PDA

View Full Version : Truck Rack

audrey
06-15-2003, 11:45 AM
I need some good Ideas on how to build and mount a truck rack on my old Pickup Truck. 1986 Ford. It needs to be able to carry 20 foot long pieces of material. Thanx Audrey

wierdscience
06-15-2003, 12:58 PM
Just did that last week,I built a frame out of 2x2x.25"angle with the flanges turned out to fit three sides of the bed top rail then bolted through with 3/8"s/s bolts and welded the rack onto that I built it out of 1.25"x11ga.sq.tubing,I ran it out over the cab about 2'past the windsheild on a 90'ext cab ranger this gave me about 11'total length which has worked out good but it is limited to600#total or less,if I were going to carry more I would run it all the way foward and connect to the front bumper.One thing to think about is when you build it be sure and bow the top railsup on either end so when you load it and it deflects it will bear up on each end instead of in the middle lots safer that way.If you are in a cold climate either seal weld evert thing or drill weep hols to let rain/condensate out tube steel will split when it freezes you might want to consider making it removeable though, they tend to suck gas.

Locksmith
06-16-2003, 07:21 PM
I get catalogs for commercial truck equipment all the time and they sell this stuff ready made. Email me if you want info.

Thrud
06-17-2003, 02:49 AM
Audrey
Unless you want bent pieces use a flat deck trailer. It might also be illegal to haul it on a truck like you suggest - you may want to check with your state troopers.

I have seen side racks on 20' panel trucks that extend out from under the side of the box - these prevent the metal from bending. What these racks do not do is prevent forward movement of the material in emergency stops - very dangerous!

Weston Bye
06-17-2003, 12:44 PM
I made a rack for hauling 20' lengths of hydraulic tubing. Started with a 20'section of 4" sched 40 PVC tubing. Cap on front, connector and screw-in plug on back.

Made a couple of angle iron clamps that hooked right front fender, between hood and fender on top and highest part of fender above wheel on bottom. Same way in back except hooked over side of box and under highest part of fender above wheel. (does this make any sense?) The clamps were tightened with turnbuckles. Strips of rubber padded where the clamps touched the body of the truck to protect the paint. No holes were drilled in the vehicle. The PVC pipe was then clamped onto the angle iron clamps.

Course, the passenger door was rendered useless.

Wes