PDA

View Full Version : five whistles

trap
04-18-2002, 11:17 PM
tug going by just sent out five whistles.

must leave now

Herb W
04-18-2002, 11:32 PM
What does it mean when they do that? (five whistles)

Herb

Clutterpeg
04-19-2002, 12:06 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Herb W:
What does it mean when they do that? (five whistles)

Herb</font>

HerbW.
It means that they pulled on the cord five time..........Oops sorry.
Dave.

spope14
04-19-2002, 11:41 AM
Beer Break - Get out the Newcastles.....

Herb W
04-19-2002, 10:36 PM
U guys r baaaaad

Thrud
04-20-2002, 01:32 AM
"The Count" got them upto FIVE today ha, ha, ha, 5, count em, one, two, three, four, five, ha, ha, ha, ha!

(...what, nobody ever watch sesame street except me?)

bspooh
04-20-2002, 02:12 PM
I love sesame street...i also like sesame seeds...i used to watch sesame street while eating sesame seeds...

bent

Clutterpeg
04-21-2002, 04:40 PM
Herb, Trap.
Seriously,five short blasts on the whistle
means " make your intentions clear", three short means " man overboard " one long means " turning to starboard " two long means " turning to port " and three long means " going astern". Just a little triv. info.
Dave.

trap
04-24-2002, 11:13 PM
five whistles is a danger, warning situtation that usually means someone is about to get their butt run over. Where I live on the river it usually means someone is busy catching fish or shrimp and the tug will just have to wait till the run is over or find a way to go around because they ain't going to move. Therefore when hearing the tug blow five whistles (trying to scare the fisherman) the rest of us knows that someone is catching really good so we all bust butt to get to the river. That is why I had to leave instead of making a post.

joemer
04-26-2002, 09:49 PM
Subs never blew a wistle. 4" of heavy reinforced high grade steel vrs 1/4" of crappy aluminium we didn't need to.

------------------

Thrud
04-26-2002, 11:19 PM
joemer:
Unless they are Russian - blew the nose right off the last one. Lousy Russian Army surplus rocket torpedoes... (God rest their souls)

Alistair Hosie
05-02-2002, 12:59 PM
Five whistles can be heard for the first few days whe you are unlucky enough to be supplied with a set of dentures under the British national health service I thikschh sho anywaysshh.

Thrud
05-02-2002, 10:54 PM
Alistair

Hey! Machine your own out of Titanium! That would freak out your denturist!

Cheers brother

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 05-02-2002).]

Herb W
05-02-2002, 11:40 PM
So, Trap...
Catch anything?

Alistair Hosie
05-03-2002, 11:29 AM
my dear friend Thrud an excellent suggestion do you think titanium would be strong enough the little ladies cookin aint wot it used ta be I was thinkin of removin the front two fangs and replacin them with a couple of tungsten jobs from mah saw. wot deh yer think?.Al. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Thrud
05-04-2002, 12:08 AM
Alistair
Well, you do know Titanium is almost corrosion proof - plus, you could get them coated in TiAlCN for extra "wear protection". Nope. Then they would look brown all the time! Maybe TiCN - Purple! Purple looks good - hard as hell too.

Actually they do make Titanium teeth. They screw Ti pegs into your gums and snap an enamelled Titanium tooth onto it. Permanent chompers. Could used those when my sister was "learning" to "cook" "meatloaf". That is when I discovered in disparation green Milk Bones taste the best. (well, better than "Corn Flakes")

I feels yer pain brother.

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 05-03-2002).]

trap
05-04-2002, 01:26 AM
Herb W

Only caught 900 lbs of Oak Hill Reds which are the best tasting shrimp in the world.

Seems disgusting that I can make as much money fishing in 15 minutes as I would make in the machine trade in two months.

Alistair Hosie
05-04-2002, 06:56 AM
my dear friend thrud ah think weez goin about thishh all the wrong way tatanium ishh way to hard that why ahm a shhufferin so musch ah decided this mornin to shhtart on a new project ah had a brainwave in the middle of the night (ahm a little anxious to part with mah new found idea in case it could be the road to riches fuhr me never know somebody out there might shteal it from meh anywayshh try thishh)
carve a set of nashers from ol car tires well ah noh they may not look so good but they'd sure fit real comfy if yah ever fell of a boat they'd keep yehr head out of the water too a kind of built in bonush if yeh were lucky enough to find whitewallsh then yad be bang in with the girlies what dya think Thrud ahm becomin dependent on yahr advice partner.Al

Thrud
05-04-2002, 05:12 PM
Alistair
Well, using tires would taste as bad as my sister's cooking. At least you cannot bite your tongue with them. Stay away from those "Firestone" teeth, I hear thay have been known to lose caps before under high speed chewing conditions. &lt;g&gt;

Herb W
05-04-2002, 11:04 PM
trap
Lots of money in fishing you say...hmmm..this..uh guy i know..uh he wants to know where to sign up...
Herb

Thrud
05-05-2002, 06:13 AM
Yeah, me too! On second thought I think I would gain weight if I ate 800 Lbs. of shrimp.

(I'd sell the other 100 lbs. - I ain't greedy!)

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 05-05-2002).]

Alistair Hosie
05-05-2002, 02:33 PM
Long as yer sister didn't cook em eh Thrud.Alistair

spope14
05-05-2002, 08:15 PM
Still think five whistles means go and get the Newcastle Ale. Of course I also think the third ring on the telephone means that, or the "new mail" gong on my computer means that as well.......

Thrud
05-06-2002, 02:40 AM
Alistair
You are giving me heartburn just talking like that - MERCY! Makes me want to eat out of a dumpster everytime I think of my sister's cooking - at least the dumpster rations are tastier.

SPope
You just need to learn how to appreciate a large jug of Guiness Stout. Nothing like the old brown frothy - unless it is a 25 year old Single Malt Scotch - yeah! It is mature enough to know its own way down! And nothing goes better with Scotch than Haggis or Wheaties.

