PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Kansas City area?

applescotty
09-19-2003, 07:08 PM
Looking for other home shop machinists in the Kansas City area to meet for coffee, show off projects, whatever.

IOWOLF
10-13-2003, 04:52 PM
OMAHA AREA HERE,
JAY

applescotty
10-14-2003, 12:40 PM
That's not too far. Was beginning to think that there was no one else around. What kind of work do you do?
I've been playing with a mini-lathe for about two years, and a drill-mill for about half a year. Haven't made much at all yet. Starting to look for more serious machines, but don't have the cash yet. I'd like to start on a simple steam engine soon, maybe one of Elmer's designs, so I don't have to buy another casting when I screw up! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

pgmrdan
10-25-2003, 10:06 PM

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 11-16-2003).]

jaybird
10-31-2003, 12:05 AM
I came though KC and Des Moines on my way home from Okalahoma City. After three weeks in OKC, Happiness truly was seeing KC and DSM in my rearview mirror

J

IOWOLF
11-07-2003, 12:28 PM
WELL, I started out with not much more than that. and moved on from a basement to a 30x40 steel shed, still dont make much money at it though, thats why the call it a hobby shop. if you get up this way i'll but you a cup of coffee or ?

applescotty
11-07-2003, 12:44 PM
Sounds good. If I'm ever planning on being up there, I'll drop you a line.

[This message has been edited by applescotty (edited 11-07-2003).]

truckymedic
12-11-2003, 11:28 AM
Hey, I'm in the KC area! Wassup?

applescotty
12-16-2003, 04:11 PM
truckymedic,
Good to hear from you! What kind of machining do you do? I see from your profile that it's not your profession.

vhenke
01-11-2004, 09:50 PM
I am in the KC area but a true beginner and am a reader with a small lathe. Be glad to meet you hawever and have a cup.

[This message has been edited by vhenke (edited 01-11-2004).]

applescotty
01-12-2004, 06:49 PM
vhenke,
Good to hear from you. I've had my lathe for about two years, but I'm definitely still a beginner. There's one other person, at least, in the KC area that I've been chatting with, although we haven't met. Perhaps it would be good for all of us to meet.

applescotty

irnsrgn
01-31-2004, 09:34 PM
Hi, applescotty, I am half way between KC and Omaha, Am a fulltime blacksmith, I do blacksmithing, machining and welding, this will be my 53rd year at this, am a 3rd generation smith, kinda like a time trip to the past walking into my shop tho.

[This message has been edited by irnsrgn (edited 01-31-2004).]

vinito
03-25-2004, 01:19 AM
applescotty,
I don't know if you are still visiting this forum, but this might revive it a bit. I recently escaped a corporate bureacracy disguised as a manufacturing plant. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif In my new-found freedom I've been considering getting my own business going, but for now I am still getting the shop put together. One of these days I want to use it to make something not entirely useful that would illustrate what I'm building in there. You know, something I don't give back to a customer when I'm done. Hell, maybe even something that would look nice on a shelf - I mean according to people other than myself.

I still can't seem to figure out how to slow down and smell the roses, but I'm working on that and I'd be into corresponding from time to time. And I've been known to drink a pot of coffee now and then. I'd be glad to share some ideas.

vinito

applescotty
04-05-2004, 10:18 PM
irnsrgn,
Sorry it's taken so long to reply. Sounds like you've got an interesting setup. Might have to make a trip up some time to see the place, if you're open to visitors.
applescotty

bobhdus
04-09-2004, 03:38 PM
Hi Applescotty, I am not sure what your real name is
but I wanted to respond to your entry. Your question was if there
was anyone that lived in the KC area. I live in
Liberty. I have a Smithy 3 in 1 and I also have a
welder. I work in a Maintenance dept as Machine Repair. I love Machining
and welding but have no one else outside of work to
work on projects or ideas with. Give me a call
sometime. We can swap stories ideas or projects info.
I work 3rd shift. I leave at 9:50 p.m.and work to
7a.m. I have been working 7 days a week for the last 3
weeks and will be doing so the next 3 weeks. My name
is Bob. I tried to send you an email but it did not go through. e-mail me at bobhdus@yahoo.com. I will give you my phone # when you reply.
Talk to you later.

bobhdus
11-03-2009, 02:53 PM
I know a few Teegartens. Are you any relation to Rusty Teegarden?

