PDA

View Full Version : HOMEMADE HEADER SYSTEM??

audrey
10-16-2002, 10:13 PM
i WANT TO BUILD A HEADER SYSTEM FOR A FOUR CYLINDER VW ENGINE. IT IS A HYBRID ENGINE TRANSPLANT. NO HEADER IS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FOR IT. ANY HINTS OR TIPS ON BUILDING A SYSTEM? I WILL BE USING A TWO INCH MILD STEEL TUBING. ANY HINTS ON BENDING THE TUBE AND JIGS WOULD BE GREATLY APPREACIATED. THANX AUDREY

chief
10-17-2002, 05:40 AM
Audrey,
Have you tried a custom pipe bending shop,
We used to make custom pipes for people, all
the shop was was Ford dealer with a pipe bender.
It's damn hard to bend pipe without kinking it unless you have the dies and a hydraulic bender.
There are many custom header builders who could ultimatley do it cheaper than you could yourself.

gramps
10-17-2002, 07:04 AM
Hi Audrey,
I built a few headers for race cars.
I bought an assortment of bends from a
header shop and pieced them together.
You need some extras to allow for boo boo's
It is a tedius job but is very satisfying
if you like that kind of stuff.
You will need a tig welder to do a good
job.
2 inch is pretty big for a VW engine.
Is it for racing?
If you want to discuss it Email me.
Dave (gramps)
ps: using all caps is shouting on Email http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

ponderingjunkman
10-17-2002, 07:20 AM
Headers By Ed. This guy should have every thing you need- even flanges to bolt to the engine. He sells mandrel bends of every description. He gives some technical info regarding tube size and length too. Go to headersbyed.com

JT
11-16-2002, 10:21 PM
Ron Covell sell what he call doughnuts that can be cut up to make tight corners www.covell.biz (http://www.covell.biz) jt

lunkenheimer
12-05-2002, 12:58 PM
You can sand-bend the tubes if you are determined to do it yourself. Fill the tubes with foundry sand (or DRY playground sand), plug, and heat with an oxyacet torch, mainly on the inside of the bend. The sand keeps the tubes from kinking at the bend.

I don't know how well this works on 2" tube, though, that's pretty big.

ShavingMaker
12-05-2002, 02:34 PM
Check out the thread in "General" titled "Mandrel Bends". Last post was 10-27-02. Lots of good info.