Alistair Hosie
05-06-2002, 05:55 AM
Thrud I,m begining to wonder about you, could be yer sister cooks like one of them fancy frence chefs (hautte cuisine) and (hors doeuvre) commonly known as (horses dovers) maybe yeh just dont want to share all them lovely goodies with yer ol pal but experience tells me yehr probably tellin it as it is poor chap mah ol heart bleeds for yeh thrud.With mah wee missus its either malleable mule or frozen delight ah never new till ah got married there was curry powder in lasangne but there is.Alistair

spope14
05-06-2002, 04:34 PM
Black and tans - Guinness and Bass Ale. Just love them, especially the way they seperate and look in the glass!!!!!

I love my Chivas 12 year old stuff, never had chance to try the good 25 year old ambrosia on my teachers salary....suggest a brand, and I will try it!!!!!

How do you do that haggis or wheaties thing, seperately, or pour it right on.....

Uh oh, I her the phone ringing.......

Alistair Hosie
05-06-2002, 07:05 PM
Spope 14: teachers salary wouldn,t do you here brother first off (give the teacher a liquid geography lesson) Guiness, black and tans,thats Ireland Bass ale thats England.Chivas well one out of three aint bad just up the road from me 4 hrs drive actually thats nothin in the good ol U.S.A Canada or wherever your from Spope. however nobody here drinks that stuff (Why? I here you cry)since the price of our gas keeps goin up from week to week currently almost $7.00 bucks a gallon we put it in our tanks.

spope14
05-06-2002, 08:01 PM
Sorry, I teach machining, drink what I do from wherever it is from, and enjoy it the same no matter what, except this one chinese whiskey that made me wretch just from the smell.....First sip I swore it off for good....

Actually do not drink a whole lot at all, so when I do I enjoy it in moderation, so probably accounting for my relative ignorance in "hydraulic nutrition".

As for $7.00 per gallon gas. I have a few very honest questions for you on this one, I really do not know.

Does the gov't tax this stuff at an extremely high rate? About 45% of the cost where I am from is taxes. Is the cost due to availability of fuel, or is this a way to keep people from buying big old road hogs and landlocked "barges" on wheels? Is this to keep the air cleaner? Real questions, not trying to be sarcastic in the least bit...

I looked into a "Smart car" for my kid once, she liked it, but the availability in the northern parts of New England is about non-existant. Thought it was a neat thing...

We are lucky here in the US in many ways, but also just awaiting to get our fannys handed to us at the gas pump....

Oh no, I hear a doorbell....time for a Newcastle.....

Alistair Hosie
05-06-2002, 08:39 PM
Spope 14: I have a friend went to China he was second officer on a boat and developed a bad back so they pulled in so's he could get som acu-puncture,anyway he went to the hotel to stay the night.He felt the bed a bit uncomfortable as it was very hard and him with a bad back he pulled back the matress cover but it wasn't it was a sheet on top of of four bales of hay. When he tried to re-arrange the hay he disturbed millions of giant cockroaches which same scurrying out he hobbled out into the hallway shouting for help and after a while he made his way out to the edge of the balcony which overlooked a kind of bar at first he had a hard job explaining what was wrong, then to his horror once the local bevvy artists down at the bar cottoned on to his plight they were fighting each other to get into his room, cockroaches are a great delicassy there and he had to watch as they scooped them up. The horrible thing was they didn't eat them they snapped them in two between their fingers and drank the contents so Spope what kind of Chinese drink did you say you tasted bud think on: Alistair

Thrud
05-07-2002, 01:58 AM
Alistair
I will quote my nephew: "I can hardly wait until I am eighteen so I can move out and get real food."

He was not kidding. Bad does not begin to describe it. If we sent her cooking over to the terrorists they would give surrender en masse.

We are paying $.70-.90/L for crappy gas - good thing we suck it out of the ground here. They put butane in it in the winter to make it more "flammable". I remember when it smelled like laquer thinner and cost $5/48 Imperial gallons!

SPope
Washes both of them down and prevents you from tasting those damn wheaties! Presoak optional.

Alistair Hosie
05-07-2002, 06:52 AM
Thrud I know what you mean pal:
In Scotland we have also oil a plenty with rigs dotted all over our north sea we are currently one of the worlds biggest producers and certainly the biggest in europe.problem is the English government(mostly run by Scots) charge us through the nose with about 87%tax added to the real cost.
re; your sisters cooking thrud you should've tasted my fathers cooking god bless him he had no interest in the subject whatsoever.When I was a boy once my mother went into hospital for few days and dad did the cooking ow ow ow ow ow his idea was, if it had nutritional value it was good for you if you protested you were smartly reminded of the starving children in Africa.My mother made soup before she went a big pot of it after a while on the second day I think the pot wasn't showing enough to go round their were five of us.Then dad went to work first he dug out from under the sink an old hand cranked mincing machine we used to use years before when we had a dog. Every item dad could find in the cupboards was used to fill the pot back to the required previous level flour,old bread, rice,eggs,he even ground up the eggshells proudly explaining that they were full of vitamins.The end result smelled wonderful ,looked like swill and tasted like sh---t you've got it so I reckon thrud my friend your sister has got to be an improvement on my dad any daythough perhaps not much who am I to say pal.Al

Alistair Hosie
05-07-2002, 07:15 AM
Spope: re tax question.
The government her are currently charging us around 87%tax last year the gas prices were going up every week then there was nearly a riot brought the country nearly to a standstill for a few days then Tony and his pals got the message and prices slowly came down a few pence and have been relatively steady the government and oil companies were just getting gready and had to be told everyone was miffed about the situation.So they in whitehall (the government) are a bit anxious about trying it on again.Wouldn't be so bad but we produce oil in abundance here in Scotland it's taken out and sold the money goes to an English government to do with as it likes.The people who live nearest to the oil in Scotland pay the most because the live in a rural region the government tell us its the cost of getting it all the way back up there were it came from in the firstplace.Some peopleup in the north of Scotland are paying the highest prices in the world for gas around ten bucks a gallon. Alistair

C. Tate
05-10-2002, 06:04 PM
Alistair,

I think I would ride a sheep if I were you. You could sell the sweaters to pay for the grain to make fertilizer for the veg. garden. Truly an eco freindly solution to the gas problem.

