PDA

View Full Version : de Haas single shots

Gizmo
02-01-2002, 08:33 PM
Anyone out there build one of Mr. Single Shots' offerings in his "Book of Rifle Plans"? I'm sneaking up on the Chickopee CF, but also like the look of the Vault Lock II. I would rather use 4140 (or something) than 1018 but haven't found a small quantity source yet. I guess I'm looking for a gently nudge to get started...

mike thomas
02-01-2002, 08:39 PM
I too am thinking of this project. McMaster Carr Supply Company has the material. It's a little spendy, but what aint. Gotta finish my last project, and then will attempt a single shot.

SGW
02-01-2002, 08:58 PM
Given the number of hours you'll put into it, the extra cost of 4140 on a per-hour basis becomes pretty trivial.

JCHannum
02-02-2002, 08:31 AM
Gismo,

The Chicopee is on a long list of things I want to get around to also.

1018 is probably OK for this action. If you are concerned about strength, beef it up a bit. There is plenty of room, and a little steel adds a lot of strength. I would be wary of 4140 due to problems with weldability. It can create localised hard spots, and fracturing.

Definitely use 4140 on the vault locks, and heat treat it.

bspooh
02-02-2002, 10:41 AM
If weldability is a problem, then use 8620...not as strong as 4140 but very similar, it also machines easier and welds better..tell me what size of stock of 4140 that you need, because I use a lot of 4140 at work, and maybe i could supply you a chunk for free if you would pay shipping...but maybe i don't have the size that you need..let me know

brent

mike thomas
02-02-2002, 01:38 PM
It is the vault locks that require 4140, pre-heat treated. The size is 2.5"x1.5"x3.6". To heat treat after machining would run about $55.00, and might change clearances. The 4140 pre-heat treated is about $45.00 and is a foot long. Or about $20.00 per action counting shipping. Pretty pricey for steel, but all in all not too bad. As SGW said, time makes that look pretty paltry. In that light, as slow as I am, I could probably make my projects out of gold, and that would be the minor investment. Mike

Gizmo
02-02-2002, 06:14 PM
Thanks guys, I'm most impressed with all the responses! Mike, you make me laugh... I just finished a rifle I started in 1985. And not for me but for my boy. My wife calls it my two year plan; she doesn't even start looking for action out of me for two years, and won't start nagging for four. She's the impatient type, I guess.
Only problem with McMaster Carr is they don't sell to individuals, or at least they didn't last time I tried to get some bandsaw wheel tires from them. 8620 sounds good, any ideas for a source? I appreciate the offer for the 4140 from work, Brent, but only if you wouldn't get in dutch. And like Mike, I would probably spend another year or more just rounding up the raw materials. Anyway, thanks all. Keith.

mike thomas
02-02-2002, 11:51 PM
The wife has been hinting for a couple of months that she would like new garden trellises. I promised to call the steel distributor and have them drop off the necessary material this week. I will check with them as they list heat treated 4140 in their catalog. I'll post the info here. Mike P.S. It is the detours like this that make me so slow on my projects.

bspooh
02-03-2002, 12:21 AM
keith,
First of all, I run my company so I wouldn't get in dutch, but If i read it right, I don't have any 2 x 1.5 inch..I mainly use round stock...3/4, 1 3/8, 1 1/4, 1 1/8 and sometimes 1/2 dia's...I do use flat stock, but it is 4130...4130 is a good material, simialar to 4140, except that you can carburize it without getting cracking that is associated with 4140...If I can help, let me know......

brent

Gizmo
02-03-2002, 09:59 PM
Brent- You're in SLC I see from your Utah thread? Too bad I'm not in Evanston anymore! I'd come pester you, and rummage through your cut-off pile. I'm in Cheyenne now, The Chicopee is made up primarily of 1/4" flat stock, with 3/16" for the receiver sides. There is one piece of 1 1/8" for the receiver ring. Does 4130 weld better than 4140?

