PDA

View Full Version : pecan cracker

Ellis Sawyer
04-16-2002, 09:16 AM
Does anyone know where I could get or look for plans for building a automatic pecan cracker?
Thanks

Thrud
04-17-2002, 07:51 AM
I use My 6 1/4" chuck - works every time.

lynnl
04-17-2002, 01:50 PM
Don't know where to point you for plans, nor how 'automatic' you're meaning. But the best pecan sheller I've ever seen consisted of an oak bed (about a 1X2,approx 10-12" L) with a pillar mounted vertically on the bed thru which was mounted an aluminum piston (about 1" dia on business end) whose center line matched that of your average pecan laying on its side. There was a peg on the side of the pillar to which 2 or 3 strong rubber bands attached. The other end of rubber bands connected to an oak slide. When slide was pulled back and released it impacted the aluminum piston which impacted the pecan on one end. Held (by user) against other end of the pecan was a moveable cast iron anvil ~= 1" dia with a partial aluminum tube that encircled about 2/3 of the cast iron. Before whacking the pecan that partial tube was slid over the pecan to contain the blast shrapnel. Of course this did only one at a time, certainly not feasible for commercial use, but the cycle time was very quick for home use. It did a beautiful job! The shell usually broke into many pieces and fell away, and the nut meats were almost always 100% intact. Mine eventually broke but I probably still have it around somewhere awaiting the repair that I'll never get around to doing.

bspooh
04-21-2002, 06:34 PM
I had one of my students make a nutcracker...It is a thing of beauty..it is all printed out also...but school is over now, and i won't have access to the prints until September, when I go back and teach..If you can remember in the next 6 months, post the question again and i will get the prints for you...I could fax them or mail them...I don't know how to put them on the computer and e mail them....hope this helps

brent