PDA

View Full Version : Waaay OT...Ridiculous Sunday fun!

torker
03-19-2006, 01:21 PM
If you like rap "music" you may want to exit this thread...
I have a few younger people working for me and I always question this Rap thing.
They say I'm old fashioned and just don't get it.
Now I have them worried. I'm going to start up a Rap Orchestra (grin)with a couple guys from the last job I was on.
I tell them we are going to debute at their favourite watering hole on Karioke night. And of course my employees will be asked to join us...I mean after all, they started this! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
Here's my problem...I need a cool Rap name.
The crazy Newfie who is going to do the "spitting in his hands noise", well he's probably going to be called "Brother Dog Crap"
The plant foreman...he was picked as lead rapper because he can do that lobster claw thing with his hands AND sing at the same time. Me and the Newfie...we can only do one at a time.
The first name I picked was "Vanilla Toiletpaper", then I thought of "Vanilla Icehole"
The kids think I should be called "Master Dummass" http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
What do you guys think?
I can see some big things for our Rap Orchestra but we have to have everything right.
Any more ideas?
Ooops...breakfast is over...I better get back to work and more planning for the "Tour"
Russ (Master Toiletpaper?)

mochinist
03-19-2006, 01:35 PM
major woody

Fasttrack
03-19-2006, 02:29 PM
I like "Vanilla Icehole" hahaha
I want to hear how this turns out! I just don't get rap - so naturally i make fun of it! Just don't get a gun pulled on you http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

speedsport
03-19-2006, 02:37 PM
RAPPA CRAPPA

Alistair Hosie
03-19-2006, 02:46 PM
Sorry I dont get rap at all and the swearing and violent anti police messages I think they should be banned my 2 cents worthAlistair

Rustybolt
03-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Busta Hip

Carl
03-19-2006, 02:55 PM
Busta Cap In YO Vanilla Icehole

Group Name: Vanilla Booty Posse

03-19-2006, 02:56 PM
RAPPA CRAPPA

that is what I call it
I have upset a few little crappas

Your Old Dog
03-19-2006, 03:08 PM
I work in the big city everyday......

Hoe Maker

Chu hear what I'm sayin?

Fasttrack
03-19-2006, 03:10 PM
"Sorry I dont get rap at all and the swearing and violent anti police messages I think they should be banned my 2 cents worthAlistair "

I don't think it should be banned because i believe that the freedom we are granted is what makes America so wonderful (no offense to anyone - i dont mean to sound like i think America is better; just that that freedom is something i appreciate about our country) but its sad that people listen to it. It shouldn't have to be banned in my opinion. To me, whats ironic is that it supports anti-police anti-government messages but its the police and the government that protect their rights to express themselves. i dunno - sad time when people actually listen to alot of that stuff.

mochinist
03-19-2006, 03:18 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Alistair Hosie:
Sorry I dont get rap at all and the swearing and violent anti police messages I think they should be banned my 2 cents worthAlistair</font>

"I have always been among those who believed that the greatest freedom of speech was the greatest safety, because if a man is a fool the best thing to do is to encourage him to advertise the fact by speaking."
Woodrow WILSON
28th President of the United States

speedsport
03-19-2006, 04:00 PM
I like Alistair's "My 2 cents", kinda a take on "50 cents", an actual Rap crew. I don't why its call "Rap Music", ain't nothing musical about it.

tattoomike68
03-19-2006, 04:14 PM
It's not my song but lends itself to rap good.

You put yo bling-bling in
You take yo bling-bling out
you take yo ho by the throat
and shake the money out
You do some pokey-pokey
and you throw her dumb-a** out
Thats what its all about.

Tinkerer
03-19-2006, 04:37 PM
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Yo... yo... we B'z Chips-N-Chatter. We turn thing thin that uz ta be fatter. We let it fly like it don't matter. Ya... Ya... we B'z Chips-N-Chatter.... #1 in the hood y'all.

vinito
03-19-2006, 04:42 PM
M.C. MasterCarr

TECHSHOP
03-19-2006, 04:43 PM
torker(Master T-Pee):

Are you having RIC?

