PDA

View Full Version : Bench Height

willjordan
09-29-2001, 01:23 PM
I brought my Maximat V10 home last night and need to build a bench for it. Is there some rule of thumb for bench hieght?

As a blacksmith, I set my anvil so its top is height enough that I just touch it with the knuckles of my fist.

I'm guessing that I want my forearm to drop only slightly when turning the carriage crank. I am short, 5-6, and I have found lathes that were clearly to high for me to work at comfortably.

I suppose that I'll also have to take into consideration the mill height as well.

I'd appreciate any advice.

------------------
grace & peace
will

halfnut
09-30-2001, 05:15 AM
Will,

Sounds like you have it figured out about right. A carriage hand wheel that is too low is a pain in the back and shoulders, put it where it is comfortable.

As you said an anvil should be knuckle high, and a work bench should be so that the top of the vice you are mounting is elbow high. I have seen some very out of proportion workbenches, one fellow I know who is about my height has one so tall that I would have to stand on a box to use it.

I have worked with some short fellows who used a wooden riser, it also kept them out of the chips and helped the feet. Something to consider.

Thrud
09-30-2001, 01:32 PM
Build your bench to the height you feel comfortable with - you can always lower or raise it later as you get used to the machine.

Watchmakers/jewellers like to have a high bench as they generally workwith their arms up near their heads scrunched over the work. Generally, the more precise the work involved the closer you need to be near it

Ron LaDow
10-06-2001, 05:52 PM
W/J,
I built my lathe bench 35" high, for the absolute worst reason; to get storage underneath.
Turns out, it's just the right height with a 10-24 lathe on top. I tend to 'look' a lot while I'm working, and the cut is right there in front of me without constantly bending over.

SGW
10-06-2001, 08:54 PM
You've got the right idea. For starters, put the carriage handwheel at the height of your elbow, so your forearm is parallel to the floor when you're turning the handwheel. You may want to adjust slightly after you use it a while. If it's too low, you'll hunch over, and after a couple hours of that your lower back will let you know it doesn't like it.