PDA

View Full Version : SBL crosslide question

Art
05-08-2001, 02:06 PM
While looking through March/April 1999 HSM I came across an article (p28) “A Lathe Tool Post Grinder for Serious Grinding". In the pictures there appears to be a SB 9” with an extended flat cross slide with T slots. Where can I get one, or did any one write an article on how to build one?

MikeHenry
05-08-2001, 10:53 PM
Haven't looked at the article, but perhaps it was one of the MLA accessories. They sell various castings for South Bend and some for Atlas/Craftsman lathes.

Web site is: http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/

Mike Henry in Batavia, IL

SGW
05-09-2001, 06:18 AM
Yep, most likely one of Metal Lathe Accessories' casting kits. I made one -- it's good. The casting is top quality, the price is reasonable, and it's not too difficult to make.
Aside from the benefits of the T-slots, I find that the cross slide is a lot more solid because the ways are about twice as long as on the regular cross slide.

MikeHenry
05-09-2001, 08:14 PM
I've been interested in getting a cross slide casting for my Craftsman 12x36 but they've been out of stock for quite a while.

I do have their die filer kit but the castings have been aging for a little over a year now. It does look lioke a nice set of castings, though.