------------------
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

debequem
03-19-2006, 05:01 PM
Folk You!

wierdscience
03-19-2006, 07:18 PM
Snoop Dogdoo

2Whitey

Backhobanga

MC Migger

Pimp Billet P http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

torker
03-19-2006, 07:36 PM
LMAO! Some funny stuff here guys http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
Of course this is all a big joke for the kids sake! They just don't know it yet.
The guys at the plant are pretty funny about the whole thing too! They like "Rapp Crapp" about as much as I do!
BTW...the Newfie...he's hilarious. He knows all the good stuff.
Why he's even going to bitchslap his ho for our performances. (only thing...we can't use this just yet. He broke the damn handle while practicing http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif )

darryl
03-19-2006, 07:54 PM
EfYeAll, or Geeoua MaFace. How 'bout Hunh, or steal a name- how about Leonh Rapbownh -(sorry, Leon), or the Tragically Clipped (sorry again).
Could always call yourselves HOWA, for Honkies With Attitude. Or TUP, for Testicles Under Pressure. Or FUMOFO.
Ok, so I don't care for rap. Whatever.

kf1002002
03-19-2006, 08:26 PM
Yellow hole in the snow

Ken

madman
03-19-2006, 09:02 PM
The Festered Sores Catchy Name and no one will be trying to copy your successful bands name at any later time.

speedy
03-20-2006, 06:25 AM
" I PullmaHood 1 and 2 wit Mr Masta Baiter MC"
No offense intended to you Russ, I jus` luv that ****e http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif

Yoho bro, flush that rappa down the crappa

Ken

[This message has been edited by speedy (edited 03-20-2006).]

Millman
03-20-2006, 06:34 AM
Truthfully guys, How could anyone in their right mind include Rap and Music in the same sentence?....Steady jungle backbeat rythms for 3.5 minutes.

------------------
BFH

torker
03-20-2006, 07:04 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Millman:
Truthfully guys, How could anyone in their right mind include Rap and Music in the same sentence?....Steady jungle backbeat rythms for 3.5 minutes.

</font>
My point exactly!
Well you may have been able to call the first one "something" like music but the rest of them are all the same....no?

torker
03-20-2006, 07:34 AM
Hey, wait!
Shouldn't "Master Baiter" be the Newfies name http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Ian B
03-20-2006, 07:53 AM
Pity these so-called musicians can't spell either; whenever they write "rap", they always miss the first letter (C )...

Ian

Rooter
03-20-2006, 10:11 AM
Ditto on the "C-RAP", but since it's an orchestra, why not "BRASSA CRAPPA".

Forrest Addy
03-20-2006, 01:44 PM
One of my pet peeves is then the guys with their thundermobiles play them lound enough to be heard a mile (measured) away.

That said. I happened to have my Samuel Remey CD hand when a buch of them were gathers in the Safeway parking lot. I approached and ask if one of them would play a selection. They were basically nice fellows with no conception of courtesy regarding when and where to play loud music.

Sure and one plopped the CD in his tray and asked me how I wanted the comp set. I sad flat. and then over the lot came the tremendous voice of Samual Ramey. His verile renderings of plain old opera arias made the rap stars I've heard sound like pouty children posturing to impress their peers. Even the parking lot loiterers were impressed.

Wirecutter
03-21-2006, 05:01 AM
I'm for Busta Hip, the Geriatra' Rappa.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

psomero
03-21-2006, 07:05 AM

</font>

as somone who played the piano from age five and the bass for the past decade, i think i'm pretty qualified to say that there is some rap music out there (emphasis on music). the vast majority of the payola garbage you hear on mtv and clear channel-owned radio stations today is utter garbage, but there are some producers around here who do stuff with real instruments and do it damn well, though.

Millman
03-21-2006, 08:25 AM
Don't really believe that do you?? Name me a "Classic" crap song that will ever BE a Classic? The only thing , in 50 years that will be remembered about that crap; will be which Black dude shot which Black dude and all the White boys trying to be Black.!! I've been playing 50 years and know which are the "Classics". So, take that!

------------------
BFH

Evan
03-21-2006, 08:47 AM
Over Torker Da Nutz

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 03-21-2006).]

Millman
03-21-2006, 08:49 AM
That one don't sound familiar. What key is that in? HA!

------------------
BFH

liftedzj
03-21-2006, 11:16 AM
As someone who has worked in the music industry for a lot of years, I have heard lots and lots of variety and I have to partly disagree with some of this. Sure, there is crap rap out there. But turn on any top 40 pop or modern rock station and you will find just as much crap. Now maybe you don't like rap. That's fine. I don't like Celine Dion. But that's an opinion. Some of the talent in the rap industry far and away exceeds a bunch of the non talent that is popular in other genres.

