PDA

View Full Version : castiron

charlie coghill
03-25-2002, 10:57 PM
Hi Guys: Some time in the feture when I get a couple of projects done, I would like a source for short pieces of cored castiron. Mainly to make cylinders for steam engines.

It would not hurt my feelings if they are cut offs.

Thanks. Charlie.

Thrud
03-27-2002, 02:41 AM
Charlie
As a scrounge rat, rooting through the scrap yard yields many (Cheap, cheap I say!) finds for this hoser-boy.

Dave

Martin
04-01-2002, 06:50 PM
Charlie,
I have limited access to an industrial site which deals in just about any size of cast iron you would want for a minimal cost. These are cut offs and irregular ends to square, round and cylindrical bar stock of all sizes.
Let me know what sizes you are looking for.
I would be happy to scrounge, locate and ship to you for my cost.
I do not know what grade or hardness of cast iron it is because some of the paint codes are there and some are not. But all of it is excellent quality when you get down to the clean metal.
Martin

charlie coghill
04-04-2002, 12:02 AM
Thanks Martin for the offer. If you would send me your E-mail,I would mail you with what I would like. It will be some time though be for I get to where I would need anything. I have to get this boat project out of my hair first. What I was hopping for was a Co. that had cast iron cut offs for sale.

charlie coghill
04-07-2002, 10:36 PM
Hi Martin:

Please check my profile and send me your E-mail address if you would. I will save it and when I need the CI, I will contact you and see what you can come up with. Thanks. Charlie.

dperkins
05-15-2002, 10:45 PM
Charlie,
I used class 40 cast iron for my Heisler Locomotive steam cylinders. It machines freely and cleans up to a brite finish with a good hone. I purchase it from metalmart.com. They have a excellant technical guide if you need it. Just remember that what you find in a junk pile is just that "junk". It could cost you more in broken tool bits than the piece is worth.

JCHannum
05-16-2002, 07:10 AM
ASAP in Mich. is also a good source. Just got their list, many shapes & sizes all materials. www.asapsource.com (http://www.asapsource.com) They have Dura Bar, good stuff, machines nicely, nice finish. Also a source for 4140 and other steels, brass, plastic, aluminum and stainless. Prices seem in line.

firbikrhd1
05-31-2002, 11:12 AM
Hi Guys,
On the cast iron subject.... how do you think cast iron from sash weights from old single hung windows would work for making various cast iron parts? I have seen these weights around and can probably get my hands on some. How about it?

[This message has been edited by firbikrhd1 (edited 05-31-2002).]

JCHannum
05-31-2002, 11:44 AM
As mentioned in a previous thread, these were cast from leftovers and scrap. They are full of slag, porosity, cats, dogs etc. Not recommended for turning stock.

lynnl
05-31-2002, 05:36 PM
Most I've seen were as you suggest JC, but I liberated two from a trash pile a few days ago that look real good (sash wts, not trash pile) on the outside. Haven't tried cutting them yet.

JCHannum
05-31-2002, 09:26 PM
Life is full of mysteries. We never know when or how we are going to get lucky in some pursuit or another. The older we get, the more pleasure e derive from these minor triumphs.
Good luck with your liberated sash weights. They very well could be of excellent quality.

charlie coghill
05-31-2002, 11:54 PM
I read some where that sash weights are a good source of cast iron. I nave never gotten a chance to try one, but if I had the chance to get some I would not turn it down. Of course I don't turn to much junk down, just might work for the next project. Charlie

Thrud
06-01-2002, 12:34 AM
Charlie
Bad cast iron there - crap cast iron.

small parts sells cast iron bar by the inch www.smallparts.com (http://www.smallparts.com) upto 6" diameter - high quality stuff. Not free.

NAMPeters
06-01-2002, 01:33 AM
Sash weights are about the only commercial product that are made from pig iron. Pig iron is the raw stock for the steel making process. Basically it is crap as iron goes.

------------------
Neil Peters

SGW
06-01-2002, 08:34 AM
I had the same idea about sashweights....

They're junk, as a general rule. You might get lucky and come across one that's not too bad, but the odds are against it. About all you're likely to do is beat the hell out of your toolbit. Of course, if you've got 'em, it's worth a try. But don't be too optimistic.

MSC sells cast iron bar, or find a local supplier of Dura-Bar.

[This message has been edited by SGW (edited 06-01-2002).]