PDA

View Full Version : Any Grizzly G4003 owners, comments?

Paul H
10-15-2001, 12:42 PM
I'm seriously considering purchasing a G4003, but would like to get some feedback from owners. I know the drawbacks of the import machines, but was wondering if there were any major problems folks had with these machines.

GregR
10-15-2001, 01:55 PM
I have been trying to decide between the G4016 and G9036 from Grizzly. Have you looked at the Enco Lathes? I think the nearest equivalent to G4003 is the AM110-2078 from Enco. For some reason the Enco has twice as many speeds as the Grizzly.

Greg

Paul H
10-15-2001, 02:37 PM
Greg,

I've looked at Enco tools as well, but I've never been pleased with Enco's customer service, though perhaps that has changed with their reorginazation.

I have been pleased with Grizzly, my last order included a 6" X 18 1/2" cross table, that had been dropped in trasport. Instead of using the same shipper, they mailed a replacement, and living in Alaska, the shipping came to ~$80, on a $120 item. Grizzly also has an advantage for shipping heavy stuff, as their Bellingham office is just a few day barge trip to Anchorage, so that is further savings to me.

Tough choice between those lathes, have they been able to tell you the differences between the two? I think depending on how much work I do, I may consider upgrading to a G9730 in the future.

JIM DEWOLF
10-16-2001, 02:47 PM
Paul,
I don't know if this is any help but for what it's worth, I have the exact same machine purchaced from a Vancouver dealer. Have had it about 3 years now and love it dearly. The camlock spindle is a must. It came with a complete Quality inspection report and it is a very acurate little machine. Both chucks are good quality. There are plenty of speeds, all you realy need. My machine has 2 speed belt arrangement but I have never ysed the high range. I have done lots of work withit and find that it has held it's accuracy 100%.
For a new machine, I could not find a better deal. I've runn lots of old machines and have had enough of that. I went To Grizzly and looked at that unit so I know it came frome the same factory.
Jim