PDA

View Full Version : Induma Verticle Knee Mill

Aaron Calton
04-13-2001, 10:12 PM
I've just purchased a 9/42 Induma mill with 440 volt motors and must change them to 220 for home use. These three phase motors are not marked for dual voltage. I would like any information on motors that will fit this mill and a manual for it if anyone has one. I will gladly pay copying costs and shipping for the manual.
Thanks in advance,
Aaron Calton

gvasale
03-14-2002, 11:56 AM
i bought one of these too. mine came with a 220v motor. three phase. I took it off and put on a 110/220 single phase motor 1 1/2hp because i didn't want to mess around with phase converters. You will need to make an adapter plate if you want to do this because the motor shaft on the baldor motor is shorter than the original. If you want a 220 three phase, you can reach me by e-mail.
if the info is too stale, do as you wish

gvasale@aol.com

gvasale
03-15-2002, 09:34 AM
try tony@lathes.uk(?) website. comes up when you look forInduma millers on web. he says he has it for $70.

docsteve66
04-04-2002, 06:09 PM
3 phase, 440 volt motors are (most times) convertable to 220. You should find six wires with labels on the wires. On 440 the motor is wired with the windings in series (end to end). look carefully and you may see labels h1, h2, h3, h4. h1 to a power wire, h2 tied to h3 and h4 to a power lead.
If you connect (tie) h1 to h3 and h2 to h4 and connect power to h1,h3 and h2,h4 you have one phase converted to 220 volts. do the same to the others and they are all converted. make a miss connection andthe motor will growl and burn out. If what i said dont make snese, take it to any competant electrician who works on three phase stuff and i bet he will do it for a beer.
Steve

JCHannum
04-05-2002, 09:04 AM
Most three phase motors I am familar with have nine leads. Usually if it is voltage specific, it is connected internally, and a motor shop may be able to change it for you.

If you can get to the leads, they are numbered 1-9.

Most common 3 phase motors are Star connected. Low voltage connections are 1&7, 2&8, 3&9. These are connected to the line, 4&5&6 are tied together. High voltage line is connected to 1,2,3, and 4&7, 5&8, 6&9 are paired.

A Delta connected motor is the same for high voltage. Low voltage 1&6&7, 2&4&8, 3&5&9 are connected to line. These are not often encountered, and are marked on the nameplate.

Improper wiring usually causes smoke.

Aaron Calton
04-05-2002, 10:38 AM
Thanks for all the replies to my enquiry. I had the motor rewound, made a rotary phase converter for this mill and it is working fine. I REALLY like the "for real" mill as accuracy is MUCH better than my mill drill was capable of.
Thanks to all who replied,
Aaron Calton

docsteve66
04-05-2002, 01:40 PM
Mr JC Hannum is correct. I passed some bum info. Knew I should have made a sketch and then explain. Been a longtime since I had to twist wire for food. Sorry for the bum info, glad I was corrected. thanks
Steve