You ask about classic rap songs. I'm sure I could write a page starting with Run-DMC and Herbie Hancock to Ice-T and Public Enemy to Eminem and 50 cent that todays youth will consider "classic" when they get to be 50. Think back to what you where listening too when your parents had this discussion with their friends.

As far as the theme of the music, rap can not be singled out. There are just as many rock, metal, and hip hop bands out there conveying the same messages in different fashions. To these artists, they are expressing a message that they can relate to in a fashion that there audience can relate to.

I have worked in studios and out on the road and have been subjected to all sorts of music, but the one thing that I cannot deny or argue is that although I may not always like what someone is playing, a fair percentage of the time they have put thought and effort into expressing themselves in a manor which they and others can relate too.

And afterall, isn't that what everyone does in whatever they do. I go into the shop and spend hours machining and cutting and welding and building something because that's what I want to do. That's how I wish to express myself. I then often subject others to it because I think it's neat. Alot of this happens on this site with all of us. Unfortunately most of us will never receive the fame and fortune that we would have, had we recorded a top selling album or made a top selling movie.

As far as the original post goes, I think thats all great because it's all in fun. You can make fun of them and they probably make fun of you. Good luck and have fun. I wish I could come up and watch. I get a kick out of these shows.

psomero
03-21-2006, 11:29 AM
Don't really believe that do you?? Name me a "Classic" crap song that will ever BE a Classic? The only thing , in 50 years that will be remembered about that crap; will be which Black dude shot which Black dude and all the White boys trying to be Black.!! I've been playing 50 years and know which are the "Classics". So, take that!

</font>

i don't expect you to know a single track or artist. it's a highly regional genre. people have sold tens or even hundreds of thousands of albums out of their living room and the trunk of their car.

the rap game has been an opportunity for many people to switch what they're dealing from drugs to tapes and CDs. personally, i'd much rather see people in the east bay spending their money on mac dre and E40 cds rather than crack and ammo for their glocks. there's a bunch of guys who have made a TON of money in the rap game and have put it all back into their communities.

torker
03-21-2006, 01:30 PM
"White boys trying to be black"
Frankly...up here they're becoming known as "Wiggers"
I really didn't care until I was taken on a "Rap Tour" of the internet by a couple of young kids I know.
The first place they went was to their hero "50 cents" or whatever his name is.
They are in awe of this guy and totally convinced that he has killed over 200 cops.
They now think it is a cool thing to kill police and that 50 cent is a hero for doing so.
We are very isolated from the real thing up here but the internet narrows that somewhat.
These are 9 year old kids.
I have a tough time with this...when I was a kid, Dan'l Boone and John Wayne where still protecting us from the Injuns.
I mostly make fun of the Rap thing because I hear dozens of cars go by everyday with the big boom boxes blasting. It all sounds the same to me and I can't understand one thing they say.
Pure vocal power...I'd take Celine over a 50 cent piece anyday.

Tinkerer
03-21-2006, 03:07 PM
Ha ha remember when Elvis was the agent of Satin. Now he's The King.

Life's full of different folks running on different strokes. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

Millman
03-21-2006, 03:28 PM
Yeah, but what some people call music is just WRONG. Same jungle digital beat from start to finish. A poem, Digitized bass and drums, synthesizer melody a 3 yr. old could play. Not even CLOSE to music!

------------------
BFH

psomero
03-21-2006, 04:10 PM
fifty cent is nothing more than an example of why payola is awful and still does exist. his lyrics are always about how much of a "tough" guy he is and he likes to call out other rappers and make threats of violence and nonsense like that, but all he's ever done on the street is get turned into swiss cheese by someone who didn't like his big mouth and get picked up by the cops for being a lousy drug dealer.

one of these alleged "beefs" he started was with a member of his group and it coincidentally occurred less than a week before this guy's debut solo album was to be released. mysteriously, they kissed and made up no more than a week after vowing to kill each other on national tv and radio and basking in the attention the whole skit provided.

aftermath wants the world to believe that he's the big thing right now, but that's simply not the case. he may get tons of play on the radio, but payola doesn't work for movie ticket sales and the movie he was in tanked, as well as his video game. clearly too much marketing department and not enough talent.

