PDA

View Full Version : Machine Shop Practice Books...

sketch15
10-01-2001, 11:22 PM
Has anyone heard of a series of books by the American Technical Institute called Machine Shop Practices? It is an 8 volume set and covers things from running a shop to pattern making, foundry work etc. It is a used set and was last published in 1941.
Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks,
Andrew

Thrud
10-02-2001, 05:00 AM
The Best reference work I have seen is The "Metals Handbook" by ASM International www.asm-international.org (http://www.asm-international.org) - formerly the American Society for Metals. This is a 30 volume engineering/trade reference set and quite expensive, but it does have nearly everything you would want to know about metals and working them.

ASM International has tons of books covering such a wide area of expertise it is just scary. My personal favs are the "Making of Steel" by US Steel, "Radiation Damage in Metals", and "Failure Analysis in Metal - case studies". Check ASM out they may have what you are looking for.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 10-02-2001).]

sketch15
10-02-2001, 11:47 PM
Thanks Dave,
I will check it out.
Andrew

SteveO
10-06-2001, 04:50 AM
I have a 1939 version of the series that I picked up at a yard sale for a couple of bucks here in Illinois. In the front it states that it is a 7 volume series but I'm missing #7. The volumes in my set are:
vol. 1 - machine shop work/air tools/slide rule
vol. 2 - mechanical drawing/welding
vol. 3 - metallurgy/machine drawing/mechanism
vol. 4 - forging/foundry work/shop management
vol. 5 - mathematics/logarithms/physics
vol. 6 - tool making/tool design
I don't have a clue as to what vol. 7 was since there's no listing in any of the volumes for the set. I like mine a lot but I'm an old book nut and this thing pre-dates WW II. Kind of a time piece. Lots of illustrations and photos of cutting edge technology, circa 1939. Nicely bound and excellent shape. Wish I had the 7th vol. Anybody know what was in it?

sketch15
10-07-2001, 07:36 PM
Steve, I found this set at an old bookseller in a little town not to far away from me. If I remember correctly he had two volumes of the #7 book. I can check it out for you if you like the next time I am up there.
Let me know.
sketch15@earthlink.net is my email
Andrew

panchula
10-07-2001, 09:38 PM
If anyone has a spare Vol 4 & 5 of Machine Shop Practices I'd be interested. Vols 1,2,3,6,7,8 are interesting reading.

-Mike
panchula@umich.edu

SteveO
10-08-2001, 12:17 AM
I don't have any extras and would love to pick up that #7 volume. Another great time piece that my Dad bought new in Chicago in 1947 (for $8.00) was the 1947 Locomotive Cyclopedia by the Association of American Railroads. 8x12 hard back, 1400 pages and it has a section in the back on shops and terminals that's full of adds from companies like Bullard, King, Landis, LeBlond, Giddings & Lewis, Niles, Cincinnati, Warner & Swasey, Ingersoll, Lucas, Rockford. These adds show their machine tools out in the RR industry making all sorts of locomotive parts. Talk about big equipment, some of that stuff was bigger than my house! There's a picture of a G&L Horizontal Boring Mill with a hydraulic tracer milling a curved cover for the main cylinders on a steam locomotive. The operator looks small standing on his cat walk on the mill. Pre CNC technology at its best.

Steve