PDA

View Full Version : oil for air tools

hms50
10-06-2001, 11:33 AM
Hi Guys!

I love this board! Any advice for a good oil to use in a Norgren air lubricator? I have a small (2hp) compressor in my shop and use a few small air tools: 3/8 drive ratchet wrench,die grinder, sander ect.

Thanks
hms50

------------------
hms

parkerdjte
10-06-2001, 01:10 PM
You might try Marvel Mystery Oil, I use it in my air tools at the lab where I work and it seems to do fine for us. I believe there is a air tool oil sold by air tool outlets also but I have not used it. We run die grinders all day long at times and a few drops a couple times a day has kept the grinders and belt sanders going for quite a while now, one of the best tips was to keep the tool you are not using far enough away from the dust or chips that they do not get into the intake of the air tool and wear out the "motor" prematurely. If you are using small die grinder type tools with a right angle drive make sure to grease the gears once in awhile, the higher priced ones last a lot longer than the cheaper ones as you might have guessed. Best of luck, Don

Thrud
10-07-2001, 02:48 AM
HMS,

Most airtool oils have some silione in it and using them around painting surfaces requires proper cleaning before application of paint or "fish eye" appears in the finish. This applies to wood or metal.

Most of the air tool oil sold today is just repackaged ATF. It is not the best choice for air tools. An ISO 39 (20 weight) Synthetic Non-Detergent rotary air compressor oil is a better choice. Do not use motor oil in your compressor or air tools. If you use a synthetic you will get more power, less wear, and less gumming.

You should intall a manifold so you have clean air for your blowgun and another outlet for the lubricator.

Never drop your quick disconnect to the floor - they have a habit of blowing off the hose end when you do that - then all hell breaks loose!

Dave

hms50
10-08-2001, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the advice! I'll try ti avoid dropping air tools, I don't need any extra hell!!
hms50