JCHannum
05-10-2002, 07:15 PM
Ruminant farts are destroying the ozone layer. Better come up with another solution.

Thrud
05-11-2002, 02:29 AM
JCHannum:
That sheep would be nicer than my sister - probably fart less too. Maybe we should put a funnel under the drivers seat and fart our way to work. No, the price of beans would then be more than gasoline. I know, stick hoses up politicians to run our cars - perpetual motion revealed!

Alistair
That is real bad. My sister is almost that bad - but uglier and meaner.

Best political statement about the British government came from J. Swift "Gulliver's Travels" and "A Modest Proposal". I had a whole semister in honours English at university on "A Modest Proposal". I am disgusted that political outrage had to be masked as black humour to avoid censure. Their reasons for laws are suspect - the young offender;s act does not work yet they persist with it. Gun control (confiscation of handguns) only resulted in the proliferation of submachine guns. Prior to handgun confiscation total guns in Britain was estimated at 1.5 million - it is now estimated that that figure is now 4.5 million. Instead of blaming their own sloppy border work they blame the US for "Making Them". Crime is way up, so they change the way laws are reported to make them look better - 36 breakins in an area now becomes one crime instead of 36 counts. Canada has modelled their young offenders act after theirs - now we have LCB's (little criminal bastards) you cannot convict because they are underage. The cops know it does not work, the criminals love it, the lawyers get richer. Let's bring back the noose - we can start with Ottawa. Rectal Orfices is what they are.

I think I wore my sneaker out beating the podium this time!

Alistair Hosie
05-12-2002, 03:13 PM
Thrud listen to your old pal Big Al,there is nothing wrong with your sister a little ingenuity and careful handling couldn't accomplish .All the o'l gals need is a little encouragement.Take note 1.tell your sister the cooking timer is not the smoke detector,2.say thats real nice food but I never new bacon was meant to be black round the edges.3.Tell her it defies the laws of physics to burn a boiled egg.I could go on and on why don't you just trade her in for a new model or better still an old model if its good eating you want.Those old gals can cook like hey my nanny.what dou you think Alistair

Thrud
05-13-2002, 02:05 AM
Alistair
My Grandmum was the best (German) cook and baker - I really miss her. My Mum (Scotish/English) was a fabulous cook until she hit fifty - then went astray. I have an older sister - also was a good cook. The other one - her meatloaf is reason enough for becoming a strict Vegitarian. By coincidence she does burn poached eggs. Gaack!

I think her and your father could teach each other a lesson - oh, the humanity of it all!

Alistair Hosie
05-13-2002, 09:19 AM
Thrud you are so right the Germans know how to cook.I lived there for five years and bake! well you never saw anything like it their baking is a work of art.Although in America at your shopping malls the supermarkets have a good selection of breads and cakes.Here in U.K they have taken it upon themselves to try to do things the American way,and have failed dismally.
Their bread looks cheap, we have no real selection white sliced or brown, and tastes like putty when you chew it.Man I wished I lived in the States.I can see myself now cruising down the palm lined roads in Clearwater Florida in my open topped car heading to the largest tool store in the world (next to the bakers) and all less than half price it costs here.You are lucky Thrud

Thrud
05-13-2002, 11:37 PM
Alistair
No, I live in Canada. My dollar is an American $0.50 piece (I remember when it was $1.09 US). As a fellow prisoner of the common wealth, I feels yer pain brother.

I was hoping Bush might invade and liberate Alberta - WE HAVE LOTS OF OIL YOU GUYS, AND WE ARE WILLING TO SHARE! We want convertables and good bread too (US cash).

Alistair Hosie
05-14-2002, 02:55 PM
Thrud so yer a canadian huh. well done bud! My wife stayed there a while in peace river and alberta.Hope yer keepin fine out there in cold land oh wipe the snow of yer milling machine.Alistair p.s I lied to ya, I have all ma own teeth.

charlie coghill
05-14-2002, 10:14 PM
Lord!! This thread has two of the bigest BSers and they have us schrounded. Alistair maybe you guys on that side of the big water need to have your own tea party.

mike thomas
05-15-2002, 12:35 AM
Charlie, aint that the truth. And they still haven't matched the horribleness of my aunt's cooking. She had the only trash can in town that the dogs would not knock over. I remember the summer I stayed with her. She never figured out why her flowers were dying, and why I ate almost every meal outside. I was burying the grub in the garden. Damn near starved to death. My uncle would get me up at 3 a.m. so that we could sneak out before she got up and fixed breakfast. If the mayo was not translucent, it was not worth using. She is a great old gal, but please don't make me eat the cookin'. Mike

Thrud
05-15-2002, 12:46 AM
charlie
Hey, I am not big I am "graviationally challenged". I do not BS but, I do fart on occasion. Benjamin Franklin said it best: "Fart Proudly".

Alistair Hosie
05-15-2002, 02:43 PM
dear Charlie if we had a tea party you'd be invited,You have such a way with compliments.

