PDA

View Full Version : drill chuck repair

dale newcom
09-26-2001, 08:07 PM
recently purchased a used ALBRECHT drill chuck. #130 1/32 to 1/2 inch cap. it was well used and i would like to diassemble and clean and lube. does anyone out there know how it comes apart? have taken JACOBS chucks apart but this one is different.
thanks for any and all help
d.c.newcom

Thrud
09-26-2001, 10:42 PM
Dale,

You can buy a repair kit for the Jacobs or Albrecht chucks - they come with instructions for your specific chuck. They used to have the instructions in their catalog - it is best to wait until you have the rebuild kit in your hands. You may also have to fabricate some sleeves and punches and a press is required on some models of chucks to disassemble and reassemble.

The repair kits have orings, snap rings, bearings, and jaws. Everything that can or does wear out in them. Some of the new Albrecht chucks have a film of Diamond on the jaws to give a super grip on carbide tools - these jaws MAY be available in a rebuild kit.

You could check their website, but I am unsure of its address now as I only use LFA and Rohm chucks now. When you take it apart I would use a high quality synthetic Lithium Grease to lube it. have fun

Dave

halfnut
09-27-2001, 05:03 AM
Dale,

I think, I repeat I think, that they screw apart. I haven't had an Albriecht apart, but have had a Jacobs keyless, a Cushman keyless, and a ? german made keyless apart, and the front nose screwed off.

Maybe someone else will pop in here and confirm.

Good luck, procede carefully.

SGW
09-27-2001, 07:27 AM
In one of Guy Lautard's "Machinist Bedside Reader" series, he gives chapter and verse of how to disassemble an Albrecht chuck. It's non-obvious, and Guy's writeup of how to do it is really good. He gives even more detail than the Albrecht directions. He's got a website, and a query to him would undoubtedly let you know which volume of the series it's in.

[This message has been edited by SGW (edited 09-27-2001).]

Thrud
09-27-2001, 07:17 PM
Guy Lautard's site is www.lautard.com (http://www.lautard.com)
His books are a great read, and he does have kits and other stuff for sale. He sells Myford lathes, mills, and all the other Myford goodies in Canada as well.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 09-27-2001).]

halfnut
09-28-2001, 07:17 AM
Shucks, nobody would confirm my statement about how it comes apart.

I got my albrecht chuck out of my toolbox tonight, also my 10x glass, yes I think the nose unscrews, germans did a good job on these things, have to look really hard to see where it goes together at edge of Knurl.

Other chucks I have worked on I didn't worry if I left a scuff mark, but on an Albrecht, them things are a work of art, 2 sets of chain vice grips is how I would try it. And then pad with something, leather maybe.

Good luck again, be careful.

dale newcom
10-04-2001, 12:42 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dale newcom:
recently purchased a used ALBRECHT drill chuck. #130 1/32 to 1/2 inch cap. it was well used and i would like to diassemble and clean and lube. does anyone out there know how it comes apart? have taken JACOBS chucks apart but this one is different.
thanks for any and all help
d.c.newcom</font>

dale newcom
10-04-2001, 12:51 PM
re. drill chuck repair.
thanks to one and all who took the time to
advise for the albrecht drill chuck repair.still have not found anyone who has actually done this task so maybe this says something as to the relability of this chuck. it does work just fine but just wanted to put a little p m on it. thanks again.
d c newcom

BrianH
10-06-2001, 10:45 PM
Dale,
The hood screws to the body at the shell, just behide the knurl (you can't see it, but its there). The big problem is that its tighter than hell, and there isn't a lot to grab on to. Don't use anything metal-you'll tear up the chuck. Back when I did this, I put some aluminum soft jaws that were bored close to the shell size on a lathe chuck, so you can put a real tight hold on the body; grab the hood with a 2 inch strap wrench (take the collar off first, its just on there with tention and one screw). Once you unscrew the hood, you'll find the jaws just slide into guided slots.....you'll figure it out......its a very simple mechanism.....just go slow and spend time looking at everything. If you buy new jaws, they just drop right in. All of the Albrecht parts can be replaced.

Hope this helps.

b

Thrud
10-07-2001, 01:54 AM
Remember to number the jaws and slots to make sure it goes back together properly. Which jaw is first engaged in the scroll is another matter.

I would get in touch with Albrecht and get proper dis/reassembly instructions. It would be a shame to lose a good chuck because you could not wait for the factory procedures.

I had a Jacobs catalog and it had these instructions in it.

Dave

halfnut
10-07-2001, 05:14 AM
Glad someone popped in here to agree with me, thanks Brian. Last keyless I had apart was a Jacobs, reground the jaws on it, came out close, not perfect, better than it was and I have an Albreich in my box for closer small work.

Putting jaws back in same place might be best, they don't have scroll teeth on them, they are pushed against tapered nose piece to tighten. Might put match mark on 2 parts that unscrew so you will tighten the same amount when reassembling.

Good luck

dale newcom
10-15-2001, 11:40 PM
thanks to everyone for the info. re. the albrecht chuck repair. i did get it apart and it only required cleaning and minor polishing. so thanks again for all the advice.
d.c. newcom