PDA

View Full Version : Shim stock?

rmatel
10-29-2001, 08:21 PM
Does anyone know an inexpensive source of shim stock. I discovered that my 3 in 1 mill head was sagging. I was able to correct the problem with layers of aluminum foil but I expect that stuff will eventually "flow" with the stress. I need something in the order of .002"

Paul H
10-29-2001, 08:34 PM
Depending on what size of shim you need, you might find a cheap feeler gauge to be the best source of hardened shim stock, in a variety of sizes.

Randy
10-29-2001, 08:59 PM
I wouldn't worry about shims "flowing." Even paper often makes adequae shims. Hardware stores carry brass shim stock in small qty's, the bigger ones have stainless steel as well.

snorman
10-29-2001, 09:44 PM
Yep, if it's OK now, I'd leave it alone.
I bought the brass shim stock assortment from Travers a couple years ago and it has worked out well for me. .001 or .002 up to .031 in 6x12 sheets. Somewhere around $20.

Steve

[This message has been edited by snorman (edited 10-29-2001).]

SGW
10-30-2001, 09:17 AM
Yeah, the "shim assortment" from Travers, or MSC, or Reid Tool, or any number of other places is probably the most reasonable way to go.

I agree with Randy and others though; I don't think you need to worry about the aluminum "flowing" on you, and if it's okay now, leave it alone.

rmatel
10-30-2001, 05:59 PM
Ok, thanx. I'll leave it alone but keep an eye on it.

Thrud
10-30-2001, 11:06 PM
Rmatel,

You will not need to worry about the foil compressing - you would need around 50Tons of pressure to really damage it.

One thing you should be aware of is electro-chemical corrosion with the dissimilar metals over a period of time. It is not really critical in your application, but you should know about it. The easiest way to prevent this in your case is a small amount of Zinc (a sacrificial anode) in with the Aluminum.

Just thought you may want to know about it.

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 10-30-2001).]

spkrman15
11-05-2001, 01:00 PM
One place here that sells shim stock is GBS (general bearing service). Another bearing place would probably have it. I price out one of those shim stock kits that snorman was talking about. It was 350.00 cdn at GBS. So the paper things sounds good to me

Spkrman

SGW
11-05-2001, 04:28 PM
Good grief! MSC has a 12-pc steel shim stock assortment of thicknesses from 0.001" to 0.015" for about 20 bucks.

docn8as
11-05-2001, 08:33 PM
razor blades used to be .003to.0045 depending on brand!
best wishes
docn8as

snorman
11-05-2001, 09:13 PM
Spkrman, you need to get one of those Travers catalogs. Or any good tool supplier will do. They're good for a reference if nothing else. Lots of nice pics of all tools so you can see at a glance what people are referring to. Travers is good if you want to order too. I think you can order a big catalog online at www.travers.com. (http://www.travers.com.) Probably the same for other tool suppliers.

Thrud
11-06-2001, 02:08 AM
Gents,

In Canada, KBC is cheaper than Travers new 2002 Canadian catalog (for now). Other Suppliers are Kennametal, Sowa Tool (my Fav - great guys)- aka STM, Thomas Skinner & sons and many others - just check the yellow pages.

KBC has ALWAYS screwed my order up somehow.

I get most of my goodies from Thomas Skinner. I get good pricing and outstanding service.

If you want to buy US side do check www.thomasregister.com (http://www.thomasregister.com) for the best suppliers.

Dave

I have purchased brass and copper sheet in crafts and hobby stores cheaper than some tooling suppliers. Always look for the same for less...

spkrman15
11-07-2001, 10:33 PM
Thanks guys. I was sure there was a cheaper solution. I figured that paper would slowly rot away in a garage, so i haven't taken that route yet. Well live and learn...back out to level the lathe bed some more...you can never be too acurate. Patience right http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Spkrman