PDA

View Full Version : PRESS BRAKE

JOBATS
04-19-2002, 11:48 PM
I need help on how to make tooling for a press brake.
Any info would be very helpful.

Thank you

Thrud
04-20-2002, 01:28 AM
It depends.

Punches and dies can be made. Commercial punches & dies are expensive but they do last a very long time even when used with hot rolled steel (fair amount of scale). Check with machinery dealers or www.thomasregister.com (http://www.thomasregister.com) for punches & dies. Most dealers often have shorter pieces that can be purchased.

Gooseneck punches are used for more complex bends. Straight and acute punches can be added for extended utility. Acute dies must be used with the matching punch. V-dies can be almost any punch. Ureathane is also used for special forming operations and shapes. If used for Aluminum and "pretty" is key, polished dies are required. Aluminum with protective paper (actually a plastic film) can also help reduce blems. Stainless Steel requires about the same tonnage as two gauges heavier steel would.

Holes and notches can also be done. Unitool makes round and shaped punches, notchers, and tooling plates. Tooling plates can be made for custom application and mounted in the press brake as required. Standard tooling plates allow punches to be posistioned as required for custom applications. Custom tooling plates have largely been eliminated by CNC turret punches in most production evironments (in house or farmed out) largely becuase of their high cost.

Good luck. If you need specific information you can email me if you wish - I would need more information as to your expected application. Check for my email address on the bbs system as it about to change any day now.

gvasale
04-20-2002, 07:35 AM
Check out the new msc catalog. they now have press brake dies. A lot of simple tooling you could make in a mill. you might check a local sheetmetal shop to see if they have any dies with blown out sections that you might cut out damaged areas and re use, also sometimes have seen brake dies in fab shops that are at autions. mscdirect.com

JOBATS
04-21-2002, 12:38 AM
Thank you THRUD, YOUR INFO WAS VERY HELPFUL.
I knew I came to the right place.

Thanks