PDA

View Full Version : Oh baby, love that collet chuck!

Gizmo
02-18-2002, 11:44 PM
Bought a little 9x20 just before Christmas time. As someone on the board here said, now I have 1 1/2 lathes! I think it was Thrud, with 7 1/2 lathes. I've only recently had the opportunity to play with it. One of the reasons I bought it was it came with all sorts of added gizmos, including the Bison 5-C collet chuck and a 31 pc. collet set. I'm here to tell all you newbies, save up your money and get yourself one of these critters; they are as handy and quick as an Aloris style tool post. Fast and reasonably accurate, especially for repeat work. If you're cheap like me, it will undoubtably warm the cockles of your penny pinchin' heart that you can work down to the nubbly stub of your stock. I am only sad that it took this many years to stumble onto something so good. Now I gotta scrounge one up for the real lathe! You boys got any other things that make you grin every time you use it? In the shop, that is...

Thrud
02-19-2002, 02:50 AM
Gizmo:
Best money I ever spent was Lyndex ER25 collets and a Ball Bearing Collet nut for my Schnaublin MT#2 Collet holder. Holds endmills and drills in a super precise death grip.

I also bought a Bison 6-1/4" Forged Steel Precision 3 jaw Chuck with removable top jaws - I had problems with parts turning in a regular chuck. Plus I can spin this baby upto 4500 no problem!

I have a 24"x36"x6" Granite plate, master height gauges, master squares, gauge blocks etc. - great for "reverse engineering" - not that I would do that - and layouts, etc. Got most of my stuff at auctions, sales, show specials, or eBay. I buy new only if I have to.

I have no room to fart, so I am stuck with my Maximat 7 combo machine (awesome machine) until I can score a big barn or something...

R S Nelson
04-05-2002, 07:08 AM
Especially nice when grabbing a threaded item as the collet won't damage the threads like a three jaw chuck will.

bdarin
04-05-2002, 09:48 PM
I, too, got me one of those Bison 5C chucks. Mounted it to a backplate, indicated it to .0005. The best tool I ever bought, shoulda done it sooner. Using it on an Atlas 10".

KenS
04-11-2002, 04:33 PM
Yes, I took 'em up on the sale too and love the thing already because it still lets me use some of my spindle bore for long pieces and it's accurate without trouble.

I've got one of the little 5C 4 jaw chucks also and even though it's kind of rinky dink it lets me mount up bigger stock without unscrewing the 5c chuck.

rmatel
04-15-2002, 07:04 PM
Ken,
I have one of the Enco 5C/4 jaw chucks also and am trying to remove the 5C portion so I can use the chuck on a mini lathe. I removed the 4 bolts and banged, swore and b anged, chucked up a rod and banged on that, then swore some more. I can't get it apart. Any ideas?
Bob

KenS
04-29-2002, 03:59 AM
Hi Bob,

Apologies to you for my late comeback - I haven't been over here much lately.

I wanted to get the chuck off of that flange too. As soon as I found that the chuck was less than I hoped it would be I wanted to make use of the 5C flange for some hairbrained thing that I don't recall today. I met with what you have and decided to just put the chuck on the rack for possible use someday. It's relegated now to the batch of gizmos that I keep because I know that if I toss it the need for it will materialize shortly thereafter. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

There's a press fit in the package someplace, Bob, or maybe a thread (?) Though such things are not common at all I can't figure another way that they could have locked those two pieces together. Have you tried heat? Or maybe stick it in the freezer for a day or two.

[This message has been edited by KenS (edited 04-29-2002).]

Stepside
04-29-2002, 08:34 AM
Having bought 6 of the Bison 5-C chucks, I had better like them or I am a slow learner. Actually I have two at home (different backplates) 2 for friends and two here at the school. My only advice is get the nicer one with the "adjust-true" feature. These little puppies eliminate the spinning handwheel that can be dangerous in a small shop or around students.

Now for my next favorite tool--Rota-broaches-- They make nice round holes in sheet material as well as both round and rectagular tubing. I have found the holes are close enogh for silver brazing tolerence.

rmatel
04-29-2002, 06:17 PM
KenS,
I finally got it off!!!
I put a chuck in the tailstock with a 1/2" piece of rod. Clamped the 4-jaw, in the headstock on to the rod. Using the tailstock handwheel, I put tension on the system and kept tapping on the 4-jaw with 8oz. copper hammer. Eventually a small opening on the joint appeared into which I dumped some WD-40. Occasionally, I would back off the tension, rotate the setup and go at it again. Kept up the tension and the tapping and eventually BINGO! Took maybe 1/2 hour; thank G-- for radio ;-)
The shoulder is less than 1/8" high. I touched it with a file so next time removing the chuck will be easier.