Thrud
05-15-2002, 07:26 PM
mike
That's nothing - when the flies would land on my sisters cooking they would take a lick and spend the next three days barfing!

mike thomas
05-15-2002, 07:36 PM
Every morining, I would volunteer to feed the two dogs. I ate half out of each bowl, rather than her cooking. The dogs slimmed down too, but they would not venture into the garden. Mike

KACHINKOO
05-15-2002, 08:05 PM
YOU GUYS ARE ALL WRONG!!!
BEING A PROFESSIONAL DELIVERY SKIPPER ON THE EAST COST YOU BETTER KNOW THE SIGNALS. 4 OR MORE BLASTS MEANS EXTREME DANGER. AS IN A TUG TELLING A PLEASURE BOAT TO STAY OUT OF MY WAY.IT TAKES A TANKER SOMETIMES MILES TO STOP OR JUST TURN ENOUGH TO AVOID A COLLISION. COMMERCIAL VESSLES ALWAYS HAVE THE RIGHT-OF-WAY, MIGHT HAS RIGHT! SIZE REALLY MATTERS. TIME FOR A BLACK-N-TAN.
DAVE

Thrud
05-17-2002, 12:15 AM
mike thomas:
I feels yer pain bro.

I found the green "milk bones" to my liking. We had an English teacher that would steal our munchies from us so one day we started eating milk bones. When she found out what we were eating she left the class and did not come back for a few weeks. The principle walked in and watched us eat them, shook his head, and left. It was one of those "Kodak Moments".

Alistair Hosie
05-17-2002, 08:14 AM
Thrud I know this is probably a daft question but what on earth are green milk bones?Alistair (the ignorant Scotsman)

Alistair Hosie
05-17-2002, 08:19 AM
Thrud whaton earth are green milk bones?Alistair

mike thomas
05-17-2002, 11:02 AM
Milk bones come in several varities. The colors represent the flavors. Green are supposed to be vegtable. On a different note, one time while grocery shopping, the kid threw a fit wanting a particular cereal. He swore it was his favorite, and that he always had it. We knew better, but bought it anyway. When the kid went to bed that night, I opened the bottom of the box, and replaced the cereal with dry dog food. I then glued it back up and put it back into the cabinet. In the morning, the kid poured it his bowl, gave a couple of smug looks, kinda like I'm in charge around here, and poured milk on it. Just as the first spoonful approached his lips, I dumped some dog food into a bowl and said that there was a remarkable resemblance between his cereal and dog food. I also inquired as to whether his cereal always looked like dog food. At this point he knew he had been had. I often wish I had waited until he had finished the bowl. Mike

trap
05-18-2002, 01:15 AM
Thrud:

You must be my brother-in-law.

60 hrs from retirement ....... looking foreward to meeting you

trap
05-18-2002, 01:23 AM
herb w: fishing is a great way to make a living if you can keep up with the gov regs and the cops away. It also helps if you are big, shoot straight, and good at lying.

Thrud
05-18-2002, 04:06 AM
Alistair
Dog Biscuits. Not bad. Taste better than Cornflakes and grapenuts. Grapenuts I have soked in milk for a day and they are still like chewing rocks.

Trap
Retirement is an oxymoron. Most guys bust their ass more after retiring than before - but with any luck it will be doing something you really enjoy doing. Peace brother.

Alistair Hosie
05-18-2002, 06:33 AM
Thrud (DOG BISCUITS )I thought I had it hard as a child poor old soul come over to your Pal big Al sometime and I'll make sure you get some Scottish steak on your plate Boy you need fillin up If I don;t hear from you within twenty four hours I'm contacting the red cross.Good grief doogy bikkies.well well! your sisters meatloaf must have been a sight for sore eyes.

Thrud
05-19-2002, 12:04 AM
Alistair
I ate them mostly to gross out the teacher - I had 3 partners in crime. If I had known they searched our lockers I would have put Cat-Nip in a baggie and hid it there for them to find...

Alistair Hosie
05-19-2002, 05:23 PM
Thrud you'ld better be careful admitting such things openly the F B I OR C I A might get wind then it'd be sing sing for poor old thrud.

Thrud
05-20-2002, 05:41 AM
Alistair
When I first got an Firarms Aquisition Certificate I had to go down to the Mounties and the Staff Sargeant ran a "rap" sheet on me. Jeezus Murphy, ten feet of paper blew out of that thing! I said "What the hell did I do?" The big guy turns, grins, and says, "Nothing, nothing at all." Bastard would not let me read it, said it had information on a "need to know" basis and it was none of my business. I bet they have my ass print in there - should have never have made those photocopies. I guess autographing them might have been too much. Leaving them under the wipers of cop cars was real funny. Oh, to be young and stupid again!

Alistair Hosie
05-20-2002, 04:08 PM
Thrud we may be older than we used to be that cannot be changed (outwith our control) but it doesn't mean we have to act old. There is no law says you can't be old and as you put it stupid, i'll never grow old in that direction (and proud of it) as I believe a bit of foolishness keeps you young I was acting the fool when I was young too so its in your genes you seem like a descent spud to me so keep being as stupid as you like it's legal.
Please note my new email address is ahos5@aol.com there was a cockup with my last address.long story o.k now though keep well buddy.Alistair

trap
05-26-2002, 01:25 AM
kachinkoo:

Spoken like a true yachtsman !!!!

Full of crap

no, i wasn't mistaken. I said what I meant.
i said how i capitalized on a bad situation which i did.

The inland and international rules do not mention the length of a boat when they describe the rules for naviagation. It is more of a "work related" issue.

mine sweepers have the no 1 right

commercial boats have no more "rights" than any other boats until they begin work.

i fish boats from 16ft to 85ft. they all operate off the same rules.

A row boat or canoe or sail boat under sail power has the right of way over my 85 footer. So does any boat approaching from my starboard side.

with over 3000 nights at sea, I'm not a master but i don't have to take a back seat to anyone.

In my original post I was talking about the river ...... a boat that takes miles to turn or stop will not make it to this part of the river. I know most of the tug boat captains that come by here. They have no problems stopping to pick up a free bucket of shrimp.

I am a commercial fisherman and am in communication with the tugs at least two hours before they get to my area via vhf radio.

When operating my 85 foot boat I still reduce speed when passing smaller boats, people clamming.

