View Full Version : Bridgeport motor removal

03-15-2002, 03:41 PM
I am having trouble geting the motor off of a 2J Bridgeport head. I have set the variable speed to the lowest speed, removed the cover plate from underneath the motor and used the screws to try and compress the variable speed spring. That is where I run into a problem. The screws tighten up before the spring plate clears the retaining clip. I don't think they are bottoming out in the hole because I have tried shimming the screws with washers and the same thing happens. Has anyone had this problem before?

The reason that I am taking it apart is because I'm reasonably sure that the plastic insert in the variable speed cone is trashed (the machine sounds like it has a little Gremlin inside of it beating on the housing with a hammer!). Also, the upper part of the drawbar gets extremely hot after running for a while, the quill feels stiff like it is binding on something (checked for gall marks and found none, plenty of lube on it too) so I think maybe there's a bearing that is trying to seize up in the upper part of the head or there may be a problem with the splines. Spindle bearings seem fine.

This is one SICK Bridgeport. Any help would be appreciated!!!



John Stevenson
03-15-2002, 04:35 PM
Is this what you are looking for??



John S.

03-15-2002, 06:13 PM

I really appreciate the links but I forgot to mention that I had copies of those two pages. Sorry about that.


03-18-2002, 09:24 AM

I asked my brother in law about your question. He used to work as a machine maintenance guy for a large firarms co. Did lots of B'ports. He suggests you replace the two screws you mentioned one at a time with 2" screws and then let the spring expand pushing the attached goodies downward. He says this is better than trying to compress the stuff upwards. This may not be very clear, but he insists if you do it this way, you will see how to pull the motor. I've never worked on a 2J, only J heads.
Good Luck

03-18-2002, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I figured out what I was doing wrong. After compressing the spring as far as I could, I wasn't running the variable speed to the highest setting. This allows the lower half of the split pulley to be pushed upward so that the retaining clip, plate and spring can be removed. After I did this, it practically fell apart.

Just had a little touch of "Brain Fade". Live and learn I guess.