PDA

View Full Version : Engine show in Republic, Mo. ?

Ozarks Hermit
09-24-2001, 10:33 AM
I remember hearing about an engine show in Republic, Mo. held in October. I now live in Shell Knob, Mo. which is less than an hours drive to Republic, and would like to check it out.
Anyone been to it? any info appreciated

Ken

George Hodge
11-08-2001, 10:44 PM
Ken,we missed it this year. It's usually about the 14th.of September. Well worth going to! lots of old engines,steam&gas. lots of old farm equipment too. Gonna be there next year!! George

halfnut
11-08-2001, 11:41 PM
Hermit,

It's a rather large one, and they have some permanet displays Ifin I'm remembering right. Had a couple of rather large stationary engines on display on grounds. If you are in Republic you might check this out. I'm working from memory here, forgive me if I am wrong.

I have been meaning to get over there for the last several years, missed it again this year. Was over there once, built a tricky 10hp Kohler motor for Wheel Horse, went along for the pull. Got to see quite a bit that night, even in the dark.

Even missed Fort Scott this year, I almost always make it over there.

PS the Republic bunch has their own web site. I need to get towards work now, it is somewhere in my 300+ bookmarks, I'll find it and post it.

halfnut
11-08-2001, 11:45 PM
George,

You any relation to Ferrell Hodge north of Carthage.

H. Sprenkle

Ozarks Hermit
11-09-2001, 09:37 AM
Thanks guys. I found out too late when the show was held (a day late and a dollar short - story of my life). I will mark my calendar for the aprox date next year. It is not quite the kind of show I'm interested in, but should be interesting anyway. I'm into small stuff.

Ken

George Hodge
11-10-2001, 08:06 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by halfnut:
George,

Halfnut,I've met him and talked with him,but decided since he hasn't made his first million yet either,we aren't any kin.
Seems like I met you at the Grizzly store a while back,you were pondering getting a new lathe? George

H. Sprenkle</font>

halfnut
11-11-2001, 05:46 AM
George,

Ferrells's son worked where I do, was talking to him and asked his name, asked if he was related to Ferrell, he finally admitted that he was. You aren't his dad are you? I heard that him and his father had some problems. I hate it when family have problems like this. Bad deal for both parties, patching things up are so hard some times.

My father and I don't get along well on building projects, I'm a machinist and am a bit picky, he's a very good chainsaw carpenter. So it's best if we both keep mouths shut sometimes, we get along fine that way, love the old feller.

Wasn't me at Grizzly, have a sister that lives over in Springfield, need to go see her and stop by Grizzly's store. Meant to go over for their Tent Sale this year, slipped right by.

Glad that there is someone else here from my area, I live in Jasper.

HS

George Hodge
11-14-2001, 10:13 PM
1/2 nut,I got rust in my veins from my Granddad,he was a millwright and blacksmith,I was too young to learn much,(About6 when he died),but I remember him working to develop a machine to turn wood spokes for them newfangled cars.I remember pumping the blower for him when he was doing some forge work.My dad was an artist and I was intent on tearing all his tractors and mowers apart,while I was growing up.I live about 15mi.South of you. George
Ozarks Hermit,that steam show is on Rt60,East of Republic,about 2mi.,on the South side of 60Hwy. It lasts about 3days and is well worth going to! There's usually at least a dozen big traction engines running,plus hundreds of smaller engines of all discriptions.They have a sawmill set up,a shingle mill,a threshing machine,a large fan,for putting a load on a steam engine,a rock crusher,a swap meet all 3 days and farm tractor displays and pulls. George

halfnut
11-15-2001, 03:18 PM
George,

Surprised we haven't ever met, maybe we have, I remember faces not names. I worked for an old timer for 3 years, Kenneth Potter, he is 87 or 8 now, still goes to shop. Ran a shop here in Jasper for a time, still do a job or two when people talk me into it, green money helps. Kenny Carter is my neighbor, everyone knows Kenny, and he knows half the county, I'll ask him if he knows who you are. He'll probably say he's so and so's boy, lives just east of ..... You know how these old farmers are from around here.

I'm an imported Barton countian myself, all the way from Boston, got into Jasper county about 1 mile, went to Jasper school.

I myself have an excuse for liking junk and such, my Grandpa Haile had a salvage yard in Lamar in the 40's. Never got to meet him, he died 5 years before I was born. He was a carpenter, had a forge, and was an avid whittler. My mom always says I take after him, I guess thats a good thing.

Good hearing from you,

Harold Sprenkle aka halfnut