Thrud
05-26-2002, 07:38 PM
trap:
Me, I get the hell out of the way of anyone bigger than me - especically when they tote deck guns, torpedos, or F-15's. I am kinda chicken that way...

trap
05-27-2002, 12:09 AM
the first time I was stopped by the Coast Guard with their 115 ft boat they scared the crap out of me. They have big guns. When they board you they make everyone sit forward by the bow and keep guns pointed at you while they inspect the boat. I have been stopped and inspected so many times that these guys are like kin folk now. Still scares the crap out of me when they point that big gun at me.

Oso
05-27-2002, 09:22 AM
Alastair....
The tree-hugging folks here are always telling us about the high prices for gasoline over there. They use your pricing as evidence that the "real cost" is a lot higher, and claim we are getting a big discount.

Then there was an item in the paper that the natural price based on "cost" over there would be about US$1.20, which would be a bit over a Euro or an old UK pound. The rest was stated as taxes. This was immediately attacked as false, of course, as it was not politically correct.

Sounds like you are confirming it.

BTW, we pay about an extra 15% to 30% for taxes, and presently the total where I am is around US$1.45 for the lowest grade. Last year we were paying close to $2.00. Bet you didn't want to hear that.

Alistair Hosie
05-28-2002, 06:56 PM
Oso
there is no such thing as an old U.K. pound its just a pound which hovers around$1.50 U.S to £1.00 U.K The main reason why we pay so much is definately tax which most people are o.k with to a point but as I said last year the prices were rising almost every few weeks otherwise there is no reasom why we should be paying more than you its all down to tax we have a big green group who are trying to force people out of their cars and onto public transport however the public transport system here in the u.k is pretty fragmented and run down. To get it back in shape will take a long time butall the do-gooders want us out of the cars immediately, and are the government who are afraid of them are imposing extra large taxes, etc to achieve this end.Trouble is we are so used to our cars we dont want to.There have been a nuber of serious train crashes and people area bit anxious about being forced, until the system which as I say was rundown almost to extinction under thatcher is brought up to standards. I think the government have got the message when last year there was almost a riot at the cost of fuel being soared up in price what seemed like every time you went to fill your tank up public sympathy for conservation almost diminished completely and the people asked by the media on the streets were pretty unanimous in their verdict(this has got to stop)Alistair

Oso
05-28-2002, 11:02 PM
I thought you were all on the Euro??? That's what I meant by "old". Not like an "old franc" vs new.

Anyway, we have the same thing. Cities were set up by the urban planners to use cars. For instance I can drive to work in 15 minutes. (Bicycle takes 45 minutes if I arrive sweating and collapse)

To take public transport takes almost an hour, with a 2 mile walk (no fun in the snow, rain, etc). And no chance to run any errands on the way home, of course, just a straight proletarian slog home with the rest of the lemmings.

Where I used to live, they could get me to work by 7 Am if I started off at 4:30 AM, and tolerated a 1hour and 10 minute layover at a bus transfer stop in the middle of the highest crime area for miles around.

And I would stop driving exactly why?

And what about the folks out West in the US, 30 miles from anything? Bet those city-dwelling tree-huggers never thought of that.

Thrud
05-28-2002, 11:32 PM
Oso:
The times I have been in Vegas I nearly died laughing when I used their rapid transit (an oxymoron at best) - especailly when they pointed out how proud they are of being the best transit in the US. Good God - no wonder everyone drives! Ours suck, or at least that was what I thought until I experienced yours.

Here, you can bicycle to work almost as fast as driving. But I will say one thing, Americans know how to haul ass through town! (with cars)

I r jealous. Invade Alberta Soon! We have lots of oil...

Alistair Hosie
05-29-2002, 03:14 PM
We are not(u.K.) in the euro not converted yet I should say, but it will just be a matter of time (all the old farts dont want a note without the queens face on it something we did away with thank god years ago in Scotland)Alistair

mike thomas
05-29-2002, 06:52 PM
I have been riding a bike to work for a little over 7 years. I usually walk when the streets are slick, but will confess to driving upon occasion, often combining a trip for supplies with the trip to work. I often will see the same car on both sides of town as I peddle home, and if I include warm up time for the vehicle, it is quicker to ride the bike. It is 2 miles to work. Sometimes I do not buy gas for a couple of months. I have a difficult time understanding why others in this town drive as often as they do. I understand that not all locations are as convienient to bike in, however, often it is counterproductive to do so. Yet, I have known some to drive less than 2 blocks to work for 10-15 years. While I do not understand, I am not on a crusade, as this is just my little dig at the gas companies. Mike

CompositeEngr
05-30-2002, 01:35 PM
My opinion: Motorcycles combine the best of all options. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif
When I was going to the university, there was no better way to class, at least until the snows came. Bring some global warming this way, so I can ride all year round!
Easy to find parking by the door (thus cutting down on walking time from a car park), 50+ miles per gallon (more if I rolled off the throttle a bit--hehe), and nothing faster (always running late for the 8 am class).

And what a way to cut down on congestion! One person travelling in (on) a vehicle made to transport one person. Efficient, without a trade-off in power and acceleration.

My "other" theory reduces fuel consumption, traffic accidents, and congestion, all in one fell swoop: Take the driver's licenses away from the bottom 30% of drivers who are causing 70% of the problems. Can't pass a reasonable skills test that shows you won't be a menace to others? Then you get to walk.

mike thomas
05-30-2002, 02:24 PM
Tried the motorcycle thing. I had two problems with it. 1)By the time the panhead was warmed up, I coulda been there. 2) Only my right leg was getting execise. I was beginning to look like I had polio in the left. Mike

Oso
05-30-2002, 10:41 PM
You have never been to Taiwan.....Everyone there rides a motorbike, it seems, except the ones who drive a car. Easy to find 50 motorbikes at a red light at rush hour.

Trouble is the accidents. Some may be due to bad drivers of cars, but others are just stupid. I saw numerous accidents out the hotel window in the evening while I was there for a couple weeks. More during the day.