Hey, I'm in the KC area! Wassup?

smalltime
11-07-2009, 08:41 AM
Hey All, Newbee alert!
I'm out here in Blue Springs. Been in the trade for 30 yrs or so.

vettebob
11-15-2009, 02:13 AM
I'm new at machining and Live in Blue Springs as well.I have grizzly 10x22 and a X2 mini mill which I am learning to use. my e-mail is rgoslin@sbcglobal.net if you send me a e-mail I'll give you my phone number.

Metalshaper
12-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Hi guys,

Metalshaper here,, and in the KC area. I'm a newbie to the board and groups. I am a true hobby guy, mostly trying to learn on my own. My main two machine tools are a 1960's version of the Sears Craftsman metal lathe ( 6 X 12, AA -109 ) and a Cummings version of the Sieg X2 mini mill, R8 spindle.

I hang out in the gun smith section, as my interest in machining involves making parts for my Black Powder guns. if you want to see what i do?. look in that section, under the topic Newwbie.. that was my introductory post..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

KDuffy
12-15-2009, 10:03 PM
90 miles SW of KC. Much the same interest in machining and muzzle loading.

Metalshaper
12-19-2009, 01:11 PM
90 miles SW of KC. Much the same interest in machining and muzzle loading.

Duffy,

Hi there!

Spent some time in and out of that area growing up!< 1973-84> My Dad was the Methodist Minister in Humboldt for about 9 yrs and I was there an additional 2-3 after high school.. < working for the City of >

Got my introduction to BP at about 16,, when a buddy showed up at my house with a CVA Kentucky rifle! Been HOOKED ever since!!

I would certainly be interested in seeing your efforts,, to machining and gun work??

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

wgb_ks
01-13-2010, 12:41 AM
Not sure if this post is dead or not. But I live in Lenexa and have a home shop in my garage - lathe, mill, surface grinder, bandsaw, welders etc... Currently not working on anything big, not enough time in the day.

WGB

KDuffy
01-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Yep, still watching from time to time. Looking at my 40x60 flat rock and pile of iron that sets beside it. Need some cooperative weather to get it up and tools moved home.

gt2ride
01-23-2010, 09:02 PM
I am still in Leavenworth making model steam engines. Also working on the lathe collection. The latest is a 10L southbend . It is in good shape .runs real quite. Makes me want to ck out some of the others to see why they are making noise.

glen1942
01-25-2010, 03:45 PM
i am in stella ne, 60 miles west of st joe, looking for people to chat with and excuses to drive to ks city. i am looking for millling machine. have older wade lathe american made, ko lee and misc tooling. out growing two car garage. pistol smith, gunhmaker, 1885 win hi wall, remington rolling block. gat gun. like to make hit and miss engine or steam engine.

Toolguy
01-26-2010, 10:36 AM
I am still in Leavenworth making model steam engines. Also working on the lathe collection. The latest is a 10L southbend . It is in good shape .runs real quite. Makes me want to ck out some of the others to see why they are making noise.

Hi Guys!
I just found this forum. I'm in Lenexa, KS west of Kansas City just south of Leavenworth on Hiway 7 and 83rd. I have a home shop operation, just me. It would be kind of nice to meet some area people who share the same interests.
You all are welcome to come by and visit sometime, call first to make sure I'll
be here. I'm the gofer as well as CEO. The number is 913-422-8966. Sometimes
I'll have to keep working while we talk, but if you need help with something I can give advice. I've been a Tool & Die maker for over 30 years. If you call, say
you found me on HSM so I know who you are. Best Regards - Toolguy

zhaddock
01-29-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm in Shawnee. Very small one car garage workspace where I'm rebuilding an old atlas lathe that belonged to my grandfather.