PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking for Hawaii machinists to shadow...

Cliffy15
12-26-2002, 07:07 PM
Hey there all!

I'm really, REALLY new - in fact, I have no equipment, yet! And what (whom, to be more specific) I'm looking for are any machinists in Hawaii who I might be able to watch and learn from.

Before buying my mill, and lathe, I'd like to know the workings a little better so I know exactly what type of equipment, tooling, and skills I'll need. =)

SGW
12-26-2002, 07:33 PM
Good idea trying to find somebody. I did the learn-from-books thing, on my own, and while I can attest that it's do-able, it became a whole lot easier (and more fun) when I finally hooked up with a couple of kindred spirits who knew more than I did.

Are there any adult education machine shop classes in your part of the world? That's a good way to get started, too.

rbregn
12-26-2002, 08:13 PM
You by the tools, move me over, find me a job, and I'll teach what you need to know!

docsteve66
12-26-2002, 08:38 PM
Cliff: you are doing it the smart way. Know you need and can use a tool before you buy.

forget rbregn, he is just a slicker trying for as vacation: Pay half my fare and two meals with a 30 day lay over time and give me 30 minutes of your valuable time.
For THAT I will teach you every thing I KNOW and give you 29 minutes of stories about the old days. You pays your money and takes your choices.
Steve

Herb Helbig
12-26-2002, 08:46 PM
I didn't know you could make chips in Hawaii!

------------------

Thrud
12-27-2002, 12:39 AM
Herb
Pinapple chips...

Cliffy
If you do not find a mentor, I suggest you check out the local high schools, tech schools or university to take a course or so. It will give you a solid grounding and also give you an idea as to what you would like for machinery. Safety is a prime concern as the machines can chew you up and spit you out easily. In the mean time read as many books as you can get out of the library to get some background knowledge. The more you learn, the less apt you are to get hurt.

Dave

docsteve66
12-27-2002, 11:14 AM
Cliff: If Thrud (a canadian at heart), liked warm weather he would be offering to come there and give you words of wisdom also. But being the spoil sport that he is, he has ruined my chances of a free trip. Never the less he has told you all any one can tell for a beginner- and even he was once a beginner-
Good luck, and hit the books, be your goal machining, or the arts.
Steve
(edit comment: Watch every worker you see, automoble repairmen, carpenters, machinist, bike repair men, watch WHAT they do and try to figure out WHY they do it that way. Once you do that you can ask intelligient questions, and you will find mentors every where. The is nothing to make a man talk and show better than someone who wants to know what and why a man is doing something. You will, if you do it right, be invited to learn, you will not have to search. Just be cautious in work and associations)

[This message has been edited by docsteve66 (edited 12-27-2002).]

Cliffy15
12-27-2002, 04:02 PM
Thanks for all the great tips, everyone! I've been looking around and I still haven't found any type of adult education classes around that suits my needs.

There are lots of welding, piping, and plastics courses around here but I'm still looking for some kind of metalworking course. Our high schools have basic jewelry making (pounding on brass and using drill presses/jigsaws) courses and some have wood lathe work.

I'm still hoping that someone from Hawaii will reply, but until that time I think I'm going to buy a copy of Joe Martin's 'Tabletop Machining' book. I'm also browsing the 'Machinery's Handbook' but that isn't very light reading. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

Here's to the prospective pineapple chips! Cheers! =)

chip's
12-27-2002, 07:16 PM
See if you can obtain a copy of South Bend's How To Run A Lathe. It is good and not too heavy reading. Good luck to you.

Al Messer
12-27-2002, 09:32 PM
How far do you live from the Navy Yard at Pearl Harbor? Ought to be some Chiefs there that would give you a hand.

Cliffy15
12-27-2002, 09:35 PM
Actually, I live less than 10 minutes away from Pearl Harbor BUT (And that's a big "but") as a civilian, I cannot gain access to the yard without being sponsered, and having proper paperwork, yada, yada, yada ... so I'd have to already know one of the machinists there. =)

L Webb
12-27-2002, 10:54 PM
Welcome Cliffy15
You might ask this question over on the Chaski Machinist Forum. Several fellows from Hawaii frequent the board.
Les
http://www.chaski.com/cgi-bin/machine_index.cgi

Tibertus
12-28-2002, 10:33 AM
Didn't a retired dentist from Hawaii recently win a major prize at one of the big shows? He made this incredible model of a P-51. Might be able to contact him? Look in earlier issues (this year) of HSM one of the machine makers has his story in their ads. It was one heck of a job the dentist did.

Happy Holidays

Sprocket
12-28-2002, 08:45 PM
Tibertus- good thought. Dr. Young C. Park, "Metalworking Craftsman of the Year" for 2002. It was a 1/16 scale F4U Corsair, and from the pictures, pretty amazing work. He is from Hawaii, but it doesn't say where.HSM, May/June 2002

Cliffy15
12-30-2002, 08:34 PM
Again, thanks MUCH for some very quality suggestions!

I am, in fact, presently looking up Mr. Young C. Park and hoping that I can find a contact number for him as well as figure out a way to approach him without invading his privacy.

Thanks to L Webb for the chaski suggestion, also! I will be there as soon as I can get this post, finished! =)

Still looking ... but getting closer thanks to you! =)

spope14
12-30-2002, 10:00 PM
Look into governmental training programs offered at the Pearl Harbor shipyard. Portsmouth NH offers these quite often to the civilians, or at least did two years ago, and back. They do this to help find some good people for the future. The navy can't staff all the jobs.