There is a whole small industry fixing up the people who get clobbered with new wooden legs etc, and converting motorbikes and Vespas so the disabled (by accidents) can ride them.

You probably don't want to go there.

Naturally, there is a lot of effect from the drivers of all sorts of vehicles. They think nothing of beating a traffic jam in the southbound lanes by pulling into the northbound ones and roaring away. But still.....

Thrud
05-31-2002, 03:44 AM
mike
Was that strong right leg from "flintstoning" the Harley at lights? &lt;har - har!&gt;

Gimme a hot nasty two stroke dirt bike - a little nitromethane and yank the throttle....

oops! Now I remember why I hate skooters - gravel angels

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 05-31-2002).]

mike thomas
05-31-2002, 02:05 PM
Thrud, Yep, I found that if I left it in gear while kicking it over, I could get 15mph out of it.
OSO, When I picked up my international drivers license for driving in the Orient, I was taught the main rule of the road was that a driver was responsible for hitting things. If your front end was not damaged in an accident, you were not responsible. Hence, you could drive like a maniac, and as long as the other drivers ran into you, you were in the right. That was a long time ago, and I still shake my head about it. Mike

Alistair Hosie
06-01-2002, 08:02 AM
Ever tried driving in mexico I once went to accapulco. A day spent driving there, or even just exploring all the vehicle faults (which include bald tyres no wings complete parts of the car are often missing) is better than a college education.We were told by the hotel rep that anyone seeing an accident should not pause but move quickly on, as you could (if they suspected you might want to leave the country, even to get back home)be kept in jail till the court case came up.Between that and the prolific dysentry I wont be back again .Alistair

trap
06-05-2002, 11:45 PM
Oso,

If you ever go back to Taiwan could you check out who makes what and for whom as far as lathes and mills go?

Oso
06-06-2002, 12:09 AM
I could try, if I have time, but I am not optimistic.

If I were fluent and literate in chinese, maybe. I learned enough to convince them that I had done my homework (they like that) and they could not be sure what I understood, so they had to be careful. Fluent I am NOT.

But, they take you to "their factory" and you get the tour of a nice facility. You like it, and are impressed.

What did you just see?

SOMEONE'S factory, yes. BUT, the folks showing it to you may own a half percent stake, or maybe they are just the brokers.
The small percent stake is very common, it makes you a "partner" when you trade some stock. But nobody assumes it gives any right to 'vote" on policy etc. Brokers come and go with prices.

So "their" factory could be almost anything.

Bottom line is there is no way to really tell, unless you read all the signs and listen to everyone.

Could you tell for sure who is the real owner or biggest customer of a factory here? Only if you chase the paper trail, which you probably will not get to do unless it is a publicly traded company. And you speak the language.

Crazy Ed
06-18-2002, 09:42 PM
Am actually Crazy Ed's wife. Ed died laughing and had to be revived with smelling salts and pizza. Hope this goes into the right thread. All computer newbie jokes R me. I have yet to meet a computer that I actually can use.

My Mom was such a bad cook, she was the only person I have ever met who could literally burn water. One rather deperate Xmas that I remember, she decided to serve Yorkshire Pudding and Baked Turkey to a crowd of over 30 V.I.P.s --- whereupon the turkey was discovered to be still frozen in the middle, and the pudding burnt. While I understand about the turkey, I have never figured out how in the world she managed to burn a boiled pudding with all the water that was still in the pot. Nobody else has either and it is still a great joke to threaten to have Mom "cook" the pudding if the kids aren't good.

When I begain cooking in self-defense, the family heaved a collective sigh of relief, and promptly elected me head cook at the age of six, pronoucing my Pasta with Chocolate Sauce, Marshmallow Chicken, Chocolate/Coconut Chili, and "deep-fried" Chocolate Chip Sour Dough Biscuits as at least edible if suffering from an overabundant use of oil, M&M's, marshmallows, flaked coconut, and an very overactive imagination. And yes, my father was very sorry for constantly complaining that my chili was too mild for a Texan. Once I got hold of those Chinese -read Hades hot- chili peppers, I never again had another such complaint. Ever. After only four bites, it took 4 beers and a gallon of milk to put his fire out. Dad had finally met a pepper that he couldn't eat.

Last I heard Mom was still trying to prove that she too could cook. She baked an old fashioned salted cod for her friends without soaking it first, and everyone was promptly pickled tossing back the beers trying to dilute the salt. Needless to say, none of the family were present. After 40 years, we know better.

LOL
Mrs. Crazy Ed

P.S. The crime is so bad here in the States, I was rather hoping Canada would invade.

Thrud
06-19-2002, 01:59 AM
Mrs. Ed:

Should we be calling your husband Mr. Ed now? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

We were going to invade, but found out our money was only worth half as much and the beer only had half as much alchohol in it. It forced us to cancel all plans of invasion because we would have had to buy four times the beer to get the same job done and there is not enough room in a pick up for two rednecks, steaks, BBQ, and four times the beer. And what if a hoser smoked, too? The other problem is that even though we have discovered the ultimate armour (my sisters meatloaf) - our best engineers and scientists have not been able to cut it or form it into armour plating for our pickups. Until this hurdle is cleared, our hosermobiles will not be indestructable and might get scratched or something in a parking lot.

Please note: We have not told the province of Quebec that any of this is taking place - lets keep it our little "secret", ok? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Crazy Ed
06-19-2002, 05:59 PM
Dear Thrud,

Hubby again died laughing, but was again successfully revived - this time with nitro, hotdogs and chips.

The steaks in Arizona are often "foil fried" in the summer without a BBQ (assuming we are NOT in the middle of a dust storm) on a plain piece of heavy duty foil pressed firmly down on a stretch of hot sticky asphalt in the shade. It is not recommended to fry eggs in this fashion for they are too apt to burn, or become rubbery from the high heat, but it does a fine job on everything else.

