in-law and sister-in-law (big brownie points) http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

I made the legs for my wife's new sewing table. I made a display stand for my brother to display an old aircraft propeller. I've made parts for the lawnmower, the car, my brother's motorcycles, parts for friends' cars (which brings in cash money!)

I've made custom tools to service guns that would have cost $30 to buy. I've made custom punches. I've fixed broken tools instead of buying new ones. I've made tons of spacers for various applications.

I originally got my machines to support my radio-controlled car hobby, and I've made parts for that. In truth though, the machining has pushed the r/c cars aside.

It probably helps that my wife has a bunch of hobbies too, some pretty gear-intensive, so we cut each other some slack. At the same time, we consult one another before we blow big chunks of cash, and we keep our indulgences limited in other ways. For example, we don't have a big TV, a 'home theater', new cars, golf clubs, RV's, etc.

The machines may not 'pay for themselves', but for me that isn't the point. My wife's quilts don't 'pay for themselves' either, but they sure are pretty! You have to accept that any pastime costs money. At least with tools, you have something of value, which moreover can add value to other things. As pastimes go, that's pretty good! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Walt

rsr911
03-18-2006, 10:35 PM
In my home I make the majority of the money by a large margin, I also pay all the bills and manage all the finances. The money she earns goes solely for stuff she wants. Today I went to look at a shaper (which I didn't buy) before I left she mentioned that I had told her we were short on money this month (taxes) my reply? "Yes honey WE are short on money, I am not." She had that defeated look in her eye as I left the house. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Seriously our second or third date was taking her to watch me race my old drag car, I told her early on I wasn't EVER going to give up my hobbies for a larger home or larger family etc. I save a certain amount for retirement, college funds and general savings each month, then I put a certain amount into the family checking account the rest is for me to spend as I wish. Although I've given up drag racing I'm now into sports cars, computers and machining. My wife's only compliant is that I have my shop set up at my work, I get the use of their space and 3-phase power and they get the use of my skills with the tools. She wants a bigger house with a workshop out back, I'm not complaining... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

The upside is that the machine tools kept us afloat for several months while she was out of work and before I got my latest promotion at work, I was able to make up more than the lost income selling little widgets to car guys. I still make those widgets but now about 80% of that money goes back into the hobby, the other 20% is going into special savings in case we find a home we like.

------------------
-Christian D. Sokolowski

HTRN
03-19-2006, 02:04 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scatterplot:
Ha, I had to look it up too. All these married guys http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Stands for She who Must Be Obeyed</font>

Only when in earshot, then her name becomes PITA. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

HTRN

J Tiers
03-19-2006, 01:43 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HTRN:
Only when in earshot, then her name becomes PITA. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
</font>

Eh, mine is a sweetie-pie.... she looks in the paper for stuff and calls me at work with the ads.

Of course, her Dad is a retired mechanic, and has a bigger shop with more stuff than mine. She refurbished an old Willys with him when she was 10 or so.

It pays to be nice.....

No I am NOT complaining, ever.

madman
03-19-2006, 09:15 PM
Mine just complains cause were always broke. My shop can snap up 5 or 6 thousand dollars at any time for new stuff. A mig welder a air compressor new lighting and wiring in new addition the price of the new adition (mind you she was happy i sold my argo she said the only time i ever drove it down here was with my friends three in the morning stinkin drunk. Well she was right it sold and i bought her a used cadillac and i got a small shop addition thats nice.

DanR
03-20-2006, 12:33 AM
Thanks guys. It was fun, but this thread has gotten so far from the question I think it is time to shoot it! How do you kill a thread, anyway?

IOWOLF
03-20-2006, 04:09 AM
You know, you got broke in easy, at least we didn't talk politics on THIS thread.

The topic didn't get that far off anyway.

------------------
The tame Wolf !

Millman
03-20-2006, 06:19 AM
This thread went pretty smooth; as compared to something going haywire last weekend! Wonder what I missed? LOL

------------------
BFH

Kansas_Farmer
03-20-2006, 12:53 PM
Well, I've discovered my first real project for my lathe when I get the darn thing up and runnin.

