PDA

View Full Version : OT - Psst....Got Time To Go To An Auction?

Too_Many_Tools
03-21-2006, 10:12 PM
Maybe they gave him a lathe or something.

I wonder if a buyer's premium will be charged?

TMT

Ex-Congressman's Loot to Be Auctioned By MICHAEL R. BLOOD, Associated Press Writer
Tue Mar 21

Silver-plated candelabras. A cedar-lined lingerie cabinet. Persian rugs. An oak hutch carved with lions' heads, tree limbs and acorns.

The spoils from former Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham's bribery scheme — a household of valuable antiques, rugs and home furnishings — will be auctioned off by the government Thursday to help cover the back taxes and restitution he owes.

The public was given a preview Tuesday of the loot, which was laid out in orderly rows in a warehouse near Los Angeles.

Cunningham, who was sentenced earlier this month to more than eight years in prison for taking $2.4 million in bribes, received the items from defense contractors in exchange for helping them win government contracts.

"Lavish," said Jim Sudomir, a retiree from Fallbrook, summing up Cunningham's lifestyle as he looked over the display. "If he was going to be a crook he should have been a smarter one. He thought he was above all that. ... Look where he's at now. He's in jail."

The inventory reveals that the contractors spared little expense to appease Cunningham's collector's tastes.

There is a leather sofa. A solid cherry sleigh bed. Nearly a dozen rugs. Marble-topped nightstands, armoires and sideboards, many featuring stained glass, brass fittings and intricate carvings.

"There's a real mix of different styles — Art Deco, French provincial, American pioneer," said Britney Sheehan, who works for the company that will auction the goods.

Sheehan said she could not disclose how much the items are expected to fetch, since officials do not want to influence potential bidders. Some of the rugs have previously been valued at as much as $40,000.

Anyone but Cunningham can bid.

Cunningham's prison term was described by attorneys for both sides as the longest prison sentence ever given to a member of Congress. The scale of the corruption scheme is unmatched in the annals of Congress.

The former congressman was ordered to pay $1.8 million in back taxes and forfeit an additional $1.85 million for cash bribes received, plus the proceeds from the sale of his mansion in Rancho Santa Fe, one of America's wealthiest communities. The furnishings came from the home.

Cunningham sold a Rolls-Royce — one of the bribes — before he was indicted. He also transferred ownership of a yacht, another illegal gift from contractors.

IOWOLF
03-22-2006, 03:23 AM
yea but does he still get his congressmans pention, it is the same as he was makeing when he was a congressman,they dont get Soc.secutity.

------------------
The tame Wolf !

speedsport
03-22-2006, 05:54 AM
I believe that his military pension will be stopped while he's in the joint. When it rains it pours.

Evan
03-22-2006, 10:04 AM
"The scale of the corruption scheme is unmatched in the annals of Congress."

Yeah sure. One down and several hundred to go. It only cost Disney about 6 million to buy an extension to the copyright act.

A while back the chairman of the FCC recieved instructions from the office of senator Fritz "hollywood" Hollings to actively enforce a little known section of the regulations that would have the effect of restricting internet radio. The FCC chairman probably wasn't too happy with that as he was a very independent type. The memo somehow leaked out, it was an e-mail with an attached Word document.

It so happens that a Word document has hidden creator information that is easy to view. The document, although sent from Hollings' office wasn't written by his staff, it was written by a secretary in the offices of the Recording Industry Asscociation of America (RIAA). In other words, he (Hollings) was just doing what they paid him to do, being a good little sock puppet.

Ries
03-22-2006, 10:28 AM
As far as I know, the only politician in recent history who was given a lathe, or even wanted one for that matter, was Jimmy Carter.
When he left the white house, his aides got together and bought him a complete Delta woodworking shop- remember, in 1980, Delta tools were still halfway decent- and Jimmy got a new tablesaw, jointer, drill press, bandsaw, and wood lathe.

I know a lot of people dont like old Jimmy, but I always thought just a bit better of him, knowing he could actually make stuff with his hands.
I doubt Clinton or Bush can change oil, fix a wall socket, or use a hacksaw.
In fact, I doubt either of em carries a wallet or even knows what money is-
And I just dont trust people who dont know how things work.

Evan
03-22-2006, 10:57 AM
Carter is a nuclear engineer.

sch
03-22-2006, 12:18 PM
He is also a pretty decent poet.
Steve

Evan
03-22-2006, 12:21 PM
He is also a crummy liar.

Sounds like an engineer to me. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

DancingBear
03-22-2006, 07:52 PM
Carter is also heavily involved with Habitat for Humanity. He actually goes to jobsites and works to build houses for the poor.

Most ex-presidents hit the lecture tour and rake in millions of bucks.

Quite a contrast.

wierdscience
03-22-2006, 08:49 PM
Carter is a decent person,he was just a lousy president.He and Jesse Jackson are in the same book so far as the're politics.

Too_Many_Tools
03-22-2006, 10:52 PM
I too have considered Carter to be an underappreciated President.

Would you mind quickly listing what you consider he did wrong?

Thanks

TMT

dicks42000
03-22-2006, 11:20 PM
Hey American friends;
Jimmy Carter may not appeal to all of you, but as said, he was one of your few "practical" presidents. Nuclear engineer, ex-USN I believe & protege/ collegue of yor Adm. Rickover (sp???) who may have been a scam artist, but was the (god)father of the Navy reactor program.
I admire his work for Habitat for Humanity, (I've done some plumbing for them...) and his furniture making hobby.
You need some other engineer-presidents or maybe a machinist-president....