Water, beans etc. are easily boiled in a black pot in a solar cooker (i.e. the back window of your pick-up). Eggs baked in the cardboard box on the dashboard are a native specialty and are called, naturally enough, "Dashed Eggs".

That is when they aren't prolificly and soundly cursed by us housewives trying to get home at least seven liquid, unbroken eggs for our Angel Food Cakes.

Contrary to popular belief, nobody in the Wild Wild West wears a black hat, or black anything else, as that's a sure way to boil your brains in under 15 minutes flat, and/or to get a real weird looking skin burn, having cooked the meat under the skin. The single exception to this rule is Alice Cooper, and he's insane. Now you know why.

Invaders to Arizona in the summer are advised to entirely avoid unshaded black asphalt as the stuff becomes as sticky as flypaper, or lava, melting such items as tires, thick shoe soles, or flip-flops resulting in flat tires and burns on the feet(no lie); to avoid anything manufactured or bottled in Mexico unless the proof is higher than the ambiant air tempature in the shade, and to otherwise hibernate in the motel swimming pool, protected from the sun under a "space blanket", until winter or until acclimatized, whichever comes first. Usually winter.

Around here, kegs of beer are tied on the side of the pickup opposite to the jerry can of water and both are used for filling the radiator. Students, tourists and snowbirds flock to the micro-breweries after dark, grading those brews as vaguely "decent". Otherwise the beer and water are normally poisoned to kill the taste with this rot gut cactus juice called "tequilla", followed by chasers of Tabasco sauce, Jack Daniels, Everclear, and/or Moonshine to cleanse the palate. The local yokels are infamous jokers, soaking pieces of peyote in the tequilla, and then encouraging invaders to "eat the worm". Ladies and small men are well advised to stick to the cheap and abundant California wines to obtain all their liquids, served cold straight from the frige or iced ala champagne. Many California wines are far superior to the French, even when they don't have a cork, but don't tell anyone so the price stays down.

All in all, I still would prefer Canada to invade. My cat likes water better than I like snow. She at least plays with the stray sprinkles from the faucet, and gets her paws wet trying to catch fish from the fishbowl. I, on the other hand, won't even eat a snowcone, and regard sking as only slightly less dangerous than eating my Mom's cooking, or catching Ebola. Living in the stuff looks like it hurts. Does it?

LOL
Mrs. Ed

RE: Telling Quebec anything. They would first have to speak American. I am reliably told by the French that I don't speak English. And my French is so bad, the last time I was in France, even those cursedly stubborn nationalistic French speakers fled the field groaning in pain with their hands over their ears, or they broke down under the onslaught, trying to correct my American to something like the Hong Kong standard. Obviously they failed, but I was constantly reassured by them that it was quite alright if I never tried to speak their beautiful language ever again. Not having much use for French, this was fine by me. I spent most of my time in France visiting museums, wineries, and generally bouncing around, and never once had any trouble finding a bathroom, or getting anything else I wanted out of them. All I had to do was threaten to speak French.

Abysmal ignorance may be no excuse, but it sure does come in very handy sometimes.

Thrud
06-20-2002, 12:30 AM
Mrs. Crazy Ed:

Canadians are supposed to be bilingual. I am. I still attempt to master English but have mastered Cussing to a fine art form in true Canadian fashion. In case you are unaware, most slang and unconventional english - let's just call it what it is - swearing, is of Canadian Origin. I think it comes from high taxes and trying to start our cars in the winter.

When in University my English professor was stupid enough to say to us that we could write anything we wanted providing we brought a published dictionary to class. My first essay of "Midsummers Night Dream/Mare" by some lunatic annoyed me because I hate qaulitative essays. After all, what the hell do I know what was going on in that old coots head? That thing never made sense to me sober, and I can't write drunk - slurrrrrr myyy typppinnng.

In rebellion, I noticed on my shelf "Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English" by Ertic Partridge 8th. ed. (ISBN 0-02-594980-2). As a certified poo stirrer, I leapt into action.

It was the best F-----g essay ever! I hated that book and used every colorful expletive deletive I could find. I hand it in. I get a "Fail" - proudly announced in class by the leather skirted professor.

Bull****! I proclaimed. How dare you fail me on that paper. "It is full of filth." Yes, it is. Well written filth. And you said I could use any word to express my analysis. "I never did!" You said I had to bring a diction.. "Those words are not in the Dictionary!" Well they are in my Dictionary and I want a 9 out of nine. "Prove it! Out comes my Dictionary... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

My Mom was so proud of me "You really are a poo disturber!" Yeah, got it from you! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif

As far as cooking on asphalt - we avoid that here. We prefer barbeques. Whale fat, tastes better raw than cooked - but that is just personal prefence.

We only have roaches in Hotel kitchens and sometimes when the beer runs out. Did you know a roach can live for weeks with its head cut off? Explains how Canadian politics works - filthy roaches running around with their heads cut off. But at least our politicians don't get caught in comprimising situations - unless you think funneling money off to friends and family is illegal and wrong. Hell, we paid Brian Mulrooney 2.5 Million to not sue us for saying he "might" be under investigation for the "Airbus Scandal" - for legal fees of course (he is a lawyer). One million, hah, hah, hah, two million, count em, two million, hah, hah, hah... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//tongue.gif

And you wonder why Canadians are so laid back? Seen a cig package today - says in big letters "Children see, Children do". I always thought that was Monkeys - go figure. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Oops, forgot my point...

JCHannum
06-20-2002, 07:54 AM
On the subject of cooking on asphalt, dashboard etc. There is a cookbook written on cooking on automobile engine. You wrap things in aluminum foil, place on engine, and drive so many miles to cook.
Don't know if anyone else has tried it, I did it inadvertantly with neighbor's cat once. I must not have driven far enough though, it tasted terrible.

Sprocket
06-20-2002, 09:18 PM
Combine that with The Roadkill Cookbook and you'll have a real rolling feast!

