X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Schutzhund
    • Apr 2005

Tool it up! : Mill

Challenge: To virtually tool up this milling machine taking into consideration the limited budget of the average home shop user.

Objective: To virually "purchase" tooling that fits this particular machine. Making this machine as versatile as possible. The tooling should provide the most "bang for the buck". As is the case in most real life situations, the tooling will have to be a compromise between quality and price.

Those who wish to participate must supply a direct link to the tooling they wish to add to the machine. You may also wish to describe the versatality of the tooling you add. IE. the operations that can be done with the addition of your tooling.

This should be a FUN excersise. Political opinions about purchasing Asian tools should be posted elsewhere. Theres plenty of THOSE threads out there. So lets keep it fun!

Here is the machine we will be outfitting:

Here are the specifications:

Specifications:

* Spindle taper: R-8
    * Spindle travel: 3"
    * Max. distance spindle to table: 12-1/4"
    * T-Slots (3): 3/8"
    * Table size: 6-1/8" x 26"
    * Max. longitudinal travel: 15-5/8"
    * Max. cross travel: 6"
    * Max. drilling capacity for cast iron: 1"
    * Max. drilling capacity for steel: 3/4"
    * Head tilt: 45آ° R & L
    * Ram swiveling angle: 360آ°
    * Number of speeds: 9
    * Range of speeds: 240-2760 RPM
    * Motor size: 1-1/2 H.P.
    * Packing size with stand: 40-15/16" x 34-1/4" x 76-3/4"
    * Approx. shipping weight: 980 lbs.

• 3 Phase Lightbulb

First thing I would buy as I did for my milling machine is a 25pc R8 colet set from Enco. ~$87 right now:

25pc Enco R8 collet set

Second thing I would buy as I did for my milling machine is a 20pc TiN coated endmill set for ~$45 right now:

20pc TiN coated endmill set (3/16 to 3/4)

With the collets, you can also use drill bits so you don't need to bother with a drill chuck and the endmills you can do plenty of milling so just a set of collets and a set of endmills along with a decent set of drill bits that fit the collets will give you lots of milling ability.

Next, get yourself some tramming tools.

-Adrian

Comment

• larry_g
      • Dec 2004

Do not use drill bits in R8 collets unless they are the same size as the collet. A 1/2" drill bit will fit a 1/2" collet but a 15/32" will not and if you try it you can ruin the collet.. I know this. If your going to do away with the drill chuck then go with an ER style collet adapter.

lg
      no neat sig line
      near Salem OR

Comment

• BobWarfield
        • Nov 2005

Haven't tooled my IH Mill yet,but plan to start with the Tormach Tooling System:

Has a lot of the basic stuff in a format that'll be great for my CNC future.

Best,

BW
        ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
        Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
        http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

Working...
        X