PDA

View Full Version : Chuck removal-Lodge & Shipley lathe

Harry J. Dolan
03-10-2001, 10:16 PM
I have a 14" Lodge & Shipley engine lathe Model A-14, serial No. 30046 with a "L" taper spindle. The chuck is retained on the spindle by a large coller with right hand internal treads. I have both the parts and service manual for this machine, but niether say anything about chuck removal. Does anyone have any knowledge of how this coller is retained or suggestions for loosening it to remove the chuck.

Daubie
03-18-2001, 12:39 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Harry J. Dolan:
I have a 14" Lodge & Shipley engine lathe Model A-14, serial No. 30046 with a "L" taper spindle. The chuck is retained on the spindle by a large coller with right hand internal treads. I have both the parts and service manual for this machine, but niether say anything about chuck removal. Does anyone have any knowledge of how this coller is retained or suggestions for loosening it to remove the chuck.</font>

It sounds like you have a similar chuck like a WW2 era 18" swing LeBlond, I ran in a maintenance shop 15 years ago. UNPLUG your machine!! I used a spanner wrench designed to fit the collar. I put wrench on top of collar, handle to front, and horizontal. I gave it a good whack with a rubber dead blow hammer to loosen it. Before you do that put plywood over your ways to cover them extended out beyond end of chuck in case it falls so not to damage ways. On top of plywood put wood block shims right up to under the chuck, snug for support. The LeBlond lathe chuck weighed 150 pounds! I don't know what you have. Some guys use an overhead crane and rig the chuck to be hoisted off once loosened.
All that holds the chuck on is a male taper, with a male key on the spindle, snugged in position with that threaded collar. When you whack the collar with the hammer, the taper will probably still be tight similar to a morse taper drill shank. You will probably need to whack the chuck with rubber dead blow hammer to break it free. The collar should just be loosened a smidge, not backed off completely because once you break the chuck free of the taper on the lathe spindle, the collar is all that is holding the weight of the chuck. The reason for the wood blocking shims is to catch the chuck and hold it's weight when you back the treaded collar off completely. On the LeBlond, it was all bull work to get the chuck off. I actually squatted on the ways. I used a lift die cart to get the chuck off the ways/lathe bed on to the cart, then down to floor or in your case maybe a shelf. You can e-mail me if I am not clear enough for you and you need further help or maybe a landline phone call may be better. Let me know how you make out.

------------------

Kurt
{:{)

[This message has been edited by Daubie (edited 03-18-2001).]

Ben Shank
03-26-2001, 12:35 AM
I have a 1942 16" Lodge and Shipley and it has the same collar you discribe remove the chuck, I plan on a small crane next to my lathe to pick up the chuck and load heavy parts, since they will have to be loaded from the back.

artificer in metal
05-21-2001, 11:29 PM
We have small jib boom chain hoists at all the machines at work - makes chuck changes much easier (and safer!!!!).

I saw a neat (read cheap) idea for a jib boom crane if you are interested - just email me!