Thrud
06-21-2002, 12:23 AM
JCHannum:
My dad used to bake potatoes (note Quayle/English spelling) for his lunch in the oil patch by wrapping in foil and placing in a cozy spot on the exhaust manifold. I don't know why he just did not put them on the treater house stack - those were toasty!

Had dog once - not as good as 'gator, buttered snails, or cleaned earthworms. I hates it when they is gritty... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

spope14
06-21-2002, 08:53 AM
Ate rattlesnake once or twice, good - tastes like rattlesnake. Love Crawdads, used to go to crawdad bakes - catch your own, eat them with Tabasco sauce (like everything else I eat anyway).

Never cooked anything but my hands on a car engine...

Alistair Hosie
06-21-2002, 01:24 PM
I once was treated to a kind of dry fish (looked like shag tobacco )came in a foil pack from Sri Lanka my Sri Lankan host made a kind of soup with it when he brought it in to the room I had to run out it litteraly took my breath away like amonia.Anyone heard of this fish.Alistair

Thrud
06-22-2002, 01:40 AM
Scott

If you like hot, boy do I have something for you. Most people gag when I remove the cap - ten feet away. The pure extract of what makes hot peppers hot. Don't ask how I got it - you cannot buy it. The tip of of a tooth pick in 2 gallons of mild chili and the Habanero guys are begging for mercy (he, he, he)... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

I still have enough for 2.8 million gallons of chili I figure. They would put 1 teaspoon in about 20,000 pounds of pork to make hot Itailan sausage.

spope14
06-23-2002, 04:12 PM
Not so much hot as I like Tabasco sauce. It is hot enough to wake you up in good measure, but also has a taste to it.

I once had these little chinese peppers in my garden. They grew to the size of a large pea. Got one off the plant, bit it, damn near convulsed. Bread, milk, water. Then out the other end.....

Ground a few dozen of these things up after they dried out in december, had to throw out the grinder (a cheap coffee grinder). Still have some of this mix, about 3/4 pound. I put about enough to make a pinch in salsa here when somebody brags about their ability to take the heat. This pinch is enough to suit me now.

Of course New Englanders are a bit wimpy when it comes to spicy food, must be that old puratin upbringing. All the "native food" is so bland here it is scary. Wallpaper paste has more flavor in some cases. My wife is a born and bread New England cook, thus the tabasco on everything.......

spope14
06-23-2002, 04:14 PM
OK, so what does this all have to do wih five whistles? I thought that meant "get out the Newcastle ale". I just let my phone ring five times for good measure, going out for Newcastles......or Sam Adams.....

Thrud
06-23-2002, 11:13 PM
Scott
The best Schezwan (SP) shredded beef I ever had was so hot the cook gagged cooking it, the people in the resturaunt (SP) started coughing and I nearly gagged when my nose was over it. But once we had it in our mouths - OH, JOY JOY, happy happy, joy joy! Yummers! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

The waitress later told us the Cook hated us for making him cry. We thanked him with a 40% tip and many wonderful comments about the outstanding food. They closed down after a guy was executed Chinese Mafia style in the mens washroom. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif

Dave

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 06-23-2002).]

Crazy Ed
06-26-2002, 12:45 AM
I have this friend who surely has stock in Avery Island, La. Back about 82 we were in San Diego and were staying in Chula Vista due to the hound being with us.

We decided to eat mexican food, being Sunday, we finally found one open within driving distance from the motel.

We got there about 45 minutes prior to closing and got seated. They brought out the chips and salsa. It was a yellow paste/slightly liquid stuff. I hit it first, and dipped only about 1/8 inch of a corner of a triangle shaped on. Short cut Mike tho, dipped in and got about half a teaspoon on his. While he was doing that I was quickly reaching for the water glass. Next thing I know I feel a tug on the bottom of my glass...it is Mikey and the look in those eyes!! I can drink Tabasco straight, with no water or whatever chaser, but that stuff....we didn't even finish that small bowl. And it was a 6 Rolaids night!

Ol' shortcut Mike was later out to dinner with me again and this time it was a Hunan style Chinese resturant. We ordered 'hot and sour soup' as an appetizer.. hehehehe he kept adding the little brown/red hot stuff. This stuff sneaks up. Pretty soon I noticed he was kinda twerling his spoon in the bowl. hehehe I asked him what was wrong. He was on his second refill of iced tea!! Some ppl never learn!!!!!! Except the hard way.

His nickname is for a hiking trip way back earlier... The mountain had about 7 switch backs at the head of a canyon, but he decided on the way down to take...yes, the short cut. Well, I was counting and he wasn't, at the last crossing he said he would see us in a few and headed off down the slope. Yes, that is where he returned from about an hour later after he dug all the leaves out and made foot holds, step by step. Could one of you teach him how to run a lathe??? I wouldn't wish that on Osama Bin Laden! hehehe.

Thrud
06-26-2002, 01:21 AM
Ed

Korean Killer Cabbage. First time I had it my bastard friend took the water away. having more brains than that, I had ordered papya juice in anticipation of Thai like fire. Two glasses were not enough. God, that stuff was hot! Ever since my butthead friends have been going for the "fire". Don't get me wrong, I like the zing of hot food, but I am more into the flavor aspect of the food and accentuating it through spices, not burning my gonads off!

They don't bug me about hot stuff anymore - not since I was given the pure extract (it would be several million Scovil units HOT). I fixed them good. I could not handle it, and I like juiced Habanero in my soups.

Dave (he, he, he!) http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
Remember Snagglepuss and his laugh?

Crazy Ed
06-27-2002, 10:03 PM
I love Korean Kimchi...good stuff...if you can get by the smell. Of course the only authinic KK I have ever had was on Okinawa, and that resturant was located right on the down wind side of one of their 'open sewage canals'. It didn't smell any better when bottled and brought back to base..hehehehe
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif