PDA

View Full Version : Lathe gifts ??

nheng
12-11-2002, 09:28 AM
Any suggestions out there for some nice lathe generated Christmas gifts, primarily for teen daughter or son ? Was thinking of cutoff bands of polished brass for bracelets, maybe, and perhaps a small fake Jedi light sabre handle as keyring decoration for 2nd set of family car keys. Any other ideas ??

I'm looking for some good PR for lathe ownership http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif as well as a gift handmade with love http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Den

Al Messer
12-11-2002, 10:29 AM
You've got the right idea!! Go for it!!

Al Messer
12-11-2002, 10:33 AM
Too quick with the mouse. I meant to tell you that I made my wife a copper bracelet with my lathe and then put some hammer marks on it on a round mandrel to make it look like it had been "hammered out." She really flipped over it and all her girl friends wanted to know where she got it.

nheng
12-11-2002, 12:17 PM
Al:

Thanks for the hammer mark idea. I hadn't thought beyond the basic bands yet. I suppose I could drop a few decorative grooves onto them as well.

Did you use any sort of finish or just bare copper ?

Den

tonydacrow
12-11-2002, 12:24 PM
Or,

How about the same thing made from titanium. You could finish by playing a tourch over the surface for color or anodize.

BTW: Playing a torch over copper brings out some very nice blues, greens and brozes.

[This message has been edited by tonydacrow (edited 12-11-2002).]

Dick Payne
12-11-2002, 12:24 PM
Den:
Guy Lautard has a project called the Turner's Cube in his Third Bedside Reader. It is done on a lathe out of brass, aluminum or steel. It is a cube machined within a cube which is within a cube (3 cubes) It has no practical value except demonstrate your machining ability and cause a lot of people to say how did he do that. It could be used for a key chain.

------------------
Dick

SGW
12-11-2002, 02:46 PM
I made one of those turner's cubes, in walnut, a couple of months ago when I applied for a job as a "wood machinist." I took it in, gave it to the personnel rep, and said, "I made this." I didn't get the job, but it sure got me noticed!

Anyway...it's a fun project. The hardest part is making the fixtures and buttons and special boring bars. The actual machining of the cube is tedious but pretty straightforward. I found I had to be sure that for each face I put the cube back in the fixture the same way each time, as there was a couple thou error in the centering of the cube with the fixture. Not a big deal, but something to be aware of.

Al Messer
12-11-2002, 03:00 PM
nheng:

Just gave it a good buffing with steel wool is all.

brunneng
12-11-2002, 08:13 PM
How does the copper react to the skin over time? Does it discolor (itself or the skin) like some metals will?

Or which metals are to be avoided in use like that.

Kevin

yf
12-11-2002, 08:59 PM
I've seen copper bracelets in catalogs.
They claim it helps cure almost any ailment you can think of (and some you can't).
Can't imagine they would do that unless there was no liability. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by yf (edited 12-11-2002).]

nheng
12-11-2002, 09:01 PM
Probably a good idea to know what alloy is being used and keep an eye on lead content as well. Dipping in a clear, non-toxic coating might be a good idea for kids stuff.

Al Messer
12-11-2002, 09:15 PM
Don't have any idea about the lead content, but I just made my child-bride a ring for her arthritic pinky out of a piece of a copper bus bar. And, yes, it will discolor the skin somewhat, but it washes off with soap and water.

SJorgensen
12-12-2002, 03:01 AM
Lathe Gifts? Geeze all I can think of is how much I'd like a milling attachment or turret holder for Christmas. Yea Baby, now that's lathe gifts!

Thrud
12-12-2002, 05:29 AM
SJorgensen:
Like that commercial where the clod gives his woman a hockey stick wrapped up and after she she says (without opening it) "A hockey stick, how lovely, just as nice as the hammer last year!" he says, "great, can I borrow your hockey stick?"

It is the thought that counts...

nheng
12-12-2002, 10:09 AM
Back when I was a teen, one of my buddies gave his mom a Weller soldering gun for Christmas.

My wife says if I give her a new lathe for Christmas, she will give me a new convection oven. I told her I couldn't wait to bake off some freshly painted parts http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif

jfsmith
12-12-2002, 11:30 AM
My girl friend is getting me a gift certificate from Victoria Secrets.

bikewrench
12-12-2002, 05:35 PM
Den While putzing around on Lunch break I made a bracelet out of 1/8 dia.silver solder,sometimes called "grade three" medium silver content. I then flattened out a scrap of copper tube from the junk pile and sawed out 2 small hearts.There was a small (about 1") piece of thin brass in the pile so i sawed out another heart and overlapped them copper brass copper,silver soldered the whole thing together and gave to the prettiest girl on the production floor.Boy was I popular,I used to call it junk jewelry.Let your Imagination be your guide or use the jewelry store flyer and make similar stuff in polished non-precious metals.Stainless looks like platinum and a 3/4 nut can be drilled and smoothed to a great ring,leave one flat and engrave! good luck

yf
12-12-2002, 08:34 PM
How about making Guy Lautards Kaliedescope?
Its in one of the bedside readers.
Has anyone made one?
Might be a nice gift.

brunneng
12-13-2002, 06:00 PM
I did some checking up and it seems that it's the Zinc that will really get you. Apparently it doesn't take much Zinc content in a ring to give a nasty case of poisoning. Report is you could lose a finger to it.

If anyone has better info that this isn't the case let us know. That came from some jewelers. A nickle (not old enough to be high silver content 90%) was added to a melt. Lots of Zinc. Very bad.

I guess Zinc Oxide behaves differently.

Kevin

Thrud
12-14-2002, 02:05 AM
brunneng:
That is going to be a horrible blow to the hundreds of companies that sell zinc losenges. Zinc is a base metal used by the human body, but as with all things too much can be a bad thing. So stop licking your batteries.

BTW, I seen a documentry that showed that a dog that licked its butt had a cleaner mouth that the woman that the dog licked on the mouth. The Woman then kissed the man.

Moral:Your dog's butt is better to kiss than your girlfriends lips. At least you know where the dog's butt has been.

I you are really worried about zinc, call your local university chemistry department and ask if it will cause any problems.

Herb Helbig
12-14-2002, 08:28 AM
Folks -

I'm not sure how useful it would be, but definitely entertaining to look at the MSDS for zinc.

------------------

Thrud
12-14-2002, 06:02 PM
Herb
I have a cold, I have to go lick my zinc block now. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

After finding out how much bacteria grow in our mouths (and I am talking about you guys that gargle with Everclear) I am surprised that anything bothers us. And to think a dog arse is cleaner than the dog owner's mouth... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif

brunneng
12-15-2002, 03:12 AM
That reminds me of the paranoia about toilet seats. Lab tests show again and again that paper money, door knobs, telephones and key boards have a hundred times the bacteria.

but the money is the worst carrier. Nice porous surface, kept in a warm, humid environment - handled by who knows what after doing who knows what.
Be safe - send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you safely.

Thrud
12-15-2002, 11:03 PM
Yeah, I can take all that filthy lucre off your hands too. In return I send a autographed photocopy of my butt - so you know it went to good cause...a facelift for thrud.