PDA

View Full Version : 45 cal. barrels

Martin
09-16-2002, 08:38 PM
While at a garage sale, this guy had two 45 cal. black powder octagon barrels for sale. They were both a little rusty inside and out.
I was wandering if those barrels could withstand the pressures of a regular 45 cal rimmed pistol cartridge ?
Thanks,
Martin

jr45acp
09-16-2002, 09:07 PM
Martin, I'm no ballistic expert, but I'd be concerned about chamber pressures. alternatively is using black powder or Pyrodex, it might work. I would avoid modern powders unless I could identify the manufacturer of the barrel and then contact them for their expert opinion.

JimWolford
09-16-2002, 09:55 PM
The steel in the barrels would be marginal for cartrige use, but the groove diameter and twist would be all wrong

Don't bother, much easier to buy the proper barrels.

Jim

Al Messer
09-17-2002, 09:02 AM
N.R.A. Manual lists average chamber pressure for .45 Auto Rim to be 16,900 c.u.p. Load with Pyrodex and cast lead bullets sized .001 over the size of the bore, lubed with Alox Liquid and don't wory about the twist, just have fun!!

docn8as
09-17-2002, 10:44 PM
those muzzle loading barrels can very easily be 1 in 48 ,or worse ,1 in 66...wont stabilise a cyllindrical bullet......
best wishes
docn8as

Martin
09-18-2002, 08:53 PM
Then why do sabots work so well in my muzzel loader ?
Those are a cylindrical bullet....
I'm not being a smart elic....I am seriously asking out of ignorance.
Thanks,
Martin

mike thomas
09-18-2002, 11:36 PM
Martin, they use different twists for different projectiles. So if those barrels were for round ball, they would be slower than for c...(damn brain farts, can't spell clyindrical) bullets. Modern muzzle loaders often use a compromise twist. Mike

Martin
09-19-2002, 08:58 PM
OH....thanks.
Now I get to really show my ignorance....
What is a "comprimise twist" ?

And by the way, the guy still has the barrels and gave me a call back.
I am suppose to go tomorrow and take a second look.
And in recalling when I looked at them the first time, I do remember a rather deep rifling.

Thanks,
Martin

Al Messer
09-19-2002, 11:09 PM
Martin,

What do you want to do with them? That has a great bearing on whether they would be suitable/safe or not.