PDA

View Full Version : American Machinist

bspooh
02-07-2002, 01:22 PM
Any of you out there read American Machinist?? I have had a few articles in the "practical idea" section..I have another idea that should be in maybe next month..I am not asking anyone to vote for me, I;m just asking for people to VOTE for the best idea...even if it is not mine...

thanks
brent

Mcostello
02-07-2002, 09:28 PM
How does one go about getting a subscription- free of course. I'm a one man shop and last time I checked I didn't qualify. THANKS

Thrud
02-07-2002, 11:27 PM
I was totally ignored - I think it was because I am from Canada.

Dave

halfnut
02-08-2002, 09:36 AM
It's almost the only part of the magazine that's worth looking at.

Shop where I work isn't the highest tech, we do have a CNC mill, and it's almost 15 years old now. We have ourselves a DRO on a lathe now. Best machine in shop is the old Marvel #8 roll in saw, it has a flat belt.

I do enjoy looking at the pictures of all those high-tech newfangled machines.

This is a way all of us can make some extra spending money, I've thought about sending in a few items.

One item I do remember was this machinist from India wrote up one on tacking a chunk of bar to end of shaft, so that he could work on this long shaft, other end supported with steady rest. Learned that trick long ago. Someone wrote in that it wouldn't work, since this holding stub wouldn't be concentric, I still can't believe the editor's reply. These high tech people haven't ever heard of a 4 jaw chuck I reckon.

Still think that fellow from India knew how to do with what he had, and how to do the job right.

Off my rant, everyone send in something.

Thrud, keep trying, they did print that one from India.

bspooh
02-08-2002, 11:29 AM
yeah, keep trying ...i have had 2 things published, but haven't won yet...maybe next time...

brent