edit:

liftedzj hit the nail on the head.

different people have different tastes. someone had to take the time to create it, and unfortunately, sometimes people don't take enough time and the end product is garbage. that's not exclusive to rap music. turn on mtv in the middle of the night (the only time they play music any more last time i checked) and watch for five minutes. it's all utter garbage. payola is still propping up the top 40 charts.

one guy who hasn't been propped up by payola and still managed to get on the billboard charts is a rapper, though. he started out in about 1989 recording songs with his brother, sister and cousin. in the next few years, they distributed somewhere around half a million albums by selling them out of the trunk of his car and delivering them to record shops on their own. he signed up with a major labol to co-distribute his label (he had a handful of artists on his own label at that point) and his first album with them was on the billboard top 20 the day it hit the stores. note that there had been absolutely zero commercial promotion of him or his album and there were no record executives to write payola checks for him.

[This message has been edited by psomero (edited 03-21-2006).]

speedy
03-21-2006, 06:17 PM
Don't really believe that do you?? Name me a "Classic" crap song that will ever BE a Classic? </font>

Rage against the machine--"killing in the name of"
Now that gets me stirred, it is the song I play when I have had a gutsfull of interferring bastards in this world.
http://www.ratm.net/lyrics/kil.html
Yesssss, music certainly sets the mood.
IMO rap will evolve as punk did and arrive at a point that is acceptable to most. Some of it appeals to me but not much. It appears that a large amount of good music never hits the airwaves anyhow.

Ken

TECHSHOP
03-21-2006, 08:08 PM
RIC = Racial Identity Crisis

If I had played "today's" Rap as a young man in the Army, I think I would have been killed in my sleep by the "brothers". But times change, the young ones today don't see anything "wrong". Maybe I got old, set in my ways, and a bit jaded http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//rolleyes.gif

------------------
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

mochinist
03-21-2006, 08:24 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by speedy:
Rage against the machine--"killing in the name of"
Now that gets me stirred, it is the song I play when I have had a gutsfull of interferring bastards in this world.
http://www.ratm.net/lyrics/kil.html
Yesssss, music certainly sets the mood.
IMO rap will evolve as punk did and arrive at a point that is acceptable to most. Some of it appeals to me but not much. It appears that a large amount of good music never hits the airwaves anyhow.

Ken

</font>

That is a kick ass song and is part of a great album, but it is not rap, maybe you could classify it as rock/rap.

Millman I see is making the usual ass of himself. I don't know who made him the official decider of what is considered classic, but I am guessing he appointed himself, good thing none of us listen to him.

As far as rappers talking about cop killing, all I can say is whatever. That is such a myth, have some rappers talked about it...yes. Do 99 percent of the rappers talk about it...no. Ice-T did it back in the early 90's, and got Al Gore's panties all up in a bunch, and it was great for his album sales. Now whenever anybody old(sorry) talks about rap, they think all rappers are cop killing glorifying sons o bitches.

wierdscience
03-21-2006, 09:58 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by torker:
"White boys trying to be black"
Frankly...up here they're becoming known as "Wiggers"
I really didn't care until I was taken on a "Rap Tour" of the internet by a couple of young kids I know.
The first place they went was to their hero "50 cents" or whatever his name is.
They are in awe of this guy and totally convinced that he has killed over 200 cops.
They now think it is a cool thing to kill police and that 50 cent is a hero for doing so.
We are very isolated from the real thing up here but the internet narrows that somewhat.
These are 9 year old kids.
I have a tough time with this...when I was a kid, Dan'l Boone and John Wayne where still protecting us from the Injuns.
I mostly make fun of the Rap thing because I hear dozens of cars go by everyday with the big boom boxes blasting. It all sounds the same to me and I can't understand one thing they say.
Pure vocal power...I'd take Celine over a 50 cent piece anyday.</font>

Hahaha...Russ here the term"wigger" is old school http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

I like Offspring's take on it myself.
He needs some cool tunes
Not just any will suffice.
But they didn't have Ice Cube
So he bought Vanilla Ice.
Now cruising in his Pinto, he sees homies as he pass.
But if he looks twice
They're gonna kick his lily ass.

Me I like dare I say it classic rock,Zepplin,Ozzy,Kansas,BOC oh and the only good British import The Who,but it to me is just "Fun music".

I still prefer the old stuff.

Beethoven's Moonlight is IMHO the most perfect song ever written by the hand of man.

speedy
03-21-2006, 11:13 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mochinist:
[B] That is a kick ass song and is part of a great album, but it is not rap, maybe you could classify it as rock/rap.</font>

Yes, you`re right there Mochinist, my mistake.
A bit off the topic I suppose but the funny thing is the older I get the more I am prepared to listen to any music that does it for me from any music genre.
eg I wouldn`t have given tuppence for the Sex Pistols in their day but now? I think they are goood! especially their version of "God Save the Queen" and "I did it my way"..totally irreverent http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Ken

[This message has been edited by speedy (edited 03-21-2006).]

psomero
03-22-2006, 12:19 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mochinist:
Ice-T did it back in the early 90's, and got Al Gore's panties all up in a bunch, and it was great for his album sales. Now whenever anybody old(sorry) talks about rap, they think all rappers are cop killing glorifying sons o bitches.</font>

do note that Ice-T's cop killing song was with his band body count. yes, it was a metal band, as in rock and roll music.

torker
03-22-2006, 01:14 AM
Hey...this was all a spoof for laughs if I remember right.
Mochinist is right...I'm gettin old but I like lots of different kinds of music.
In my shop is a CD player and CD's from Shania Twain, Carrie Underwood, ZZTop, CCW, Ol' Buddy Holley stuff, Lester Flatts and Earl Scruggs, etc etc. I listen to ZZ and Shania the most but I like lots of different stuff. Stevie Ray Vaughn, some of Aaron Nevilles stuff...there's a lot of really good music out there.
The last shop I worked in had two ends. The cut line end and the fab/machining end.
The fab end was guys from 30 to 60 years old. We all listened to older rock, country etc.
The odd time I'd have to put in long shifts in the assembly area out by the cutline. These were the young guys and I had to listen to rap(as loud as it would go) for 12 hours at a crack. I really grew to dislike it and never really could tell one song from the other.
The other experience I had with it...my daughter asked my brother for a 2Live Crew tape for Christmas some years ago.
We'd never even heard of them before.
We listened to this new rap stuff.
The first song started out...
Face down, ass up that's the way we like to----!
Ummm, that's not really what we had in mind for our 10 year old kid to listen to.
Anyway, I banned it from the house and my kids both seemed to survive without it.
They still don't listen to it.
But I don't care...listen to what you want http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
And I don't just mock rap...geezuz, some of the country music now is crap. Some years back...Stompin Tom Conners provided me with hours of entertainment. The boot stomp on the plywood...I got tons of mileage from that.
Anyway...back to my rap deal.
We decided that because the Crazy Newfie is from a fishing village that his name should be "Master Baiter"
I've been practicing my "lobster claw" hand sign thing. I can't get it right...I keep making the telephone claw thing instead. Ah...more practice!
I'm not doing too good with the ho thing either.
Practicing is tough. Go to bichslap the ho...got a couple of really ugly slivers from it. Once it bounced back and knocked my teeth out through the flap in my underwear.
Then I was walking around with my baggy ass pants....the ho handle got stuck in my pant leg and I fell down and sprained my lobster claw fingers (the ones needed to do a proper lobster claw sign) and my Aunt Jamima hat rag thing fell in the mud.
I may have to scrap the bichslapin the ho thing from the act.
And if you think I'm serious...do I have a deal for you http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

john clements
03-22-2006, 04:41 AM
Don't knock it - the booty-shaking videos are great. I watch them with the sound off.

John C

psomero
03-22-2006, 11:26 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by torker:
ZZTop</font>

for the win.

i saw zz top last time they were in town. steve wozniak was sitting directly in front of him in his VIP box. he rolled up to his seat on a segway scooter thing.

the other three sides of us were filled up by hell's angels. young guys with walking canes, but they didn't have any walking problems. hmm, i wonder what those were for...

Wayne02
03-22-2006, 11:41 PM
All I know is Faith Hill is one beautiful women... reportedly she sings as well. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

barts
03-23-2006, 12:35 AM
Now here's a good rap video:

http://planetvids.com/html/The-Chronicles-Of-Narnia-Rap.html

I especially like the

"Dropping more Hamilton's than Arron Burr"

line.

- Bart