PDA

View Full Version : US Library of Congress Seeking Oral Histories of Vets

Tuckerfan
12-17-2002, 11:40 PM
While not directly related to cutting metal, I thought that this was interesting and important enough to post here, especially since I'm sure several of our posters are vets or aided in the war efforts.

The US Library of Congress wants to hear from veterans of any war. They're working on creating a massive library of oral histories of vets (and civilians who worked for the US military during wartime), so that future generations can have a better understanding of what the men and women who served our country had to endure. You can find guidlines for how to help with this project here: http://www.loc.gov/folklife/vets/

Eutecticbob
12-18-2002, 12:19 AM
Tuckerfan,

HEY!! Thanks!! I will pass this on to my AF friends... I was at basic training when the Gulf War came to its end... so I won't do this as I did not participate. My friends on the other hand did go through the experience and would have something to say.

Thanks again!

Ebob

docsteve66
12-18-2002, 10:24 AM
Thanks Tuckerfan: Some of us who worked the wars as civilians were talking about composing a history for the kids.

Sort of a "where the hell were you when we were......" and "you tell your lie and the rest of us will swear to it or put you back on the right track". The questions asked at the link make a good starting point even if we don't want to haveour notes made public. Its aslo a good outline for ANYONE who wants to start a family history.
Thanks Bud, some thing may come of you posting. I sure was not in the mood to aimlessly bring up old stories just to rember those times. Thanks again
Steve

Rustybolt
12-18-2002, 11:13 AM
Too late. My father tested aircraft engines for the NACA was also involved with testing pulse jet engines. I wish I still had some of his documentation. He passed away in 1986

My father in law was a radioman on a B24.Who flew all his missions in the same plane they flew over to england in and then flew it back home. Alas he too is no longer living.

docsteve66
12-19-2002, 11:03 AM
Rusty: When a old man dies its like a libary has burned down. you can't read those books now.

I do regret not having saved more of the past of my family.

Had a great uncle, I listened in awe to his shoot'em up stories about when he was a lawman in New Mexico around 1900. Dad and my uncle called them "uncle george's windys".
When Unk G was dying in Calif, there was a famous law man dying in New Mex. Unk G asked the my uncle stop by hosptial, say hi from George Bains and see if thefamous one had any word to send back. Unk AR promised, next trip he would. Promise being a promise, he stopped. Nurse delived the message, Famous one wanted to see AR. Poor old AR had to hear several of the stories again. Funny thing was, Several of UnK G's tales were told by george where george was a a by stander. Famous one credited Geroge with being the active one, and told more stories about what the two of them had done. I saw AR many times afterwards but never saw Geoerge again.

Someday, sould unk G and I be togther, I am gonna trick him into telling about when he was trailing some outlaws (which then meant wanted dead or alive) through the snow all night, they waited for the outlaws to wake, rise andshine. The famous one says "boys don't shoot the men shoot the horses , then they are helpless. Take your positions, and I will give them warning, then you shoot immediately"> Famous one waits then announces loudly "Men, throw your guns to the ground, for if you don't I shall surely kill you all". All horses dead, men surrendered and weretired. I am gonna listen and say Uncle G you are a liar!!! The famous one was not even there! He told AR that it was you and crew from a local ranch. and that you stayed awake several days getting the outlaws to jail, for they were waiting for you to sleep and jump you.
Then I am gonna tell him a few lies of my own http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif.

Treasure those family tales. they may be sanitized or wrongly credited, but those days will not come again, ever

lynnl
12-19-2002, 01:17 PM
Steve, I'd sure like to hang around you awhile. I suspect you would be very entertaining to listen to.

As I've gotten older I've come to appreciate what a wonderful gift it is to be a good storyteller (which I'm not). One guy I work with is tho. He is absolutely fascinating to listen to, regardless of the story he's telling. And most of it is just contemporary, every day events, that told by most anyone else would simply be boring!

What I'd most like is to be able to entertain my two grandchildren with stories. I sometimes try to concoct a tale for them. But kids, especially young ones, really enjoy stories about real life events, no matter how mundane or ordinary the subject.

Lynn

docsteve66
12-19-2002, 04:20 PM
TY Lynn. For kids and grand kids: When traveling some times I start a story- maybe about the the cow in a field, an intersting person we pass, old car- waht ever. The rule is who ever starts the story gets the object into some jam of somesort then passes the story on to the next person who must continue the "thread" (good a name as any thing) and get the object out of trouble and back into trouble (maybe the object changes after the first object gets out of trouble). For example- the old car breaks down, man sees tool in field and fixes car but cow now chases man. I got them started, umpired, and let them go one. Kids passed time very well, my wife was the one who tried to "sneak out" by not being logical. It takes a little time to let the kids learn to let their imaginations RIP!!!!. TV is boring to kids who (mine any way) can make up wild tales and swap stories on the spur of the moment.