Marcos
02-04-2002, 12:22 PM
Hi All,

I was thinking about making up one of these myself, I grew up shooting a Remington Improved Model 6, falling block .22 and just love single shots. What calibres can you make with the DeHass plans? Ae they for modern calibres or black powder stuff?

Thanks,

Marcos

rmatel
02-04-2002, 06:56 PM
Gizmo,
Last April I ordered a urethane belt for my Unimat SL from McMaster-Carr. Cost $3.85; shipping $3.25. They not only sell to individuals but they have no minimum.
Bob

mike thomas
02-04-2002, 07:48 PM
Marcos, up to '06 cased cartridges. Now about the 4140. I called the steel distributor today, and they do not have it. Then it was call this guy who said no but call so and so. Finally I found someone. About $6.75 for a piece 2.5x1.5x4.0. Then add $13.50 for cutting and $30.00 for heat treat. However, he said that there would only be one heat treat charge for multiple pieces. I do not have a band saw, so do not mind paying the cutting charge. I told him that I would take three. That puts one right at $31.00. More, up to what will fit in the furnace, would lower the price. If anyone is interested e-mail me.
Gizmo, I want to build this for my daughter. She is graduating in Aug. 2003. Hope I can get one done.

Gizmo
02-05-2002, 09:06 AM
Marcos, there are four action plans in the book. One is strictly for 22 rf, sized and designed around that chambering. Two are strong enough for the 308 class of cartridge case. The 'beauty' of these actions is the round breech block, something you can do with minimal tooling. The last, the Chicopee, is of sandwich construction, and is recommended for low pressure, or cast bullet cartridges. Although de Haas says it has been used successfully for 222 class rounds.
Mike, good luck! August '03 would be a pretty quick deadline around here...

docn8as
02-06-2002, 06:53 PM
Gizmo/Mike ...you guys have a long way to go when it comes to procrastination....example ,1955,picked up lowall action for $15.....circa 1966 tightened up action ,modified tang for throughbolt,fabricated a modified mann-niedner firing pin.....1976,put a douglass air gauge barrel on it & chambered for k hornet,rebuilt extractor.......1980 blued it.....2002 still sitting w/ old Herter blank next to it .....sad!!!!!!!!!a function of ageing..old friends are passing on & it just doesnot seem as important anymore!..9 g/kids & while a few have the hands ,sports/computers have taken their interest....one starts this sunday w/ chamber of commerce BB gun program ...still hope!
best wishes
docn8as

PS .yeah i know ur supposed to stock it before blueing , but i had the tanks fired upfor a friend ,& there it sat!........there is also the neighbors .410 O/U needing a V spring the last 4 years.....& unfortunately there is more!.......

Gizmo
02-06-2002, 09:14 PM
Doc, you're my kind of guy! You wouldn't want to double your money on that Low Wall, would ya? Didn't think so. I think the problem is the STOCKWORK. Once upon a time I liked it, but that was before I got any metal working tools. Now it's like pulling teeth. Thank heaven for the synthetic stocks; they aren't much to look at but at least I have something to shoot. Got every rafter in the shop stuffed with stocks,like ladies in waiting. Let 'em wait.

mark
02-08-2002, 06:14 PM
Gentlemen,
Where did you find this book from Mr. Singleshot? That sounds interesting.
thanks
mark

mike thomas
02-08-2002, 07:13 PM
Mark, The book, "Mr. Single Shot's Book of Rifle Plans," by Frank and Mark de Haas, is out of print. However, a search by Frank's name will turn one up on the internet. I had my local bookseller find a copy for me. The internet prices run $15 to $20. Mike

mark
02-08-2002, 07:57 PM
Thanks Mike

JCHannum
02-08-2002, 09:03 PM
It is also available from Brownell's. If you don't have a catalog, and are at all interested in gunsmithing, get one. www.brownells.com (http://www.brownells.com) They are free and loaded with goodies.

Frank DeHaas' son also sells his books: Mark De Haas, 20049 West State Hwy. 2, Ridgeway, MO 64481. Book of Rifle Plans $22.50 ppd. add $1.50 for Canadian.

I have no connections in either.