PDA

View Full Version : Graphite for pistons

jkinnan
03-09-2001, 09:06 PM
I am interested in locating/purchasing a soft, lubricating-"slick" grade of graphite bar stock (.75" Dia.) that would be suitable for making pistons. These pistons are for atmospheric engines and the material must be thermally stable and have a lubricating quality. These engines a made by students in the Machine Tool Technology classes I teach at a local community college.

Thank you for any assistance you can give.

------------------
Jerry

MikeHenry
03-10-2001, 06:28 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jkinnan:
I am interested in locating/purchasing a soft, lubricating-"slick" grade of graphite bar stock (.75" Dia.) that would be suitable for making pistons. These pistons are for atmospheric engines and the material must be thermally stable and have a lubricating quality. These engines a made by students in the Machine Tool Technology classes I teach at a local community college.

Thank you for any assistance you can give.

</font>

There are probably lots of sources but try contacting Jerry Howell. His web site is at http://www.jerry-howell.com/ and he sells plans for several interesting model engines as well as "hard-to-find" parts kits for same. I'm pretty sure that he sells small graphite rods in those kits and may be able to advise you on a source.

------------------
Mike Henry in Batavia, IL

jimcgreen
03-12-2001, 11:48 AM
Take a look at
http://www.fortunepaint.com/aerocon_interim/aerocon.htm
They have quite a bit of graphite. I have done business with them in the past and have always had good results.

Jim

Ken S
03-31-2001, 09:54 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jkinnan:
[B]I am interested in locating/purchasing a soft, lubricating-"slick" grade of graphite bar stock (.75" Dia.) that would be suitable for making pistons. Thank you for any assistance you can give.

The source I use is National Specialty Products at (800)-677-6322. They have rods in a large variety of sizes. I use them for pistons in Stirling engines that I make. The only problem might be is that they have a $50.00 minimum (thats a lot of graphite!)
Ken