My '48 8N Ford wont' run worth a darn. I pulled the carb and cleaned it. It wasn't in too bad a shape really except for the throttle shaft at 0.247" and the throttle shaft bushing at 0.276". Houston, I think we have a problem. She's suckin enough air through that hole that the carb doesn't know about it prevents it from runnin. I'm gonna try to get the old bushing out, find some bronze and make me a new one.

Evan
03-20-2006, 03:35 PM
Just put a few wraps of twine around the throttle shaft and slather it with wheel bearing grease.

3 Phase Lightbulb
03-20-2006, 04:37 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IOWOLF:
Who wears the pants in your house,who pays the bills,If you don't go into debt to buy one just do it.</font>

I misspoke,I don't need permission to buy any thing in the shop, In fact She bought me the SB7" Shaper.</font>

You must wear adult diapers.

IOWOLF
03-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Oh ,I forgot to send them to you for dinner.

------------------
The tame Wolf !

3 Phase Lightbulb
03-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Oh ,I forgot to send them to you for dinner.

</font>

You better go ask your wife first because she's not going to be very happy paying the postage.

Kansas_Farmer
03-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Just put a few wraps of twine around the throttle shaft and slather it with wheel bearing grease. </font>

Actually, that's basically how it's settin now...

But, if I left it that way, why would I need my lathe? What else would I do with it?? I've cobbeled most things together in the past, I'd rather fix em right from now on...

IOWOLF
03-20-2006, 05:51 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb:
You better go ask your wife first because she's not going to be very happy paying the postage. </font>

She says, you should shut your punk ass up and eat your own ****.

It sure was nice you being gone for a month.

------------------
The tame Wolf !

The Moderator
03-20-2006, 05:59 PM
Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

IOWOLF
03-20-2006, 06:02 PM
Who asked you?

------------------
The tame Wolf !

3 Phase Lightbulb
03-20-2006, 06:15 PM
She says, you should shut your punk ass up and eat your own ****.
</font>

Are you sure that's what she said? That's not very lady like. What sex is "she"?

DanR
03-21-2006, 01:02 AM
Hmm. Strange way to stop a thread, but I bet it will work all right! Thanks to all who contributed to the effort.

IOWOLF
03-21-2006, 04:02 AM
DanR,Now you see what I mean at the top of this thread.

------------------
The tame Wolf !

speedsport
03-21-2006, 07:00 AM
am I missing something here between Wolfie and Adrian?

Milacron of PM
03-21-2006, 10:21 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">am I missing something here between Wolfie and Adrian? </font>Sad situation...best of buds until Adrian went off to college and got too much 'book learnin'....now all they do is bicker.

I fear a duel will be necessary to settle this. Gentlemen, your weapons ?

IOWOLF
03-21-2006, 01:47 PM
I'll take My Ugly Stick at 100 yards. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

------------------
The tame Wolf !

3 Phase Lightbulb
03-21-2006, 02:19 PM
I'll take My Ugly Stick at 100 yards. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

</font>

With your aim, I could stick my finger in the barrel and you would still miss me.

http://www.bbssystem.com/iowolf.jpg

IOWOLF
03-21-2006, 04:06 PM
Just what the fu*k do you know about it?
Nothing.

But any time you want to try, I am right here, just a hint, get a one way plane ticket.
Dont want to waste the widows money do we.

That sure was a nice month when you were gone.

3 Phase Lightbulb
03-21-2006, 08:04 PM
Just what the fu*k do you know about it?
Nothing.</font>

You're absolutely right. I was assuming it would fire. My bad.

Hey, I have an idea.. How about we alternate? I was gone for a month, now it's your turn.

IOWOLF
03-22-2006, 04:14 AM
Nice lame comeback.

I was here first,you can go to .....your own site.
You come here, stir up trouble, and then go make your own site and still come back here and couse trouble,You need to grow up

------------------
The tame Wolf !